Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Astro Provan GT

Poptop:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hightop:

They come up for sale anywhere from $8-15k.

Some of them have AWD.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Mr. syncro jael I just love your pacific blue pop tent--I made and installed a sunbrella pac blue headliner in my Baja bug in the eighties--amazingly no wrinkles but just bearly--It sucked up all the light inside as it was too dark for that little car--but it still looked awesome---
I sleep just fine in my tin top, with more first floor room sans cabinets, although I built a tilt up bench box behind the drivers seat for loose gear--

The perspective is whether you are in love with something or not--we don't know why we love something, we just do.
for the money, I expect I will have 30 k in my next vehicle, over a ten year period. it will sleep 4 adults and maybe a couple of children--It's a '75 GMC motorhome with the air suspension and front wheel drive--[she's a rocket]
true, she gets 8 to 10 mpg and needs load range E tires, but it's the airstream of motorhomes--all aluminum cabin with boxed steel tubular frame, onan 6kw gen and a stand alone shower. She weighs in at 12k lbs gross, loaded. that's the same as a ford excursion with a fat family sitting in.

the westy is too nitchy for the novice, and all the parts are intimidating. So many people want a rental experience, buying a vw for the summer and selling it on the way back to Denmark. vws just cant deliver that in disrepair, which all the cheap ones are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Astro Provan GT

Poptop:

Hightop:

Some of them have AWD.

Ease of operation:

Would you want to conduct a freeway speed lane change in mixed traffic or parallel park in either of those rigs?

Utility:

Can either take a 4x8 sheet of plywood or be used carry a load of large bulky items?

They're probably fine camping rigs, but would be dreadful as daily drivers or for hauling anything of significance.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

It looks like there is a big demand of well designed campervans (and not small RVs) in the states. As the newer transporters are missing from the market there are no suitable base vans except the Chevy which is not a beloved one as I can see.
However IMO this lack is only marginal and only represented here as these people found the westys useful. I think the general USA lifestyle cause that lack. I saw some advertising videos on RVs and the need for a king size bed with a ft thick matress, a 5ft wide tv, a full size fridge was always mentioned even at sprinter based vans.

And for the DIY section mentioned before: I think the few thousand price is achievable when you use 30yr old second hand appliances as they are the same in the westys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Astro Provan GT

Poptop:

[img]

Hightop:

[img]

Some of them have AWD.

Ease of operation:

Would you want to conduct a freeway speed lane change in mixed traffic or parallel park in either of those rigs?

Utility:

Can either take a 4x8 sheet of plywood or be used carry a load of large bulky items?

They're probably fine camping rigs, but would be dreadful as daily drivers or for hauling anything of significance.

How is a lane change different than in a Westy? The overall length appears to be pretty close to that of a Vanagon, so yeah I would happily parallel park it.

A Westy can't really take a sheet of plywood either... A Tintop can.

Realistically they both make pretty iffy daily drivers - so makes more sense to compare what they were made for.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Those Astros are neat looking ! I'd never seen those styles before.

Alas, they fall into the 'made for 2' category as best I can tell and why we went back to the small footprint of the VW Westy for the family of four.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Astro Provan GT

Poptop:

[img]

Hightop:

[img]

Some of them have AWD.

Ease of operation:

Utility:

How is a lane change different than in a Westy? The overall length appears to be pretty close to that of a Vanagon, so yeah I would happily parallel park it.

Realistically they both make pretty iffy daily drivers - so makes more sense to compare what they were made for.

Did you look at the rear windows on those who things? How do you think the visibility is for a right lane change in traffic? If you can't see out of them, then parallel parking is inherently difficult. US market Westfalia visibility is excellent.

Both my vans are Westfalias and they can easily absorb a whole stack of 4x8 sheets. I don't think either of those rigs even have a rear hatch, so any loading would be done through a narrow swing out side door.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
WLD*WSTY wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

I am not exactly familiar with the US market but even found fully equipped RV under 10k for sale
http://www.keystonervcenter.com/2001-coachmen-pathfinder-290rf-used-class-c-pa-i1948262

Not the best example:

"Unit has water damage throughout."

This is a good point to discuss. Very few american rvs stand the test of time (airstream excluded) as they are VERY cheaply built. Ever seen one blown over on the side of the highway? They are basically paper mache with some appliances built in. They fail apart with in the first couple of years and then they all succumb to water damage to some degree as the roof and seams can not deal with the constant flex.
By contrast westfalias were very well built which is why we are still driving them 30 years later in the vanagon world and even more in the bay and split world.
I have owned fifth wheels and truck campers, very expensive cheap crap. Will never go down that path again

Some friends were looking at used camping trailers and got an unusually honest appraisal from the salesman. He said you have to consider that every time you tow the trailer somewhere to camp, you're basically creating at or near a Category 1 hurricane condition for the structure, sustained for however long you're driving. Add rain and its worse. Over time, that takes its toll on seams, sealants, and structural integrity on a relatively cheaply built structure. Food for thought.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Astro Provan GT

Poptop:

[img]

Hightop:

[img]

Some of them have AWD.

Ease of operation:

Utility:

Did you look at the rear windows on those who things? How do you think the visibility is for a right lane change in traffic? If you can't see out of them, then parallel parking is inherently difficult. US market Westfalia visibility is excellent.

Both my vans are Westfalias and they can easily absorb a whole stack of 4x8 sheets. I don't think either of those rigs even have a rear hatch, so any loading would be done through a narrow swing out side door.

I guess I'm used to driving a lifted Westy and parking in front of a lot of cars, so seeing sky out the back isn't a great help - I use my mirrors to park.

You're right - you can get 4x8 sheets of plywood into a Westy, on an angle between the rear cabinet and the wall, where you're either being really careful or tearing up your trim. If we're talking flat loading plywood then rear cabinet goes bye-bye.

I'm not actually disagreeing here - I own a Westy, not a Provan GT... That's an emotion-based decision for me, you arguably get more for your money with the Provan, at least as it relates to using them as recreational #vanlife vehicles.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Those Astros are neat looking ! I'd never seen those styles before.

Alas, they fall into the 'made for 2' category as best I can tell and why we went back to the small footprint of the VW Westy for the family of four.

They actually sleep 4.

Bed downstairs, bed upstairs.

The Provan is 16ft, a Westy is 15ft - so pretty close.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

the provan is much much more rare than even a syncro westy.. especially if seeking a AWD version. they come up only once in a while. you can find a syncro westy 4sale any day of the week.. now prices.. that's a different scale of economies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the provan is much much more rare than even a syncro westy.. especially if seeking a AWD version. they come up only once in a while. you can find a syncro westy 4sale any day of the week.. now prices.. that's a different scale of economies.

This is true. Over summer there were about 4-8 Provans (that i saw) for sale nationwide. That said, they were priced from about $8-15k and didn't sell in the first 10 minutes, so in some ways easier to procure.

There may be a lot of Vanagons for sale, but there are very few where you feel like the price is justified / fiable.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

My friend has a pop-top Pro-van. It's a bit more spacious and accommodating for 2 people to hang out in although popping the top and converting the seats into a bed is quite a bit more complicated than those tasks are in a Westy.

My 2WD Westy is way more off-roadable than the Pro-van due to higher clearance and tighter turning radius (sure, the lengths are the same but I don't think the wheel bases are).

I think a Westy makes a better daily driver due to the seating arrangement but that's not why I bought mine - I personally wouldn't want any Vanagon as a daily driver.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

While you are totally infatuated with the Vanagons unique set up, you are forgetting about it's limitations.

It's not hwy. speed worthy, it cannot climb over steep grades in a single boundm it's cargo space is really limited, and parts to maintain them & keep them running are rediculas.

How bout the folks marooned with a blown engine as we speak?
It's going to take Ten Thousand dollars ,plus , pkus , plus, and one hell of a motel & grocery bill to boot.

Let re-align your thought process.
You can buy a brand new crate motor small block Chevy, for $4000.00, buy a rebuilt small block LT-1 for $1500.00 plus labor.

I can't see any more benifits of rolling in BFE in a Vanagon, beyond their unusual , odd platform, and interior amenities.

For this anyone should pay intergalactic repair costs, and have a totally unreliable vehicle to boot?

I don't get the tribes rational.
Be cool ( in their minds ) or be able to fly with dependability built in.

Maybe fun is being broke down in Never-never land with a big repair bill looming over your heads.

All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Interesting.

Plus the VW with the rear situated engine limits the loads you can roll in the rear doors.

How many motorcycles can you ramp into the back end and fly down to Daytona for Speed Week?
None.
Standard US Van, 2 real easy, 3 two forward ,one backwards, 4- two road bikes , two flat trackers,
And this is just in the back of the van.
The forward area you still have room for the amenities, and still fly at 8O mph.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
it's cargo space is really limited

I think this thread has already proven the Vanagon has superior cargo space to its closest competitors
Terry Kay wrote:
How bout the folks marooned with a blown engine as we speak?
It's going to take Ten Thousand dollars ,plus , pkus , plus, and one hell of a motel & grocery bill to boot.

Let re-align your thought process.
You can buy a brand new crate motor small block Chevy, for $4000.00, buy a rebuilt small block LT-1 for $1500.00 plus labor.

You can buy a newly rebuilt and balanced WBX for $4200-4600 and you could easily have used installed for $1500 so it's a wash.

Terry Kay wrote:
For this anyone should pay intergalactic repair costs, and have a totally unreliable vehicle to boot?

My Vanagons have been more reliable and cheaper to maintain than the Econolines and GM vans of my friends and relatives, all of whom bought these vans because they wanted something like a Westfalia but for "cheaper". After blowing tonnes of dough on vehicles that wouldn't hold half their value, they all sold at a big loss.
All the money I spend on maintenance and upgrades is offset by the appreciation in value of the Vanagon.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

All that said, does it bug anybody else that anyone with an internet connection and a few fingers can post some inane blog? I mean, really, does anyone need to read an article about how to car camp? Folks have been doing that for as long as there have been cars.

I'm certain that the nights I've spent in my Westy are still far fewer than those I've spent in a tent outside of my other vehicles or in the back of my old pick up truck.

Dam* kids better stay off my lawn too.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:

My Vanagons have been more reliable and cheaper to maintain than the Econolines and GM vans of my friends and relatives,

I would add that my friend can't fill the gas tank of his Pro-Van unless he somehow elevates the rear of his truck. The thing smells like propane and fuel most of the time too - we make him park far from the campfire.

To paraphrase another quote, "if it has wheels it will have problems".
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
photogdave wrote:

My Vanagons have been more reliable and cheaper to maintain than the Econolines and GM vans of my friends and relatives,

I would add that my friend can't fill the gas tank of his Pro-Van unless he somehow elevates the rear of his truck. The thing smells like propane and fuel most of the time too - we make him park far from the campfire.

To paraphrase another quote, "if it has wheels it will have problems".

It's a good thing Vanagons don't have trouble with leaking fuel.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

I don't get the tribes rational.

you don't get the rationale because you are too rational

the secret sauce of the vanagon Westy is GROOVEYNESS

all else is Sub-Groovey

no reliability or maintenance price is too high to attain GROOVEYNESS

it's like Nirvana but with peanut butter on it
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What? You do not need a Westfalia? Sacrilege? Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
If the goal is to travel and get out to hike, bike, explore, etc. then a Vanagon is certainly not needed.

In fact, it likely is an impediment if one does not have the time, skills or money. ( come to think of it, maybe I'm lacking all three)

One of my favorite sights of people just traveling was two retired ladies in the Anchorage, AK Walmart parking lot getting their bed ready in their van. A big mattress on the floor of a Honda mini-van with plates from the mid-west.

Probably a sub 5K vehicle and they don't even have to post in a "Long trip, did you make it? 1,000+ miles" thread. 😄

They went, they didn't need an RV, or even a camper van, for a pretty damn long trip. And that was awesome.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: