Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blondylab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1979 VW Bug Convertable with Fuel Injection ( my wife's dream car and she is not happy at the moment Crying or Very sad ). I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. The car starts and will idle all day with no problem. However, when driving the car after a few minutes it will lose power and shut off, just like it runs out of gas. The car then will not start, just like it's out of gas, but if I wait a few minutes it will start again, but it will do the same thing again within a short period of time. I've replaced the fuel filter, tried another fuel pump, replaced the gas tank, checked the double relay, and checked the fuel pressure at the cold start value ( 37 PSI )

Anybody got any suggestions as to what my problem might be ?

One thing I noticed from reading other posts here is that my fuel pump runs as soon as I turn the key, before the the starter is engaged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

That could be a fuel tank venting problem. Drive the car with the fuel cap removed and see what happens.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

Blondylab wrote:
One thing I noticed from reading other posts here is that my fuel pump runs as soon as I turn the key, before the the starter is engaged..

That's not good, you have double relay or AFM issues, or some PO has been messing with the wiring back there.

As for the quitting bring a small squirt bottle of gas along and put a teaspoon full into the S boot through one of the hose fittings next time it dies (put hose back after squirting), if it tries to run you have fuel issues, if it's still dead start looking at the ignition system or ignition switch.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
trisuli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

Sounds like fuel supply problem where there is just enough flow to idle. Could be a clogged fuel filter or as in my brother's case a cruded up fuel supply line.
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

trisuli wrote:
Sounds like fuel supply problem where there is just enough flow to idle. Could be a clogged fuel filter or as in my brother's case a cruded up fuel supply line.

Sounds right as I had a similar issue when I first purchased my bug. Idled fine, but would fluctuate from running fine while driving, to sputtering, to no power at all.

I had a combo of a kinked hose at the fuel pump as well as a filter filled with rust from the gas tank. As soon as I replaced the filter it ran great, but didn't take long to clog again due to the amount of rust in the tank. I flushed my tank and replaced the filter and it's been great since.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

I reckon vacuum leak so check air hoses and the s boot for holes,

Check flap in air intake is not stuck open a bit

look for any loose wires and bad earths
Blondylab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel problem 1979 bug fuel injection Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in posting about my problem, but I've spent the last 3 weeks checking every componet of fuel & electrical system & dealing with some really strange stuff. I won't get into all the details here, but suffice it to say that when the engine started with the fuel pump unpluged and 2 spark plugs removed, I was quite surprised. Anyway, the problem I was having was due to the wire from the # 2 temp sensor not being fully pluged into the connection in the wiring harness. As a result, the Control Unit was not receiving the correct engine temp signal and was just dumping fuel into the engine.

Car is running fine now, but I would like to thank all those who replied to my post and if you ever run into problems with your fuel injection, make sure to check the temp sensor cause it can cause some major problems.

Thanks to all Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: