Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34-4 PICT California
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

Anybody have experience or thoughts on this carb? I've seen them a few times but its been awhile. This was a California only carb late 74? . I remember seeing the intake which was also unique using dual heat risers and associated tin, pretty rare stuff now. Thanks in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

Andy (glutamodo) seems to be the resident Solex guru on this site. As you mentioned, it's a 74' only carb for California. I bet that baby runs LEAN to say the least to meet Cali's smog regulations.

I'm going to be following this thread. It would be interesting to know more about that carb.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4397042

I was curious about this carb and found this excellent thread.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

If you read German, there's a DVG (the company that actually made these for VW) manual that discusses the PICT-4 series a bit, in theSamba archives:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/solex_30_34_german.php

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

Hi. I actually like this carb. On the carb's left side was a temp valve that would reduce the accel pump output when warm. We used to put an o-ring from the carb rebuild kit in this valve's groove and this simply blocked the fuel from being diverted back into the float bowl. This allowed the same amount of gas available for the acceleration pump circuit when warm as it did when cold. It helped with the flatspot condition.
Bill
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

I have one of these rebuilt by volkbitz. I like it and it got great mpg on my Miami road trip last year 35/gal during one 330+ mile stretch - but it idles kinda rough. I switched back to a bocar 34-3 that I've been very happy with for the last year.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Anybody have experience or thoughts on this carb? I've seen them a few times but its been awhile. This was a California only carb late 74? . I remember seeing the intake which was also unique using dual heat risers and associated tin, pretty rare stuff now. Thanks in advance.

I like this carb, it's rare.Take good care of it - historical piece Smile

The dual heat risers were another improvement that came with the latest carburator version cars. I think it was from 1975(?). Anyways, heats up the intakes faster. Good struff!
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I have one of these rebuilt by volkbitz. I like it and it got great mpg on my Miami road trip last year 35/gal during one 330+ mile stretch - but it idles kinda rough. I switched back to a bocar 34-3 that I've been very happy with for the last year.

The idle circuit on the 34 PICT-4 is the same as 34 PICT-3. Idling is a challenge on these since it tends to run too lean. If it does not idle perfectly (mine didn't), I can recommend to do some tweeks:

- Plug the little hole on the throttle valve plate
- Increase the Idle Jet to .60
- Main Jet from 127.5 to 130 or higher

Remember to re-adjust the Bypass and Volume Control screws. Should work fine now if the rest of the engine is tuned right.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. I actually like this carb. On the carb's left side was a temp valve that would reduce the accel pump output when warm. We used to put an o-ring from the carb rebuild kit in this valve's groove and this simply blocked the fuel from being diverted back into the float bowl. This allowed the same amount of gas available for the acceleration pump circuit when warm as it did when cold. It helped with the flatspot condition.
Bill

Sure, but then you disable the functions of the temperature compensated accelerator pump, which was an imrovement.

Correctly adjusted the 34-PICT 4 accelerator pump gives 1.9 ml at cold engine, 1.1 ml at warm = more correct fuel mixture.

The simpler 34-PICT 3 gives 0.16 ml at all temperatures, which may be a little too lean when cold, and a little too rich at warm engine.

My experience from playing with these carbs are that flat spot is better dealt with by increasing the Pilot (Idle) Jet to .60.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

I don't understand how some say any 34pict carb can "idle too lean." What is the idle mixture adjusting screw doing in this case? I'd really love to see a demonstration with an O2 meter hooked up to one of those engines in that case.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
vamram wrote:

The idle circuit on the 34 PICT-4 is the same as 34 PICT-3. Idling is a challenge on these since it tends to run too lean. If it does not idle perfectly (mine didn't), I can recommend to do some tweeks:

Remember to re-adjust the Bypass and Volume Control screws. Should work fine now if the rest of the engine is tuned right.

Won't gas mileage suffer with those mods? And I'm using a DVDA distributor which requires the hole in the throttle plate.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

here's a recent thread, maybe he can supply more info
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641303&start=0
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Boble wrote:
vamram wrote:

Won't gas mileage suffer with those mods? And I'm using a DVDA distributor which requires the hole in the throttle plate.

I would think so, sounds like a band aid to cover loose throttle shaft bushings and improperly cleaned idle passages. I can make mine puff black smoke if I feel the need with stock jets and the hole in the plate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I don't understand how some say any 34pict carb can "idle too lean." What is the idle mixture adjusting screw doing in this case? I'd really love to see a demonstration with an O2 meter hooked up to one of those engines in that case.

Robbie

Not to mention you can bump up the pilot jet for more fuel during idle.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-4 PICT California Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Not to mention you can bump up the pilot jet for more fuel during idle.

I showed up to a car recently where the owner was convinced that they had an oil pressure issue, (wanted to buy a pump,) electrical issue, (wanted to buy an alternator,) and a hesitation issue, (wanted to buy a carb.)

The mixture screw was fully seated and it was running so lean that the warm idle would bog down to about 350-400 rpm and light up both the idiot lights. Laughing

Sometimes all it takes is a little talk with the car. Ask it what it needs. Don't just blindly follow instructions without asking "why" you're doing what you're doing and "why" you're getting the results you are.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: