Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saw this for $800 and grabbed it
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Very helpful. Some of the German words, I don't know. Like the ones printed on the yellow side. Oh, and the ones under the pictures.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

google translate? deciphering german is hard but not so hard if one has a dictionary (=internet) and some time. besides, there is an english explanation in the post following that one.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

JKLNHYD wrote:
Sb001, can you explain what an autostick is? Is it automatic with the gear shifter on the floor?

You gotta ask the first time, right?

So....

an autostick is basically a 4 speed manual (same gear ratios) with a torque converter and an internal clutch disc that is operated via a vacuum controlled arm, instead of by a clutch pedal and cable. The autostick only has 3 forward gears (Low, Drive 1, and Drive 2) which are the equivalent of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in a 4-speed, and the torque converter takes the place of 1st gear. There is a vacuum tank under the left rear fender, and an ATF tank for the torque converter under the right rear fender. When you want to shift, moving the shift lever closes two contacts together in the base of the gear shifter which sends an electrical signal to a solenoid control valve in the engine bay, which is connected to the vacuum tank via a hose. The control valve opens a passage for the vacuum from the tank to pass through to a clutch servo diaphragm mounted on the transmission. The clutch servo pulls a pivoting arm connected to the internal clutch, which disengages the clutch so the car can shift, and then when you let go of the shifter the clutch re-engages. It sounds complicated, but it works in a fraction of a second--WHEN it's working. Cool Lots of VW'ers have ended up swapping their autosticks for a true manual because a) it's slower than a 4 speed, b) lots of moving parts, and c) just a lack of understanding how the system works and how to diagnose it when trouble occurs.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Solenoid control valve in engine bay

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

autostick tranny with clutch servo canister attached

Clutch servo mounted to installed transmission

Autostick clutch arm

ATF tank

torque converter

dual-chamber autostick oil pump (pumps ATF for the torque converter along with oil for the engine)

Pedal cluster (no clutch pedal)

Gear shift pattern

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the splanation. I never really knew about this before, until this thread.

And Garba, really? Google translate?! I'm not about to type all that into Google, lol.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

congrats sb001

this (outside of the engine) is way better than my recent acquisition of my 69 vw autostick bug.

I spent way too much.

However,
it drives
it rides
the guy who sold it to me was honest about the rust
and he even towed it across 5 counties to get it to me.

here in Indiana, such a bug, in such condition would've sold for 2X as much.

And, you were right, a lot of autostick hate got stirred up in this thread, not sure why.

you already know about vwar.org, but the other poster asking about an autostick may not have. Lots of useful autostick info there.

good luck with the superbug! I hope you keep it autostick, but, heck people are offering to throw you a free transmission (maybe I should've claimed my 66 was an autostick to get a freebie transmission out of somebody)

oh well, that's all water under the bridge now...

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Kyle your bug looks great to me. So reading your sig line- do you currently own 2 autosticks? Same years as mine!
Mr. Duncan was being facetious about offering a 4 speed to me. He has worked on my 69 autostick's engine (and did a fantastic job BTW.) Zundfolge is another acquaintance, they are both aware I won't convert my 69 since my dad bought it that way brand new. I wouldn't be as opposed to swapping the 72, but just don't care about spending the time or money.
This thread is pretty tame compared to some autostick-hate threads I've seen....

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

So we decided to go ahead and crack the engine case open anyway just to be thorough. Everything seems really good inside, the only thing we found are slightly pitted lifters.

Sludge in bottom of engine case (pretty normal)

Pitted lifters

All in all it looks like a really low mileage engine, with minimal wear. I am really breathing sigh of relief about the engine at the moment. It still needs brakes done though--and there's that nasty rust spot under the rear window... Confused

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Nice looking car, good price.

Engine looks very nice inside, great start for a quality build. How do the bearing saddles look? Is it still STD/STD?

I wouldn't be able to help myself if I had an autostick apart- I'd be throwing in a cheater cam, cleaning up the heads/increasing compression (just to tighten the deck and get a little better efficiency) and putting a deep sump on it.

I've been eyeballing a $1400 72 autostick super around the corner from my house for nearly a year, runs and drives but will die once the carb fuel bowl is empty, so might need a fuel pump and basic used-car TLC. A local guy runs a pair of CB Performance Solex carbs on his 68 auto, and it runs and shifts great, so I've definitely got the temptation...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Engine looks very nice inside, great start for a quality build. How do the bearing saddles look? Is it still STD/STD?

I wouldn't be able to help myself if I had an autostick apart- I'd be throwing in a cheater cam, cleaning up the heads/increasing compression (just to tighten the deck and get a little better efficiency) and putting a deep sump on it.

I've been eyeballing a $1400 72 autostick super around the corner from my house for nearly a year, runs and drives but will die once the carb fuel bowl is empty, so might need a fuel pump and basic used-car TLC. A local guy runs a pair of CB Performance Solex carbs on his 68 auto, and it runs and shifts great, so I've definitely got the temptation...

Bearing saddles still measure out standard. This thing looks so fresh I'm reusing everything except the lifters! I might go with double thrust bearings but not sure yet.
$1400 sounds like a steal if minimal rust issues and it drives OK. Carb fuel bowl should never be fully empty, sounds like a carb leakage issue, a simple rebuild kit might cure that. If that's the only problem with it, and no body rust issues, I'd say RUN!

1600 SP engine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Double thrust cam bearings? Anyone here know who coined this term and started using this in the engines he built? VW did a lot of things right but I can't imagine why they used half a bearing. On the flip side using half a thrust bearing works as millions of cars were made this way. I have used double thrust bearings on the engines I've built for years and perhaps its overkill but I'd rather do that and build things stronger than they need to be. Just my opinion.
CHEF Big DOG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Why cant I find stuff like this where I live all there is here is overpriced junk. And not even that many.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Bearing saddles still measure out standard. This thing looks so fresh I'm reusing everything except the lifters! I might go with double thrust bearings but not sure yet.
$1400 sounds like a steal if minimal rust issues and it drives OK. Carb fuel bowl should never be fully empty, sounds like a carb leakage issue, a simple rebuild kit might cure that. If that's the only problem with it, and no body rust issues, I'd say RUN!

I love the flat supers, my first was a 71 and this one is Damn near identical other than it is black upholstery rather than white like my last. I've got a 73 super now that is my daily, but for commuter traffic an auto would be nice. I should go with 1400 in cash and offer her 1000 to start, and see where it goes. She wants someone who will drive it, and I sure will...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

CHEF Big DOG wrote:
Why cant I find stuff like this where I live all there is here is overpriced junk. And not even that many.

Honestly I think that's usually the way it is here too, This is the first one I ever remember seeing in decent shape body-wise for less than $1000 and of course that was with a seized engine.
I know in lots of cases people have posted on here about giving up finding a decent one in their area and opt to buy one from the west coast and have it transported, cheaper in the long run.

1600 SP engine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

The cars are as individual as snowflakes, now 40+ years later careful inspection is all you've got to protect yourself from paying too much. Going back to page one and looking at your car yes it looks nice and from the outside you can see a late model universal case but it had a seized engine. You got lucky that it was something minor. What if it had a hole in the top and most everything ruined? Some things you can't spot during a cursory inspection. Sometimes it's like gambling huh? Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The cars are as individual as snowflakes, now 40+ years later careful inspection is all you've got to protect yourself from paying too much. Going back to page one and looking at your car yes it looks nice and from the outside you can see a late model universal case but it had a seized engine. You got lucky that it was something minor. What if it had a hole in the top and most everything ruined? Some things you can't spot during a cursory inspection. Sometimes it's like gambling huh? Very Happy

I took that into consideration, but still thought it worth the asking price for the condition of the body and the fact that at least it HAD an engine with it so maybe I'd get lucky. Usually it's either NO engine and/or a pile body-wise for around what I paid.

No engine and questionable body condition Think

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5833495942.html

All this one needs is paint Rolling Eyes

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/5799877668.html

Needs new block (maybe)--only $3500

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/5794150391.html

Umm what?
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5806515481.html

1600 SP engine
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

The explanation on the workings of the auto-stick was top notch. The only thing that worries me about getting one is the double-function oil pump. I've never seen new ones for sale.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

CHEF Big DOG wrote:

If sb001 didn't have the knowledge, experience, tools, parts, connections that he has, this car might not be worth the $750 to him that he paid.

At $85/hour plus parts and tools, his little treasure would be a money pit really quick.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The explanation on the workings of the auto-stick was top notch. The only thing that worries me about getting one is the double-function oil pump. I've never seen new ones for sale.

Tim

Tim you are correct unless you happen to stumble upon a parts hoarder that kept a NOS pump all these years, this is probably the closest you're going to get:

http://www.evwparts.com/vwparts//113115101A.html

That's rebuilt but uses a new oil pump body section and resurfaced separator plate, it also looks like they resurfaced the ATF pump section but I could be wrong. Probably just about as good as new. The pump on this one I bought doesn't look bad so I am getting the reseal kit from evwparts and calling it good. BugCity might have a NOS but I don't have the dough for what they'd ask for it.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw this for $800 and grabbed it Reply with quote

JKLNHYD wrote:
CHEF Big DOG wrote:

If sb001 didn't have the knowledge, experience, tools, parts, connections that he has, this car might not be worth the $750 to him that he paid.

At $85/hour plus parts and tools, his little treasure would be a money pit really quick.

This is precisely the reason I learned (and am still learning) to work on them myself. The 69 I have has cost me and my dad (by far more my dad) well over $10k over the years. They are too easy to learn to work on, and too many people around who will teach you personally, to dump a bunch of dough into someone else's coffers

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: