Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Since my car is actually not running right now, that is the next item on the agenda, to finish electrical (not very exciting, thats why I put it off and worked on the suspension), a few odds and ends like wipers, etc, and get it running so I can see what it feels like. I dont have adjusters in the front beam, just raised spindles, so any adjusting would have to be done in the back. That would entail getting type 2 cv and the necessary other items, notching the spring plates, and deciding on shocks.
Douglas, your car looks great, if I didnt already have this car at the stage it was at, I would have done a baja. I kind of like the front end a little higher look.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Since my car is actually not running right now, that is the next item on the agenda, to finish electrical (not very exciting, thats why I put it off and worked on the suspension), a few odds and ends like wipers, etc, and get it running so I can see what it feels like. I dont have adjusters in the front beam, just raised spindles, so any adjusting would have to be done in the back. That would entail getting type 2 cv and the necessary other items, notching the spring plates, and deciding on shocks.
Douglas, your car looks great, if I didn't already have this car at the stage it was at, I would have done a baja. I kind of like the front end a little higher look.
Don't be intimidated about the electric, mine was the worst of the worst. For some reason VW bugs always get messed up. I think because its literary in your face. PO have the need to tinker or tweek. What I did I started at one end of the fuse block worked across. What was not stock or in the correct slot was removed and replaced. Great wiring diagrams in the technical section of the Samba as well. Or google it and look at images, mine mess before and after. Change the subject I was looking at your trailing arms pictures, are those stock and somebody
beef them up? if so amazing what they did back in the day. like those
pictures I showed of the first set of my stub axles I had (bent) I think
somebody made them as well, back in the day. I think the company was
McKenzie? What i could find out.

before

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

today

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I bought the arms already done. They are stock arms reinforced with what I think is a kit that used to be sold by Prowlers. Maybe McKenzies also. I bought them a while back at the Pomona auto swap meet. Didnt have a plan to use them back then, but glad I had them now. I will just take one wire at a time, and make the electrical work. The electrical in vw's has always been messy looking. You cleaned yours up pretty nice.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

The project for this weekend, was to mount a remote oil filter. I had bought a ready made bracket that hangs the filter off the drivers side, rear bumper mounting point, using the same bolts that hold the bumper bracket. It did not work for me, because my filter adapter pointed the hoses to the rear, and wouldnt clear the fender. I decided to make my own bracket rather than buy a new filter adapter. I also wanted to make some sort of shield for the filter, because it will be hanging behind the tire, and could get hit with rocks etc.
Here is the shield I made

here is the filter, bracket, and shield on the car. You can see the 3 nuts that hold the shield to the bracket. I welded the bolts to the bracket, so the shield slips over the bolts, and the nuts hold it on.

The hoses currently hang lower than the shield, but they are too long. If after I cut them to fit, they hang lower than the shield, I will weld a "skirt" to the shield to protect the hoses.
Here you can see it with the fender on. It sits a little higher than the muffler.

When I change the filter, I will have to remove the shield, but having the filter here will keep the engine compartment clean.

I notice that many of my pictures turn out blury. I apologize. Im a couple of months shy of 62, and my hands shake. No matter how much I try to hold my phone steady, it just frigging shakes. So Im sorry, and I will keep trying to take better pictures, you wouldnt believe how many I reject because they are even worse than the ones I post.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Here is a sample of a rejected picture, but one I think helps explain the filter mounting.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
No matter how much I try to hold my phone steady

All good man, shaky picture is better than no picture. I dig the shield, but you're going to move those low hanging hoses right?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Yeah. the hoses are too long, hopefully when I fit them right, they will be behind the shield/filter.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I had an oil filter setup just like that in my 67 street Bug, with similar hoses, but not hanging low. I also didn't have a shield to protect it. But for offroad, the shield's a good thing.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I got a deal on some barely used Bilstein shocks for the rear. They are replacing some KYB that are completely blown out. But here is something interesting. Both are stock replacement, but:

the KYB shock is about 3/8" longer than the Bilstein, so if the Bilstein is long enough for the stock set up, and safe, you have 3/8" to play with on the KYB, maybe enough for a small notch on the spring plate? I looked up KYB specs, and on their website, they say the Excel G 343144 for the rear, is 16.46 extended, the Gas-A-Just KG5529 is 16.3 extended. These are both stock replacement shocks.
I could not find any specs listed for Bilstein direct replacement shocks.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Well you don't want to over extend your shock, so I wouldn't want it the shock being mounted at it's physical limit. Funny though, KYB shocks are usually too short.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the shocks, mounted to the top mount, but hanging at full extension on the bottom, with the spring plate on the bottom stop. You can see the KYB shock is about 1/2" longer than the Bilstein.

I might go to type 2CV's, and with moving the bottom shock hole up a little, and using the KYB shocks, it might work with no other shock mount modification?
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I think you might be happier with the Bilsteins and stock travel vs a little additional travel (1/2" or so) and the KYBs. Just my 2 cents. The Bilsteins are a significantly better shock.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

The only reason I am considering a little to the travel, is that I am concerned about a lot of clanking with the spring plates now resting on the stop. In your experience, has this been an issue?
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I used the rule of thumb from the Hibbard book and adjusted the spring plate (un-loaded) to just cover the bottom spring plate cover bolt hole. I did get some clanking, but it never really bothered me too much. My spring plates were initially on the stops, but eventually settled a bit and were just off the stops. Brian now owns the car, he can give you a 2nd opinion on the clanking in the yellow bug.

A smaller/weaker shock is not going to dampen the rebound as well as good shock, so you still might end up with some clanking even if you go with the KYBs and notched spring plates. Have you considered limit straps?

By the way, I like how you modified/strengthened the trailing arms.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

The Bilstein B46-0034 is definitely a better shock than a KYB Excel G 343144 (formerly called "GR-2"). The Gas-A-Just KG5529 is a better ride in my opinion than that Bilstein. I consider the Bilstein to ride harsh. Bilstein makes shocks that are better than the Gas-A-Just, but at 2x the price or +.

For those who consider offroading to be when they drive on the lawn at the park for a car show, the GR-2 / Excel G is a softer ride. It should be. It costs about 1/2 of what the Gas-A-Just costs. The GR-2 / Excel G is kinda like a Gabriel Red Ryder cheapo FLAPS aftermarket shock.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
joemama wrote:

All good man, shaky picture is better than no picture. I dig the shield, but you're going to move those low hanging hoses right?

Your making progress, don't they make
A adaper plate to the oil pump, then
Screw on filter, no hoses? Mabe a street
Car, what you have would be fine? Im thinking
Less hoses, less leaks or getting caught
On something? But nice job! So many
Articles on external oil coolers & filters.
Some people swear by them some not.
What ever works for you may not work
For the other guy. Keep up the good
Work, looking good.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Douglas A wrote:
Brian wrote:
joemama wrote:

An adapter plate to the oil pump, then
Screw on filter, no hoses? Maybe a street
For the other guy. ...

The pump mount oil filters hang pretty low too. And they get in the way of most offroad bumper cages. OK for street only use. Not so great for offroad use. They are also not real high quality pumps. The flow is relatively poor. There are also pumps with covers with out and return bosses for hoses, that are also not necessarily such great pumps.
SoCalBajas Member
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Douglas A wrote:
Brian wrote:
joemama wrote:

An adapter plate to the oil pump, then
Screw on filter, no hoses? Maybe a street
For the other guy. ...

The pump mount oil filters hang pretty low too. And they get in the way of most offroad bumper cages. OK for street only use. Not so great for offroad use. They are also not real high quality pumps. The flow is relatively poor. There are also pumps with covers with out and return bosses for hoses, that are also not necessarily such great pumps.

Thanks Richard for the information.
I don't think clearance is a issue
Or the bumper cage would be a
Problem, however did not give any
Thoughts on quality and the oil
Volume or pressure. I don't know who's
Picture or engine this is, just using it for
Example. This is what I was thinking of.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I don't want you to think I'm saying those pumps with the filter are BAD. Just that they're not "Good" quality.

Aside from getting in the way of most offroad bumper cages, they also put the filter in the path of the hot air exiting from the left side cylinders. Maybe cooler than the oil passing through the filter canister, but still much warmer than the outdoor air.
SoCalBajas Member
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Douglass, I run a filter pump on my fiberglass buggy, and have for about 16 years. It has done the job. When I first installed it, I remember I had to grind on it a little, as the filter "arm" hit the case, and it would not bolt down flat. I do like the clean install it provides, and less possibility for leaks. This time I wanted to try the remote filter deal. Also, I am running a stock muffler, and dont think the filter pump would have fit.
Richard, thank you for the advice on the shocks. I am going to use the Bilsteins in the back, because I have them, also because I have Bilsteins in the front. My friend that has had a vw shop for 40 plus years, agrees with you, that the Gas-A-Just is a better riding shock. I am thinking of doing a small notch on my spring plates, and will have to figure out a way to raise the bottom of the shock on the lower mount to compensate for the notch. Had I not welded a reinforcement to the shock mount already, I would have cut it off, removed some metal from the round part, and welded it back on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: