Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus + Road Trip
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Justin, can I have your permission to post the photos Fred sent me? I think you will like 'em.

Post away. Thanks for asking.
-Romans 8:38-39
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Laughing OK enough down time --where was the leak coming from

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
:lol: OK enough down time --where was the leak coming from

Haha, yeah. I was told it is coming from the cam plug. I'm hoping to pull the engine this afternoon to determine what needs to happen next.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

The cam plug is suspected, but make sure to check other things, too.
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
The cam plug is suspected, but make sure to check other things, too.

Will do. I hope it's a simple fix. The engine seems to run strong and I'd like to keep using it without breaking it open. We shall see.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

What a great bus, congrats. Sounds like a fun drive home, getting to know your new bus.
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
:lol: OK enough down time --where was the leak coming from

I pulled the engine this weekend. Cleaned everything and looked closely, especially at the cam plug. The only obvious problem was that the o-ring in the flywheel was rock hard. Installed a new ring, main seal, flywheel, clutch parts, etc. Put it back together and . . . still leaking like crazy.

Pulled the engine again. Spent 45 minutes cleaning and inspecting very closely the cam plug, galley plugs and case seam. The case was covered in oil over the entire surface of the lower half after only a 20-minute drive. Still nothing obvious. I'm wondering if I need to do the quick 'n' dirty fix of JB Weld on the cam and galley plugs (as well as the seam from the main seal to the bottom) to try to cover all the bases.

Last edited by Justin on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Was the back of the flywheel wet after the test run?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Do you have ability to start it out of the bus on a stand? Maybe that would help isolate the issue.
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Do you have ability to start it out of the bus on a stand? Maybe that would help isolate the issue.

Not at the moment. I might be able to set it up in the near future.
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Was the back of the flywheel wet after the test run?

No, not really. Most of the oil ends up completely drenching the inside of the bell housing before draining out.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

What about compression in the cylinders? If your rings are letting air get past it can pressurize the case and the engine will push oil out of wherever will let it out the easiest.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
What about compression in the cylinders? If your rings are letting air get past it can pressurize the case and the engine will push oil out of wherever will let it out the easiest.

That's something I've never thought of. It will be easy enough to find out.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Maybe a crack in the usual spot behind #3?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Embarassed can you apply air pressure to the oil light hole, then spray the engine with windex and look for bubbles?

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Maybe a crack in the usual spot behind #3?

As in, a crack in the head?

EDIT: Nevermind. I believe I know what you're referring to. I will check later.

Last edited by Justin on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
:oops: can you apply air pressure to the oil light hole, then spray the engine with windex and look for bubbles?

What do you mean by "oil light hole"?

On a side note, is the first line of your signature a reference to the Courtney Barnett album?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

Shop air into the hole the oil pressure light sensor screws into, clean up the case and pressurize the oil system, watch for leaks.
The crack is often on the flywheel side of the case in front of #3 cylinder.
Is the drain hole for #1 bearing clear?, or is it filling up the cavity between the seal and the bearing?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus + Road Trip Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Shop air into the hole the oil pressure light sensor screws into, clean up the case and pressurize the oil system, watch for leaks.
The crack is often on the flywheel side of the case in front of #3 cylinder.
Is the drain hole for #1 bearing clear?, or is it filling up the cavity between the seal and the bearing?

The drain hole is clear -- I pushed a piece of stiff wire down all the way to the oil sump. Some oil remains in the seal/crankshaft cavity and spills a little when I removed the flywheel. It is my understanding that a little bit of residual oil here is normal. Does that sound correct?

When pressurizing the oil system with shop air, does the drain hole need to be plugged as well?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: