Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to use for paint on a VW chassis.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheType1Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Im working on a 63 Beetle and am cleaning up the pan and getting it ready for paint. Im wondering what other people are using? Im thinking about trying Rustoleum brand professional undercoating or truck bed liner on the bottom side. Has anybody used that on their bug? Is it real thick?

Otherwise Im thinking about just using Rustoleum Professional high performance enamel spray paint. I have had good luck with that in the past.

I have heard that some people use POR 15 on the underside of the chassis. Do you guys think its worth the extra money?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

POR 15

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Master Series.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Quote:
Master Series.

X2.
The rattle can rustoleum truck bed liner and undercoating is underwhelming and disappointing. This stuff was way better and it requires no mixing. After about 6000 miles still looks new.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08874-Rocker-Schutz-Coating/dp/B000PEPJKW
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Chassis Saver (Magnet paints) Master Series or POR 15. All similar, all good.
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

I have been wondering about this myself as i am getting closer to the paint part of my resto.
Guys at the paint shop recommend this POR15 Chassis black.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Top-Coat_p_102.html

but I'm wondering it a 2k epoxy and 2k black would be better?

thanks
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

I've used Por15 with expected results, however I don't think I will use it again because of their marketing cost... think I will try master series or the likes, any of the above will beat rustoleum... you don't want to put all that work into something then hit it with a product like that....

ymmv

EDIT: looked up chassis saver and it appears to be a good buy... anyone else use it with some mileage/years on it?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

The Truck Bed liner seems to be extremely effective initially. A stone is never going to chip it but it's not light either. I'm planning on using it on the most rust prone areas like the outside area of the floor pan,inside where your feet sit and so on,not the whole underneath.

There are plenty of threads stating that the user was disappointed with the results of POR. I can express that ZeroRust is a very good paint that dries hard with no anti-rust properties that I witnessed. If you want a physically durable paint ,ZeroRust fits the need.

I'm doing some work on a Jeep right now and I'm spraying clean metal with-

1st Zinc Compound

2nd Metal Etching Primer ( after wiping zinc coating with a dry rag)

3rd Primer/Sealer

and lastly base paint. All from a can.

I'm using BondoGold on top of all of this and I have had NO adhesion issues at all.

Years ago I did a test of using zinc compound and without ,and the parts I used zinc on took twice as long to show rust again. I tested a piece with just zinc on it verse pieces with just cheap paint and cheap paint with primer/sealer. The plain zinc pieces did the best.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

I used POR 15 and then top coated it with Top Coat for UV protection.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Bearing in mind that the original rigid undercoating on my VW car (s) has survived for over 40 years....and only started cracking at flex spots about a decade ago (and kts these cracks that need to be ground out so that rust can not form in them).......and its hard as hell to remove......

I decided to go back with the original coating. I stripped to bare metal with abrasives, air grinder and air chisels etc.

Then any welding or patching is done.

Let light surface flash rust form after wiping down with acetone. Then treated with phosphoric acid converter (perfect primer). Then spray on a layer of zinc dichromate primer.

Then spray coat with Wurth stone guard.....which is the original spec, high build hard, rock proof undercoating used on most Porsche, VW and Merecedes of the day. Then top coat with body color paint.

It will last until after I am dead.

They make it in about 4-5 stock colors. You can buy it buy the large can and apply with low preszure shutz guns.....or in rattle cans. You can also buy the same product in the same form at,NAPA paint stores.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Ray, did you find any rust under the original coating in areas you wouldn't expect to be there because the liner showed no evidence of a problem area??

I have the dealer option coating as well, it's been thereally for 46 yrs and appears to have held up fine.. I heated and removed some from the pan nearest heat channel for inspection, underneath the coating looked beautiful.. I did find a couple questionable areas in fender wells (slight bubble) removed and found some rust... I intend to take it all off to see what's really hiding beneath the coating but I'm on the fence about replacing it rather that painting it... seems to me if a surface coat does fail you'll likely see it easier and catch it sooner with paint rather than a liner coating..
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
Ray, did you find any rust under the original coating in areas you wouldn't expect to be there because the liner showed no evidence of a problem area??

I have the dealer option coating as well, it's been thereally for 46 yrs and appears to have held up fine.. I heated and removed some from the pan nearest heat channel for inspection, underneath the coating looked beautiful.. I did find a couple questionable areas in fender wells (slight bubble) removed and found some rust... I intend to take it all off to see what's really hiding beneath the coating but I'm on the fence about replacing it rather that painting it... seems to me if a surface coat does fail you'll likely see it easier and catch it sooner with paint rather than a liner coating..

I found nothing unexpected. Wherever the coating had no cracks....it was prostine metal underneath.....and the bubbles are really caused by cracks from flexing and of course the coating hardens up a little more with age....so its only where you find surface cracking...that bubble form from underneath.

The original undercoat is a rock guard. Its rigid...but flexes enough to absorb impacts from stones. Bulletproof.

I hated to remove it at all. 90% was perfect.....but had to remove the 10%....and if you just remove spots....you have low spots....so it was best to remove all of it. Ray
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Are we talking additional salt exposure and or sealing in treated rust? A factory finish with undercoating can last decades in a salt environment. Without a ionic bound protectant ,I doubt it.

If you are undercoating anything it will both extend the life of the metal and also conceal the rust progress.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Are we talking additional salt exposure and or sealing in treated rust? A factory finish with undercoating can last decades in a salt environment. Without a ionic bound protectant ,I doubt it.

If you are undercoating anything it will both extend the life of the metal and also conceal the rust progress.

Who undercoats over rust?

The factory undercoat will have 0 rust unless you have rust throughs from the other side of the panel (inside the car) or cracks from the outside that let moisture penetrate to the metal......which is why I noted.....that when I see cracks....I strip it to metal.

Phosphoric acid treatment before primer is an ionic bond....but even that is not necessary. Get it dry and clean, seal it with a primer like factory did.....or seal it with a high zinc primer over conversion coat like I did.....and then undercoat it with stone guard. Then paint of your choice. Good for about 50 years and totally sealed.

Salt exposure does nothing to this coating. I have close to 350,000 miles on this chassis in areas with winter salt. No issues.
As noted the only penetration to this undercoating....is where it cracks from chassis flex after 40 years of driving.

This is no relation to flexible rubber based undercoatings. Those are a temporary measure comparatively. Ray
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

My point was if treated rust was sealed in and still capable of rusting.

I'll do some more Rust Testing someday soon. One of the issues if you do bodywork is that it Never holds up to salt like a production Hot Zinc or modern ElectroPaint job. This leaves you with the impression that Paint is really a membrane that allows moisture in and out. I'm wondering if the barrier of good undercoating is good enough that you don't even need something with an ionic bond. I live in the salt capital of the world so I'll have to start another test which includes undercoating. Laughing

My first test a few years back was I had small strips of metal hanging in a IceMelt solution. Bare spray on zinc compound lasted mybe 6 months before showing any rust and rusted slower after it did. Spray can primer/sealer with Rustoleum paint on top lasted 3 months before showing rust and just a layer of Rustoleum lasted the same amount.

I'll do a test with Rust Converter and Undercoating included next. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

I have used POR15, rustoleum, and farm implement paint. If you are not driving the car in salt or lots of rain, the Rustoleum would be fine. POR15 and similar products need better prep and cost more, but do hold up better,
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:

I'll do some more Rust Testing someday soon. One of the issues if you do bodywork is that it Never holds up to salt like a production Hot Zinc or modern ElectroPaint job. This leaves you with the impression that Paint is really a membrane that allows moisture in and out. I'm wondering if the barrier of good undercoating is good enough that you don't even need something with an ionic bond. I live in the salt capital of the world so I'll have to start another test which includes undercoating. Laughing

My first test a few years back was I had small strips of metal hanging in a IceMelt solution. Bare spray on zinc compound lasted mybe 6 months before showing any rust and rusted slower after it did. Spray can primer/sealer with Rustoleum paint on top lasted 3 months before showing rust and just a layer of Rustoleum lasted the same amount.

No.....its not....that was my point. I have done virtually any and every test you can with rust converters. A huge range of paints, undercoatings etc.

If its properly converted...there is nothing left to rust .

I cant tell you how many times I have to REPOST this info.
This is mistake that 99% of all that use rust converters.

If you convert rust with phosphoric or tannic acid.... and it forms the requisite blue/black coating.....and you scratch that coating and reddish rust shows through. ....YOU DID IT WRONG.

The rust must be thin enough to convert 100%.....ALL THE WAY TO METAL. It takes practice....and work. ANY rust y9u convert...MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST......GET THIS......MUST.....be .003" or thinner to convert completely......or it will rust again.....because it will not convert thicker rust than that.

These products are not for the lazy. They take work to use correctly.

Also....converted surfaces are porous...because the rust you converted is porous. It leaves holes to bare metal. This is why it must,be painted.

Rust converters are used in two ways:

1. In high strength mode....to REMOVE/STRIP rust to bare metal. Jasco metal prep and primer does this when used full strength. And.....when its done....there is "0" anti-rut protection and "0" converted rust....because there is no rust to convert to feeric phosphate because it dissolved all of the rust to bare metal. This is a mistake too many people make. They use full strength....love the fact that it dissolves all rust.....and then walk away thinking that blue haze left on the metal is some kind of protection. ...which it isn't.

2. Diluted. ...carefully as a rust converter. This is the most misused product....because 99.99% of users are too lazy to sand or brush the rust down to a thin enough film that the ruat converter can penetrate.

The problem is two-fold ........first. ....as the rust converter is acting on the rust.....the reaction is neutralizing ph...making the rust converter too weak.
Second.....as the ferric oxide film forms....it begins to SEAL...the surface against liquid penetration....simultaneously as the converter is getting weaker.

So from practice you should be adding in fresh converter about every 3 minutes or so while working it.

The best practice is to either mechanically or chemically remove ALL rust.....and then promote flash rust......which does not build deeper than about 10-12 microns......and convert it.
Seal that with paint....and it will never rust again. Ray
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Thought about powder coating? Have you stripped the car down to bare chassis/pan? Not sure what range of prices you'd find in your area, but I'll be getting mine media blasted and powder coated for under $300.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
theKbStockpiler wrote:

No.....its not....that was my point. I have done virtually any and every test you can with rust converters. A huge range of paints, undercoatings etc.

If its properly converted...there is nothing left to rust .

I cant tell you how many times I have to REPOST this info.
This is mistake that 99% of all that use rust converters.

If you convert rust with phosphoric or tannic acid.... and it forms the requisite blue/black coating.....and you scratch that coating and reddish rust shows through. ....YOU DID IT WRONG.

The rust must be thin enough to convert 100%.....ALL THE WAY TO METAL. It takes practice....and work. ANY rust y9u convert...MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST......GET THIS......MUST.....be .003" or thinner to convert completely......or it will rust again.....because it will not convert thicker rust than that.

These products are not for the lazy. They take work to use correctly.

Also....converted surfaces are porous...because the rust you converted is porous. It leaves holes to bare metal. This is why it must,be painted.

Rust converters are used in two ways:

1. In high strength mode....to REMOVE/STRIP rust to bare metal. Jasco metal prep and primer does this when used full strength. And.....when its done....there is "0" anti-rut protection and "0" converted rust....because there is no rust to convert to feeric phosphate because it dissolved all of the rust to bare metal. This is a mistake too many people make. They use full strength....love the fact that it dissolves all rust.....and then walk away thinking that blue haze left on the metal is some kind of protection. ...which it isn't.

2. Diluted. ...carefully as a rust converter. This is the most misused product....because 99.99% of users are too lazy to sand or brush the rust down to a thin enough film that the ruat converter can penetrate.

The problem is two-fold ........first. ....as the rust converter is acting on the rust.....the reaction is neutralizing ph...making the rust converter too weak.
Second.....as the ferric oxide film forms....it begins to SEAL...the surface against liquid penetration....simultaneously as the converter is getting weaker.

So from practice you should be adding in fresh converter about every 3 minutes or so while working it.

The best practice is to either mechanically or chemically remove ALL rust.....and then promote flash rust......which does not build deeper than about 10-12 microns......and convert it.
Seal that with paint....and it will never rust again. Ray

Thanks for this post Ray. I've learned a lot from posts you've made elsewhere as well. Smile

This is an undercoating thread, but I assume this theory applies to all metal, right? The difference would be the top coats?

Would promoting a flash rust and then converting it be the ideal first layer for all the body metal as well?

My 1968 Campmobile
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to use for paint on a VW chassis. Reply with quote

Por 15 wait till it drys tacky, then spray over top of it with rustolem.
Mine looks exactly the same 3 years later.
Use the rustolem engine paint back around the engine bay. Good up to 500 degrees.
If you wait until the por 15 drys they sell a special primer for it but its expensive.
Or you have to sand it before painting, which is pretty much impossible in spots.
Use different colors por 15 and rustolem.

Far less work, to spray when por 15 is tacky.

Unless the surface is shiny metal, then use something else.

Also make sure you clean the surface good before painting.
Rag, dish soap, bucket of soap water, and elbow greese works if nothing else.
Then air dry over night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: