Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering oil temp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I'm on a mission to lower the oil temp of my 2109cc, I'm going to change one thing at a time and document the results. I posted a topic last summer when I pulled out the 2109 and installed my 1760 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632001&highlight=
I was surprised how much cooler the 1760's oil temp was.

Last month I drove my bug up to Portland (with the 1760) and had great oil temps for the whole trip, the only time it got high was going up the mountains between California and Oregon, hit 230 which is nothing to panic about.

Recently I put the 2109 back in with a few different parts on it, a 1-5/8" sidewinder and a different fan shroud which actually has more of a scoop to send air to the oil cooler than my other shroud. Well long story short, my oil temp is higher now than last summer. A short little freeway drive in 90* weather got it close to 250. First thing to change is the shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

That's hotter than my engine gets in the Bus! You must have made it too high of compression for your camshaft or something, Does it have dual valve springs, Does it have external oil cooling. It's a DogHouse right! I don't have external cooling and oil temp is fine.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

Are all of the tins in place?

Doghouse ?

Cht?

Oil pressure ?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I lowered the oil temps 15* on my 2276 in the Ghia by covering the oil lines that pass thru the exhaust with a heat sleeve tubing. Aircooled.net sells it. So does Jeg's and Summit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

Does one engine have stiffer valve springs than the other? That could account for the increase in oil temperature. Cam/lifter friction is the main contributor to oil heat.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

Different size crank pulley and alt pulley and a belt will do it as well.

Count the number of revolutions the alt turns with each revolution of the crankshaft. 2:1 or a little more helps a lot.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I went the opposite direction of racer dave. I wrapped my exhaust with heat wrap and saw a 20 degree drop.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, I got distracted with my 65 bug for a few days.

Yes the 2109 has dual springs and the 1760 has single hd springs. I was expecting the 2109 to run hotter but at least with my other shroud it stayed in the safe range unless it was 100 outside.

I'll put my other shroud on today, That is pretty much the only thing I changed since the last time this engine was in my car. I have an early doghouse on now and my other shroud is a late doghouse from a FI beetle. I went to the earlier shroud because it has a larger scoop that sends air to the oil cooler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But somehow the other shroud cooled better.

My head temp is 300ish when cruising, that hasn't changed.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

Add a velocity ring, it makes a difference
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Add a velocity ring, it makes a difference

My FI shroud has one
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I forgot to update this but I put my other shroud back on and my oil temp is about 30* cooler now, my head temps are pretty much the same. I guess VW made some significant improvements to the FI shrouds.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

What weight oil is in each motor?
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

"What weight oil is in each motor?" I think this is an important question ...

Try using the thinnest oil you can get away with while still respecting the "10 psi per 1000rpm" rule while warmed up, this will help oil temp because the oil cooler bypass circuit uses oil viscosity to detect a cold engine condition and bypass the oil cooler.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

"B" sure you got the wide fan in it. and..Ive seen some shrouds with that slot open wide and some closed up I bend them open so they scoop/collect/redirect the air better.
so is the temps the same as the 1760 now? or??
Ive also seen some shpruds that the dog house portion was spot welded to but leeks air like hell.I use polyurathane to seal them up good all the way around, and be sure you have the hoover bit thingy in there .I made somethen else to seal the shroud to the cooler. also some shrouds dont fit the cooler snug and nobody seems to use sealing foamtape to seal it so the air dosent go around the cooler. there are lotsa places to improve the cooling system. I dont know if there is a driver side hoover bit type of thingy or what but I like to try to seal that side too as there is a gaping open spot in that aera too.I dont run the brest plate or the other one so I dont know if that open portion is sealed off from the engine compartment or not....although I think thats not really heated air, or just wasted air. lotsa peices&parts I need to look at when I put my 356 togeather.
gladd you got it cooler, atleast that tells you the motor isant fixen to go south on your northbound trip.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

What shroud did you put on that ran cooler? Was it your FI shroud? Besides the velocity ring what else was different (ie is the air scoop that goes to the oil cooler different then the one on the primer colored shroud pictured above)?

Thanks
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

The shroud that was on my 1760 was the FI shroud which is now on the 2109. The shroud that I initially had on the 2109 was an earlier doghouse without the velocity ring but with the scoop like in the picture.

The 1760 had Rotella 15-40 synthetic blend during the hot summer months and maintained 10-12 psi per 1000 rpm @ 210* oil temp.

The 2109 has Delo 5-40 synthetic, It has higher oil psi than the 1760 even when my oil was @ 245* it still had 10-15 psi per 1000 rpm, I've noticed the 2109 has about 50 psi on the freeway at 3800 rpm with the oil at 210* F

With the other shroud on the 2109, my oil temp wouldn't level out, it would keep rising and wouldn't be able to cool down very much at idle, the FI shroud will cool the oil more when coming to a stop after a freeway cruise.

So far I'm pleased with my temps and how the engine is running
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I'm running a 5-30W synth in my 2087 with hydro lifters and still plenty of oil press.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

50psi at 3800 is too much pressure. Try 10-30 or 5-30 next.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

I've been using the velocity rings on everything where temp might be an issue, and it really works. It was worth a 20º drop on the engine in my split bus, with no other change. That's with a shitty 36hp doghouse style aftermarket shroud, and no thermostat or flaps
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering oil temp Reply with quote

Which FI shroud did you put on?

From this link (1/2 way down on the first page) there are two versions-the early one with a scoop and the later version with a peanut shaped hole for the cooler.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: