Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I am contemplating buying a new steering gearbox for our '74 Super, and I see a few places that sell them. CIP1, WW, ACN, Top Line to name a few. There may be others I missed. The rest of my front end is going to be new; I might as well get a new steering gear. So if you were going to buy a new steering gear, where would you get it from?. If you bought a new gear from one of these places or somewhere else, how has it been working out for you? These 4 places list theirs as new, and I also see a few reman ones out there as well. Your recommendations are appreciated!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I've always had good luck with Topline. They seem to think highly of their Made-in-Spain steering box. If I needed a new one, I'd go with them.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

OK cool, thanks for your reply Tim! Wink Cool I noticed Topline has some parts they sell that are unique to them; will have to place another order!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

If you buy Topline's steering box, report back here and let everyone know if you liked it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I checked Toplines website, and it says the steering box is in stock. However, after I added it to my cart & checked on it; it says it's backordered. So I go back to the catalog listing, still says it's in stock. Weird......I will call them later & check.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

The only good and current company making new SB steering boxes is called WAT from Spain.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Mr. Duncan, I believe that is where Topline gets theirs from, IIRC. Do you speak from experience sir; meaning, have you bought one from them or had a friend who did? Thanks for your reply!, it is appreciated!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Mr. Duncan, I believe that is where Topline gets theirs from, IIRC. Do you speak from experience sir; meaning, have you bought one from them or had a friend who did? Thanks for your reply!, it is appreciated!

I have yet to use one, but I have held them in my hand, sold them to people, and have heard nothing but good things about them.

Might replace my own steering box soon, and will go that route.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Ok great! That's what I needed to hear! Will be placing an order with Topline soon! Thanks again!
p.s. I added TAC as a link just in case I order from your company!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Junkyardjockey wrote:
Ok great! That's what I needed to hear! Will be placing an order with Topline soon! Thanks again!
p.s. I added TAC as a link just in case I order from your company!

Awesome cool!

Yeah JON @ Topline is fantastic.

got my 71' super a front end rebuild kit from him.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I just got one for my son's 77 Standard. The box had something that looked like Spanish, but not the Mexican version I'm used to seeing. I'll have to go check tonight, maybe I get lucky and it's Spain-ish Razz

We had some "play" when we first got it on the road, and hadn't aligned the front end yet. After that, I had the misfortune of trying to drive it at freeway speeds. Don't blink, you might have drifted into the other lane, and they didn't have that new-fangled departure warning system in 77.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Checked the box and couldn't find an origin, but TRW is the manufacturer. It goes in tomorrow so will report back how well it works after that. I'm truly hopeful it can't get anything than better than what we have now.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Checked the box and couldn't find an origin, but TRW is the manufacturer. It goes in tomorrow so will report back how well it works after that. I'm truly hopeful it can't get anything than better than what we have now.

TRW in brazil yes.

They use a ball bearing with a PLASTIC retainer which breaks and the box gets sloppy.

Check out a few of the threads on here about the teardown of TRW boxes.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I ordered a steering box & a few other parts from Top Line & they will be here Tuesday! w00t!
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

Son is happy at this point. I had a new coupler that I hadn't installed, glad now I didn't try. Stopped by during the installation and mechanic has something on the bench, sparks flying everywhere. Apparently in 77, they riveted the coupler on. . .

Driving down the road, son says it stays where you put it now. Will have to see how it holds up over time.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would you buy a new Super steering gear box from? Reply with quote

I'd trust Topline for SB parts.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: