Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

I have a Ghia Vert with a 1500, new pea shooters...I've had enough VW's but none of them were this toxic... never had a vert but my 61 rag wasn't even this bad...

is this typical with a vert or is there something I should check??

Takes about 20 mins of driving to get bad but when I come to a stop it's really bad, so bad I can't stand it... Which is bad because I don't mind the faint smell of vw's it one of the draws for me.. Wink

btw it does have the heat exchangers on as well, all stock motor...
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

I'd say there is a leak somewhere in your exhaust system, probably in the heat exchangers. How do the heat exchangers look? Are they rusty? I've had two Beetle convertibles and there were no exhaust fumes in either that I recall.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

Leakage where the HEs connect to the muffler can aim a jet of exhaust into the fresh air of the HE... into the gap between the exhaust pipe and the sheet metal jacket. Post up a pic of each side and look for telltale black soot at the joint.

Worst case is a cracked HE but that is really rare.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with being a convertible. As everyone is suggesting, inspect your heat exchangers.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

I checked the HE before I started thread, everything appears as it should, maybe I need to look closer and put it up on jacks... Muffler is new, doesn't leak oil, took it for a 10 mile drive today and it appears to be worse, pretty bad as I have the top down...

Won't be able to really drive it until I get this figured out.. I will post some pics of the whole shebang when I get it up..
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

Try plugging up the heater ducts with some towels or whatever fits. That way you'll at least be able to drive around in the car until you can fix the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

good idea !!! I remember doing something like that many years ago,problem never got fixed and the heater channels just stuffed with whatever never remember even taking it out when I sold it... Laughing

I'll try it and see if it helps.. it will definitely narrow down to see if it's actually coming into the cab and not just being smelt from outside, either way it's progressively getting worse..
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

It sounds like the heat exchanger has a small hole in the exhaust pipe.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

Get two inch pipe plugs from home depot and plug at car until fixed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Get two inch pipe plugs from home depot and plug at car until fixed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also you could use this as a tool to determine which side heater.box is leaking.
Also look for soot stains in the heater boxes when you pull the hoses off to inspect them.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW Exhaust Smell in a Convertible Reply with quote

Sounds like karma from when you sold the other car with exhaust leaks coming into the interior .😉
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: