Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
armypathfinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

This has been bugging me for years and it just occured to me to ask around - I've had numerous MK1 rabbits over the last 25 or so years, and they all had pretty normal sun visor set ups. I picked up an '83 GTI last year and it doesn't have visors, nor any holes where they normally would be on a rabbit. This is the 2nd '83 GTI I've had like that. I once had an '84 GTI with the typical rabbit sunvisor setup. What gives? Did '83 GTI's just not come with sunvisors??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

having purchased a new 83 USA version GTI in 83....YES, it had sunvisors
armypathfinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

interesting. Do you remember how they were mounted, because neither of my '83s had any indication that they ever had either the outside corner swivel mounts or the inner mounts to either side of the rear view mirror. I even removed the inside windshield trim all around to see if maybe they had been removed and the holes covered over with a non original trim piece, but there weren't ANY mounting holes underneath the trim in either one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

feel the headliner, holes are in it... id assume new headliner material covered the holes in the corner... usa westy bunny lack mounts by mirror... and gti mirror glues to glass vs in roof like german... they put their dome light in middle between them till moved to center of healiner...
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

Car had a felt headliner and had sheet metal screws holding pivot to roof at APillar side of roof
armypathfinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

nope, absolutely no trace. Original headliner. This one is identical to my last '83.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

i call bs on it being oe headliner... had new felt applied to the board.. cause it would be sagging by now.. did way too many of them in the late 80s.. aka 10 year max ive ever seen.. most had saggy issues by 90 cause the glue on the rear hatch seal dried out and it turned into a sponge.. go feel the felt... there will be holes in the cardboard backing

my guess is the colors did not match, so they left the visors off
armypathfinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk1 GTI visors - did they have them? Reply with quote

The back of the headliner IS sagging like hell. I had an '84 model at the same time for about 6 months and what was left of it's headliner fabric matched the '83 exactly - but it had visors. I didn't keep them to swap over though because they had gotten wet and ballooned out and rusted to the point of being totally unusable. I was an idiot and forgot to keep the trim pieces that had the visor cutouts though - DOH! And this looks identical to the previous '83 that I had. As bizarre as it seems, it looks like some '83's for some reason just did not have visors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: