Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

painting engine bits
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: painting engine bits Reply with quote

Hi, I'm wanting to paint my aircooler, more importantly, the twin carbs, manifolds, alternator etc... will i have to use any special kind of paint so it will last?
I guess I'll have to well clean them, then give them a once over with etch primer, then something that will take the heat?

I'd quite like to get this sort of effect:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

can anyone advise the best way?
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

yeah that looks nice, I like the subtle approach with the the satin finish..

you want a high temp engine enamel, clean, decrease, repeat... I like using dawn for a third wash rinse with scotchbrite..
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

Have your engine tins powder coated. They will look more professional and last much longer than just paint.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easilydistracted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

I was more worried about the alternator, manifold and carbs... would they powdercoat too?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

easilydistracted wrote:
I was more worried about the alternator, manifold and carbs... would they powdercoat too?

They would just have to be heated to melt the powder coat. No more than what they usually see while running. Aluminum and probably magnesium, need a special primer for the powdercoat to adhere to properly. The only issue might be preparing the surface's of the carb and alternator for the powdercoat. That's usually done in a glass peening machine, like sand blasting but finer. You'd have to ensure no media gets into those, or take them apart and just powdercoat the bodies of them.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

Powder paint is the way to go. Carbs and alternator will need to have the internals stripped.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: painting engine bits Reply with quote

I'm having my manifolds ceramic coated. There is a satin black in for it as well:

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: