Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'52 Split on local CL, what's not correct?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5784207672.html

I'm not buying the car, just asking more knowledgeable people what is not correct besides the obvious engine. Should the dash look like that, I thought it had the center piece speedo?

I don't know anything about these models, just looking for information and knowledge.

Thanks!
Joey
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

A quick glance shows me:
Later rear apron, possibly a entire rear clip.
Wrong rear fenders
Wrong tail lights.
Wrong engine
Wrong headlights.
Non ribbed door on driver's side.
It has a '54 - '57 ashtray so I would be suspect of the car actually being a zwitter. It very well could be an oval with a split rear window grafted in.

Way over priced.

I'm sure there is other stuff that I have overlooked.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
A quick glance shows me:
Later rear apron, possibly a entire rear clip.
Wrong rear fenders
Wrong tail lights.
Wrong engine
Wrong headlights.
Non ribbed door on driver's side.
It has a '54 - '57 ashtray so I would be suspect of the car actually being a zwitter. It very well could be an oval with a split rear window grafted in.

Way over priced.

I'm sure there is other stuff that I have overlooked.

Wow great list. Crazy part is that someone without knowledge (like myself) would had probably bought the car without knowing all the issues with it. I, of course, would had posted it here to be dissected but for someone else, that's an expensive Frankenstein of a bug lol.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Could be the angle of the rear window pics but, the edges of the rear window look Oval, split usually looks more pointy-er at the far outer edges?

oval with a split post installed?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Here are the pics from the ad.
Again, not my ad and I'm not buy the car, just passing the info.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Let's add a couple things to the list

-wrong decklid, narrow spring
-drivers door is not ribbed

I agree with earlier comments, photo angles make it difficult to tell, but it does look like an oval window with the divider bar added.
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Better shot of the rear windows?

Can't quite make it out, wondering if someone put the split bar inside the oval... which would give the glass a different shape than a true split...
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Rear window looks good to me, and to my eye, a fake stands right out.

Nobody mentioned the ventwing on the driver's side only!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Rear window looks good to me, and to my eye, a fake stands right out.

Nobody mentioned the ventwing on the driver's side only!

Good point Blue Baron; however, beside having mis-matched/incorrect doors; it does appear that the right one may actually be a ribbed door with corresponding split-era one-piece glass.
So the list grows longer. Idea
Nevertheless, still a bit of a mongrel; and as others have concluded, an over-priced project. Surprised
Good luck to whomever accepts this significant challenge.Wink Arrow
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Search 1952 in samba classifieds, it's been forsale on here for a while with more pics and description...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

I saw the ad when it first showed up here. A lot of things wrong with that car. The guy even posted a shot of the pan number and its hard to read but if it starts out with 1-03... Its not even in the range for it to be a oct-dec '52 zwitter. Some more things to add to the list of whats wrong:
Wrong steering wheel
Wrong ash tray
No push start button
No under dash interior light switch
Bumpers, rear fenders, front apron have over rider holes.
Wrong hood
Wrong hood hinges
Wrong gas tank
And what convinced me its a later oval body, look at the door stops in the A pilars. An early car would have an oval shaped hole where the rod goes through. This car has a later oval type stamping.
What throws me off is that pan number. Looks like its for an earlier than zwitter split car.
Too much wrong with that car.
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

I had heard there was a thread on this car, but had not seen it until today. I am the current vehicle owner. I ended up getting it for a very reasonable price. I too was not convinced it was anything close to what had been described in the listings, although I only saw the last time it had been listed here. I made an offer for what I thought I could sell the pieces off it should it turn out to be a total fake, limiting my risk. Thankfully it seems to have paid off.
The little guy is a survivor, suffering at least as much in the repair processes as it did in what we have determined to be at least 3 fairly major accidents.
The probable oldest accident took out the entire front end. It was replaced with a later oval front clip. The repair was actually fairly well done (at least by comparison to other repairs). The dash, everything forward and including the lower portion of the A pillars was taken from a late oval. The drivers door may have been done at the same time, that part is unknown.
The front was hit a second time at some point. This time the car was clipped about half way through where the gas tank goes. A mid 60’s nose was welded in, and the matching later tank was added.
The rear was hit hard too. Decklid, both fenders, rear apron were replaced, also with oval era parts. This repair was done poorly, nothing fit right and was actually misaligned by about an inch or more.
None of the mechanics are correct, but the pan is correct for the car and dates it as a June or July car (I’m forgetting at the moment). A concern for me was the lack of a rear inspection cover. After much research I realized the cover was eliminated around 100 cars earlier, based on production numbers it could have been the first or second day of production for the no inspection cover bodies. The areas I didn’t discuss all appear to be correct split parts.
I have the car apart now. It is at a shop which has done many early cars. The back end has been refit. The correct taillights, correctly modified early fenders are fitted, and because I plan to run a larger engine, a new but non correct apron has been added. The dash has been retrofitted with the correct split dash, the drivers door has been replaced with a ribbed door from an oval (try finding a split door, it would probably cost as much as I gave for the whole car) which has been modified to be as close as possible to the split. (The drivers door is still the real deal, complete with large logo glass). Front fenders have been modified for the correct grills and the right bumpers are ready to be mounted. Additionally, the entire 60’s era front bits are being replaced with closer but still not totally accurate 57 parts. Front hood is 4 tab and has the reinforcement plate so it will stay. Rear decklid will be modified to wear the correct light once I source one that I can afford. I’ll deal with the wrong spring mount. I look at it like I bought a split Baja, and am bringing it back. There is more 52 left in it then a lot of restorations of others.
When I’m done it will be a driver, lowered a little and with upgraded mechanicals. I’d never be able to afford a split any other way, and I’m pleased knowing that while the car still will not be perfect (and I’m learning less early cars are then the owners would like you to believe) it will be much closer to correct then it has been in decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

lets see some new pics. hats off to get it looking better.
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

I lowered it and planned to drive it like it was first, but after once around the block I couldn’t allow it to remain as is. I’ll post up some in progress pictures soon, I need to upload them first.
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

i wish I could take credit for the metal work, but it is being handled by another. I asked him to keep the car a little rough around the edges. I feel Krampus has gone through so much, and I don’t want to take it all away, just replace the “upgrades” with period correct items. The car was Agave to begin with. It’s one of my favorite colors so I may go back to that someday.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

c_wilburn wrote:
The car was Agave to begin with. It’s one of my favorite colors so I may go back to that someday.

perhaps you mean Pastel Green? agave was not available on splits.

please share photos of all the metal being corrected.

Do you think original tail light brackets will fit onto those fender 'dimples'?
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Sled,
Thank you for correcting me on color. “All metal” will not be corrected. For example, the apron will still be wrong, the aftermarket exhaust still has dual outlets and therefore I could not justify the cost of a correct one only to modify it anyway. Also rear bumper brackets will be wrong. I’m sure the split police will still be able to identify more discrepancies, so I will not be posting to many pictures. There are some Samba members who really seem to get off in telling others about such things.
As for the dimples, they fit quite well with the multi Filament bulb holders that I am running. They look slightly higher in this picture then they actually are due to the type of picture it is, and there is a certain amount of adjustment still available once we get everything else lined out. I’m sure some split nazi will be glad to tell me exactly how many mm off they are though.

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

I really appreciate the way you're working on the car and how you correct things.
In my humble opinion, I'd always prefer this car over a totally restored car with only 50% of its original metal in place.
Beside this, it's always cool to see a split hitting the road again, better than letting them rest in the garage after a 5 year restoration Wink

I'm also in the same postion on a 54 bug... don't want to remove all the history and can't pay for a total restoration.

Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

c_wilburn wrote:
I’m sure the split police will still be able to identify more discrepancies, so I will not be posting to many pictures.

Don't worry about the split police, you won't get a ticket Wink just keep the juicy pictures coming!

I like where you are taking the car, keep up the good work Cool
Indeed a good plan to make it a driver and drive it until the wheels fall off, and you could always make improvements to get it more correct along the way.

(although I must admit that the lowered version of it looked cool as well Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Keep up the good work. This poor abused car is getting the love it needs. I think of it as a blank canvas for you to do as you see fit. More pictures please.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: