Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

So, I got a deal on some Porsche 944 stub axles, axles, and CV's. Got to clean them up, but they look O.K.. Need to get some flanges for the trans. I have a friend who has a Thing trans, that is broken from the Thing being rear ended, so I will get the flanges from him. I went ahead and notched my dual spring plates about 3/16". Only one of the plates gets notched. I slipped a piece of paper between the notched plate and the non notched plate, so you could see the notch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This resulted on my gaining about 3/4" extra droop, making the car sit more level, and I hope this will be enough to soften the ride, and stop clanking from the spring plate hitting the lower bump stop. I think it will also help the torsion bars from settling, as they wont be wound up as much. This also had the effect of making the stock spec shocks too short. If you look at previous pictures you will see that the Bilstein shock was only about 3/8" longer than the total travel of the trailing arms. Now it is exactly the same length of the full droop of the trailing arms. It does not allow for any safety marging, and potentially makes the shock the lower bump stop.

Because of the reinforcement that I have done to my trailing arms, there is not enough room on the lower shock mount "cup" to just drill a higher hole to compensate for the too short shock. So I experimented with making an extension, by using the eyelets from my old blown out shocks.

Unfortunately, while it had good potential, I couldnt keep the rubber bushing from melting while welding (it literally caught on fire, should have taken a picture), so its a no go. I have another plan, and will post photos when I get that done.
I also managed to make the car look like its been offroad, though it has not left my driveway.

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

So, as I mentioned before, I worked on a different idea for extending the shock. The reason I cant just drill a higher hole on the lower shock mount, is the way the reinforcement tubes wrap around it

so I made something that bolts unto the shock, and slips into the existing shock mount. It uses the original shock bolt to locate it I had an extra stock trailing arm I used to fit things.

after I mount everything up, I will drill a hole thru the rear of the mount and put a bolt thru the mount and the adapter, just to make sure it doesnt rotate.

I will post pictures of the car after I bolt everything up.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Quote:
put a bolt thru the mount and the adapter, just to make sure it doesnt rotate.

Because if it DID rotate, the shock would not work, it would flop until it broke something, like the shock itself.

You need to make sure the shock doesn't bottom out before the spring plate does. You have made the compressed length of the shock longer as well as the extended length.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

There is very little chance that the shock mount extension I made will rotate, even without the bolt. It is pretty much trapped all around. It could wiggle some, without the bolt. You are right that I need to check to see if the shock will bottom out in compression, and might have to lower the upper spring plate stop. All I am after, is the same amount of travel, and ride, as a stock bug, but raised. This could all have easily been accomplished with raised spring plates, had I not been too cheap to spend the money.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Just want to correct something I said above, with raised spring plates, you would still need different shocks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Just want to correct something I said above, with raised spring plates, you would still need different shocks.

Yupp!!!

The seller of "Raised/Lowered Spring Plates", does NOT offer anything to adapt shocks to fit with the non-stock spring plates.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

So, I am not happy with the adapters to extend the shocks that I made. They function great, but as Richard pointed out, they push the shock up too far, and I end up loosing about 3/4" of shock travel. I feel like this has become the only thing I work on, but here it goes. I decided to modify the shock mounts by cutting them apart and reworking the spot the bolt that holds the shock goes thru.

On the next to last photo, you can see the shock eyelet, the shock sits about 1/4" lower than the bolt hole. I think this is perfect now, giving me the optimum amount of shock travel. I still need to fully compress the suspension to see if there is enough shock travel to get me to the upper stop, but if not, I will weld a plate to the upper plate stop to compensate.
Finally, now I can move on to something else.
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
So, I got a deal on some Porsche 944 stub axles, axles, and CV's. Got to clean them up, but they look O.K.. Need to get some flanges for the trans. I have a friend who has a Thing trans, that is broken from the Thing being rear ended, so I will get the flanges from him. I went ahead and notched my dual spring plates about 3/16". Only one of the plates gets notched. I slipped a piece of paper between the notched plate and the non notched plate, so you could see the notch.

This resulted on my gaining about 3/4" extra droop, making the car sit more level, and I hope this will be enough to soften the ride, and stop clanking from the spring plate hitting the lower bump stop. I think it will also help the torsion bars from settling, as they wont be wound up as much. This also had the effect of making the stock spec shocks too short. If you look at previous pictures you will see that the Bilstein shock was only about 3/8" longer than the total travel of the trailing arms. Now it is exactly the same length of the full droop of the trailing arms. It does not allow for any safety marging, and potentially makes the shock the lower bump stop.

Because of the reinforcement that I have done to my trailing arms, there is not enough room on the lower shock mount "cup" to just drill a higher hole to compensate for the too short shock. So I experimented with making an extension, by using the eyelets from my old blown out shocks.

Unfortunately, while it had good potential, I couldnt keep the rubber bushing from melting while welding (it literally caught on fire, should have taken a picture), so its a no go. I have another plan, and will post photos when I get that done.
I also managed to make the car look like its been offroad, though it has not left my driveway.

Glad you found the 944 parts
I have my torsion bars tweak 2 or 3 clicks
"Outside" splines, lets say at resting "unwound
I started at 30 degrees. I had no issuse
With my shocks? However I haven't driven
It either, needs a complete alignment.
I'm curious about the notching.
For the enter flange on my car
I bought after market, type 1 to type 2
Conversion, they don't look that bad
Or let's say cheap. However I would
Not trust EMPI stubs?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Yeah, I am thinking that empi type 1 to type 2 trans hubs are probably O.K., so I might buy those, but did not trust them for the stub axle. I'll be doing that job soon.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to work on the bug yesterday. I finished installing the shocks into the modified mounts, and I also switched out the stub axles for the 944 ones. I dont know if the part number is the same as the thing, but they are stamped vw and Audi.

Here you can see how they compare to the stock bug stuff.

Got as far as the stub axles.

Here is a picture of the stock bug axle, and a 944 axle. The bug axle is actually about 3/16" longer, but supposedly the 944 axle is long enough for my set up. I'll find out soon. If you machine the shoulder on the bug axle to be lower than the splines, you can use a bug axle.

I was able to buy thing trans flanges from a friend. Here you can see the circlips that hold them to the trans, and the seals.

I have two used 944 C.V.'s, and 2 used empi bus C.V.'s that I think I can use. I also have 2 brand new old stock Lobro bus C.V's that a friend gave to me a few years ago when he stopped playing with V.W.'s, but unfortunately they have been drilled for bigger bolts, I think 3/8". I kind of remember that the McKenzie's type 1 to thing converted stub axles use the bigger bolts, I think thats what is in my buggy, dont remember for sure now. I hope to be able to install the trans flanges, C.V.'s, and axles next weekend.
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I have never seen a brake drum nut tool like that joemamma, where did you get that?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I think its called a "torque buddy", its available from many of the VW parts distributors. I just looked up "Torque Buddy", and a couple of distributors came up. Moore Parts has it for 92.00. Works great, can be used for both the flywheel gland nut, and the axle nuts. 25 lbs at the tool, translates to 220 at the nut, 30 lbs I think equals 275? I have had mine for several years, I paid like 68.00 when I bought it.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Forgot, works with both 4 lug, and wide five drums.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

So, 2 of the used cv's I was going to use, are not in great shape, I took them apart to clean and inspect, and the balls fall out of the cage on their own, probably not good, I guess worn cages. I am trying to decide wether to just buy 2 new Empi stock bus cv's, or should I go ahead and get 2 of the offroad ones, and get 2 more later on. With my 3/16" notch, I question if I would benefit any from the offroad ones.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

What is the angle of your axles ?

~Maximum Angle~
Type 1 ......................... 12 degrees
Type 2 ......................... 17 degrees
Type 4 ......................... 22 degrees
930 ............................. 25 degrees
Empi Type 2 "offroad" ... 25 degrees ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing the trans side flanges

you can see the circlip that holds it on, and I reused the seal/cap with some silicone to help it seal
took 3 different circlip/ring pliers to get things installed, none worked right. Got the other axle ready to go when I get my 2 other cv's.

measured the angle of my axles, first checked that the car was level, and then saw that I am at 16 to 17 degrees. I think I will stick with stock type 2 CV's.

got one side all done, will finish the other side when I get the other 2 cv's. I also checked that the axle had some play at full droop, I could slide it left and right, so there is still some travel left. I was concerned because the 924/944/thing axles are actually shorter than a stock bug axle, plus notching the spring plates adds to the length of axle needed
I wont have time to work on the bug for a couple of weeks, but the next step is to get the motor running.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

When measuring CV angles, you need to measure the CV flange face angle, then measure the axle shaft angle. The axle angle to chassis angle is not what matters.
SoCalBajas Member
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Makes total sense, and will add to my peace of mind. I guess it would be possible to have slightly different angles at each end. Its been raining and too cold to work outside, but maybe this weekend I will check when I put my new CV's in. I think I will put the new CV's in a can with a little gas to clean before I grease them. I wont take them apart.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

Soaking them in gas or other solvent without dis-assembling them is going most of the way to Disneyland and turning around 1 exit before you get there.

They aren't hard to assemble, once you've seen them apart. As you assemble them, note the relation of the narrow spaces between balls on the inside race go opposite the wide spaces on the outer race.

Once you remove the CVs from the flanges, the odds of the CV coming apart whether you want it to or not are pretty high.

Solvent cleaning will destroy the grease that's in there without replacing it. It's much worse than leaving them alone and just packing them with fresh grease from one side like packing a wheel bearing.

But you REALLY SHOULD take them apart and clean them, then inspect and re-assemble with fresh CV grease. Check for galling of the races and balls, and cracks between balls in the CV cages.
SoCalBajas Member
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: project "Pepe" - multi purpose bug Reply with quote

I was talking about brand new CV's, just removing whatever film is on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: