Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another poor sap with Bus fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
And regarding the rear wheel bearings. I'm not aware of anything Bentley stated about non servicing of post '73 rear wheel bearings but DUH, Bentley don't work here! It is still a moving part with a lubricant that has a lifespan. Just key on the fact that the outer bearing is not designed to be removed from the housing without being damaged. Just clean up and re-pack.
Bill

In Bentley chap. 9, pg 15-17, it details how to lubricate the front and rear wheel bearings... with a note in each section that says, "except 1973 and later models". However, nothing is mentioned about working on 1973+ models.

So if I understand you correctly, I just need to remove the old grease with the bearings in place, and repack with fresh grease? No new seals or anything else is required?

WilliamM: Hehe... You're welcome to have a BUS if you prefer. I won't hold it against you.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Hi. Yeah I see that. Don't know what they were thinking?? Wonder if the Vanagon Bentley manual would have the same/similar language towards the rear wheel bearings.
If you elect to perform this job, the outer bearing, if it looks ok, would remain in the housing. The inner bearing is easily removable. Still would use 4 grease seals for the total job plus a quality grease. While cleanliness doesn't need to be near surgical, as in an engine, some greases aren't compatible with others.
Bill.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

As far as your alt goes- you may have the 70 amp "camper" alt there- in which case you will have a different cooling boot than the more common 55amp. ALSO- (ask stu) the (+) out put is too long on replacement alt- so the tin cover will short out and cause havoc. Make sure --if your replacing-- to trim that stud down to the minimums and cover with insulator sheet of some kind.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
As far as your alt goes- you may have the 70 amp "camper" alt there- in which case you will have a different cooling boot than the more common 55amp. ALSO- (ask stu) the (+) out put is too long on replacement alt- so the tin cover will short out and cause havoc. Make sure --if your replacing-- to trim that stud down to the minimums and cover with insulator sheet of some kind.

I don't think the 70-amp alternators (AL108X) were around with the 1700 dual carb engines. (Ask Stu?) I think they came around later when the fridges and Eberspacher heaters improved.

Either way, alternator removal with the engine out can be a little harder, since the access to the bottom of the engine is limited. You'll want the lower right tin off, and need the long alternator bolt out from that access point. Perhaps let sleeping dogs lie, and work with your bigger fish to fry.

I'll stop trying to write lyrics in my technical posts now…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Ahhhhh... such a display of beauty...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is clean! Well, clean enough for my skills and patience anyway. Confused It's taken about 10 hours of cleaning to get here, and I'm happy with the appearance.

Now it's time for the fun stuff! First on the list is the new thermostat...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

sounds like a bumper sticker ---- think he's on an engine stand by now- Hows your trip going? no mishaps/bumps/tires to report?

Thought I read a Stuart post where his alt (+ ) post had grounded out on his alt plate- might have been someone else

Don't step in any!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Morning. Someone' been busy Very Happy
Entertain the idea of removing the fan shroud. Once this is done you are able to:
1- Inspect the rear motor mounts. They aren't as robust as the engine/trans cradle are and take a beating from the heat and possibly oil leaks in that area.
2- There is a crank pulley seal and o-ring you can inspect.
3- This is a way to access your alternator and related parts, such as the cover, boot, and harness.
4- Dipstick boot takes a beating.
5- Look at the oil cooler and replace its 2 seals with the correct material seals.
6- And finally. With the owner getting comfortable and building confidence with the shroud assy's removal it assures no fuc ups in that area that could hound him later on. The shroud removal is possible with the engine in the bus.
Hope this helps, Bill
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Entertain the idea of removing the fan shroud. Once this is done you are able to:
1- Inspect the rear motor mounts. They aren't as robust as the engine/trans cradle are and take a beating from the heat and possibly oil leaks in that area.
3- This is a way to access your alternator and related parts, such as the cover, boot, and harness.
5- Look at the oil cooler and replace its 2 seals with the correct material seals.
6- And finally. With the owner getting comfortable and building confidence with the shroud assy's removal it assures no fuc ups in that area that could hound him later on. The shroud removal is possible with the engine in the bus.
Hope this helps, Bill

and you can replace the bottom 2 studs with bolts so the thing will come out later without LOTS of swearing.

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hope this helps, Bill

Okay, a few more good ideas. Shroud of Chloe is coming off.

I wish I had a stand to support the drivetrain, as it is being supported by 3 jack stands currently. I have the engine stand and super-duper special yoke, but it doesn't do much good right now. Is separating the trans from the engine a good idea for a newbie to tackle?

Now for a new question: TSII location.
Since the engine is from a '73, it didn't originally have FI, and therefore no TSII port. From chatting with Rockerarm, there appear to be two options...

One option is using one of the smog pump injection ports (shown in the pic covered with a small piece of foil tape). Here is the doodad that went into that port...

It is threaded M10x1.0, the same as the TSII, but the threaded portion is about 1.5" down inside the exhaust port. In the pic, I show a brown line as being the surface of the head. There may be some way to thread the hole and use a threaded bushing sized for the TSII. (Similar to repairing threads on a stripped spark plug hole.)

The second option seems much more obvious after pm-ing with Rockerarm.
There is a boss located down below the left manifold stud (shown in the first pic). It can be drilled and tapped for the TSII.

But will either of these interfere with the engine tin when it's installed?

Hey, does anyone have a pic of where their TSII is installed? That would help.

Thanks for everyone's inputs! I'm listening to and learning from everything I can.

---WildIdea

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
and you can replace the bottom 2 studs with bolts so the thing will come out later without LOTS of swearing.

Which 2 studs are you referring to, Bill?
...other than Robbie and me, of course... Laughing

---WildIdea

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Separating the trans is 2 nuts and 2 bolts, one of which you likely have out already if the starter is removed. Piece of cake. Transmission weighs about 80 pounds, so it's easy to shimmy them apart and move out of the way.

Press in a new starter bushing while it's out. It's a cheap little brass ring that sits inside the bellousing. Now is the time to do it, same with a general starter and solenoid R&R, no real parts needed, just some time and high temp grease for the solenoid.

The fan shroud is held onto the engine by 4 nuts inside of the fan. He is talking about removing at least the lower 2 studs and replacing them with bolts. That way if you ever need to change the oil cooler, oil seals, oil pump, replace shroud, cooling flaps, look at cylinder tops, more access to your rear main seal, or just get a front and center view of the rearward side of your motor while it's still installed, you can easily rotate the shroud rearward to lift it out of the heaterboxes and off the engine. I did it.... I'm happy if I ever need to get back in there I will be able to.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Laughing what he said--

You don't really know the condition of your clutch- they are like light bulbs- they rather quickly fail after the first flicker- so I would definitely pop the pressure plate (mark it for reassembly) and at least inspect the disc for wear and signs of slippage - then step on the pressure plate and see if it has any resistance- nice to have a new one to compare it to though. You will also want to measure the disc as VW made several sizes --so if you need to change it out- on the road, would be nice to know which PP you have.

Don't step in any!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Shhh

I would try a threaded insert in the top of the air injection hole. It's going to be tough to find a M10x1.0 insert, and I don't think a heli-coil would give you the heat transfer you would want.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
You don't really know the condition of your clutch- they are like light bulbs- they rather quickly fail after the first flicker-

Would it make sense to just replace it, and keep the old one as a spare, if it's in decent shape? I mean, as long as I'm in the vicinity, why not?

And if so, order a new one from...? What other clutch parts should I get while I'm at it?

---WildIdea

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Shhh

I would try a threaded insert in the top of the air injection hole. It's going to be tough to find a M10x1.0 insert, and I don't think a heli-coil would give you the heat transfer you would want.

Robbie

A well seated helicoil should provide adequate heat transfer, if it's weak the worst that can happen is it stays rich a little longer during warm up, some buses required the TS2 extender to do that anyways in some climates. You'll still have to plug the hole deeper down first with a valve adjuster screw as a plug. The boss on the rocker box is for the 411/412 breather system, it'll likely take a while to warm up as well but should work fine. Option #3 would be above the plug like the 75 systems had, can't see the boss for that in that pic as it's out of the frame.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
williamM wrote:
You don't really know the condition of your clutch- they are like light bulbs- they rather quickly fail after the first flicker-

Would it make sense to just replace it, and keep the old one as a spare, if it's in decent shape? I mean, as long as I'm in the vicinity, why not?

And if so, order a new one from...? What other clutch parts should I get while I'm at it?

I'm with William. My engine is out on the floor right now changing the pressure plate. I had it off two years ago to inspect the clutch disc. The disc look good but I FAILED to notice how old the pressure plate was AND that it was a remanufactured one. Fast forward two years later and the plate is going south causing a week clutch pedal.

You should at least remove the pressure plate and disc and inspect. Some units were date stamped their manufacture date.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
williamM wrote:

First you need to know what size it is-- and spares are a great idea,

Don't step in any!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Here are the most beautiful VW clutch and transmission I have ever seen...

...as well as being the first VW clutch and trans I've ever seen. Embarassed

Not knowing what to look for myself, does anything look like it's in need of help? Bentley's tells how to remove, install and troubleshoot, but doesn't give hints on what to look for. And since I've driven it about a total of 6 miles with a pair of problematic carbs, I don't remember how the clutch felt. Any thoughts?

Edit: Sorry Bills... I didn't see your posts until I had already added this one. I'll take off the pressure plate next.

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

Looks suspiciously clean in there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another poor sap with Bus fever Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks suspiciously clean in there.

agreed, That thing is spotless... like it was serviced less than 1000 miles ago fresh.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 57

Jump to: