Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
It's the brakes, those billet rotors increase the track width.
17x7et40 are a perfect fit on 3 bolt supers but that's with factory discs

The rotors are exactly the same thickness from end to end as a factory disc.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

For a quick reality check, just pull one rotor (leave the caliper hooked up, but hanging off to the side) and put the drum back on. Mount the wheel and you'll know right away if it's the rotor or not. I doubt it, as Airkewld has their act together and has been doing this a while.

I know there's LOTS of variation in fenders, especially between OG and aftermarket. If your super has never been hit, you can do a quick yardstick measurement from the inside of the fender to the lip on both sides and compare to other supers. Depending on the wheels, the wider fenders might be cheaper if you haven't done paint yet.

-69T1
brettinthebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

thanks guys -

69T1 - yep - pete from airkewld has been great - im hoping to get in to take some measurements early next week -

i was curious if aftermarket metal fenders could be the issue - they were on the car when i got it 12 years ago - not sure if they are original or not -

car is in the build stage so if i end up going wider fenders no biggie -
im already running 1 1/4" wider in the rear

im just trying to make sure the next decision i make is the right one
brettinthebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

got into the shop today to see it in person and take some pics -

it looks much better in person .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

only when you look at it from the rear is when you see the tire due to the slope of the fender back towards the body - top view and front view it looks good.

im kind of giddy - i had this vision of this project over 12 years ago when i did a rough sketch, then a few years ago i did a photoshop concept

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to see it coming to reality is awesome - i dont have the skills to do the work myself so i applaud all of you that do - but im happy and excited to see this hit the road (fingers crossed) in the spring

ill keep you guys posted with progress[/img]
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

Why don't you just flare the back of the fenders to achieve the look you want? I don't even think it would mess with the lines of the running board.
brettinthebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 17x7 wheels not tucking under front fenders Reply with quote

took some more measurements yesterday - measured the disc mounting surface to the spring on the strut and then put drum on and did same measurements - they seemed identical -

i also measured the backspacing of the wheel and that seemed accurate as well.

so now im talking to wheel company again - ive read online and been told by them that all wheel widths are measured from inside tire bead and not the actual outside for the width.

so - at this point im still figuring out next steps -
thanks for everyones thoughts - thanks to pete @airkewld for being responsive to all my questions as well.

ill keep you all posted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: