Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 30 Pict 2 - Rebuild (Preferred) or Replace
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Solex 30 Pict 2 - Rebuild (Preferred) or Replace Reply with quote

The Solex 30 Pict 2 on my 1968 Beetle is worn out (throttle shaft wear) I have several NOS Solex 30 Pict 2 units which I can replace it with.

Before I go down that route of putting a NOS unit in I would like to know whether the lead in leaded petrol assisted in lubrication of the throttle shaft running in the parent metal of the carburettor body. With the advent of unleaded fuels did the lack of lead in the fuel contribute to accelerated wear of the shaft contact area because of reduced lubrication.

And would getting the original carb rebushed with bushing material with better lubricity than the original for unleaded fuel use be a better option.

The existing original carb had done over 1/2 million miles before I parked the car up 16 years ago and I would like to keep the original part installed for sentimetal reasons.
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 30 Pict 2 - Rebuild (Preferred) or Replace Reply with quote

meiang,
You can buy bronze bushes off a UK bloke on ebay. Maybe somewhere in AUS too. Why run unleaded? We can still get leaded (Low Lead though) here. Also - have a look at www.vw-resource.com (Rob & Dave) and www.aussieveedubbers.com for some local advice.

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 30 Pict 2 - Rebuild (Preferred) or Replace Reply with quote

With half a million miles I would imagine more than just the throttle shaft would be worn, I'd go with NOS if I had one available.
Never though about the lubricity factor of leaded gasoline on the throttle shaft but I guess it was helpful. Just put a drop of oil on the shaft every so often and you should be fine for another 1/2 million : )

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 30 Pict 2 - Rebuild (Preferred) or Replace Reply with quote

Actually apart from the throttle shaft wear everything else is in great shape. Not much wear anywhere else.

1/2 Million million miles plus.

One full engine rebuild.
One top end rebuild.
Plus some minor stuff obviously.

Nothing more.

This car did many trips across Australia and a lot of dirt road work.

I do recall replacing the horn in about 1988. Nothing else to report.

I worked in an Audi dealership around 1990 (got bored with my regular job being an engineer for a while) and the dealership owners son who was the service manager said to me one day (I had my beetle in for some work - can't remember what for - nothing major - it was a Beetle) " its amazing how well built these old VW's are).

This was the service manager for a family business that previously has been Rolls Royce dealers for 30 years and sold out to be an Audi dealer.

What more can you say. High Praise.

The car is still intact waiting for my 9 year old son to take it over.

I have bought all the replacement parts that my son will need for 30-40 years of use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: