Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve gap problem
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Okay, I looked this issue up and I may have a major problem on my hands.

I attempted to check and adjust the valve gaps today and discovered my No. 1 exhaust valve was so tight I couldn't even get a .004 in the gap, even with the screw removed. All other valves are GTG. I turned the engine over thru all cylinders several times and still no luck.

Per the forum it sounds like the valve may have stretched, broke, or seated in the head, although I'm Not sure if this is the problem or not.

Not sure how or when this happened. Didn't hear anything bad and didn't notice a difference in the engine's performance. It is my daily driver and I last drove it this morning moving cars in the driveway.

Advice?

If I have to pull the engine this will be my first time. Could I just pull the head off (once engine is removed) and go from there? What would be my next step? Is this a total rebuild? How difficult? Possible parts list?

Since this is my daily driver I may look for a replacement engine to hold me off until my current engine is fixed. Running a 1600 SP now and like the idea of stock engines. Anyone in southern VA with a good used 1600 SP they would be willing to sell?

Look forward to your advice and comments.

-Rich, just a little disappointed but will learn from this experience.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Rich, sounds like you will be needing to pick up a repair manual. The most often recommended are the John Muir Idiot book and the Bentley workshop manual. In order to remove a cylinder head you need to do at least a top end take down. that is the only way to get at all the hardware holding the head to the cylinders.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
..No. 1 exhaust valve was so tight I couldn't even get a .004 in the gap, even with the screw removed. All other valves are GTG. I turned the engine over thru all cylinders several times and still no luck.

When you rotate is the rocker moving and does it end up even (height wise) with the intake one?
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

BarryL,

That's a very good question. I'll check in a few.

Tabs,

Already have both. I was hoping it was something I was missing. I wonder if it could be the cotter that retains the valve stem in the valve spring/spring cap. It it the spring cap that is all the way up against the rocker arm and preventing the gap guide from fitting, not the valve end.

-Rich
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Are you sure you are at TDC for #1 and not #3?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Crafty,

Yes, TDC on #1. Only the exhaust valve is giving problems. All other valves are good to go at .006.

BarryL,

Yes, the rocker arm moves as the shaft is turned. It looks like it is a little higher, but hard to tell in the tight quarters. If I tighten the screw inward I can see the valve and spring move inward. It is only after I remove the screw that I can just get a .006 in, but it has to be forced.

Strange thing is I just checked the valves about 1000 miles ago. Only needed a few fine adjustments. I Never replaced the cover gasket last time. I just noticed some leaking so I was replacing the gaskets and though why not check while I'm down here and now this.

I put the bus in the garage (a storm is coming) I guess I get to pull the engine. There is a first time for everything and what does not kill you only makes you stronger.

- Rich
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Is there someone else in your area who could look at what you've got? Even a veteran can sometimes mess things up and get flustered.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
I wonder if it could be the cotter that retains the valve stem in the valve spring/spring cap. It it the spring cap that is all the way up against the rocker arm and preventing the gap guide from fitting, not the valve end.

Yes it sounds like a keeper came off the valve. There should be two halves. You can make a hobo pry arm to depress the cap for relocating the keepers but you must poke a clean unfrazzled cotton rope into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and rotate the piston up to keep the valve from going inward to get the keeper back on.

Of course this only applies IF that is what is wrong. Your valve stem grooves may be damaged and not able to hold keepers.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

BarryL,

What does the cotton rope do? keep the piston from going all the way up?

I think I am going to bite the bullet and pull the engine to take a better look. This will be my first time. Since I have had this bus for approximately five years now its about time and I'll learn something new in the process and I have a few leaking rod tubes to take care of as well.

I have a lead on a good used engine here in VA. Need something to run the bus until I figure out the issues with my current engine. It may also be good to have an extra engine in the garage for occasions like this. It is a used 1600 SP long block. Waiting for photos. Anything to look for when buying a used engine? I'm sure the list is long, but any tips would be welcomed. Cracked case (where to look for?) comes to mind. Good even compression in all cylinders? Etc.

Anyway, I'll post an update once I pull the engine. In the mean time keep the advice coming, it helps.

-Rich
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
BarryL,

-Rich

Rich,

while i am not familiar with the rope trick, i think it is there to keep the valve in place while you work on it

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
robin.richard wrote:
BarryL,

-Rich

Rich,

while i am not familiar with the rope trick, i think it is there to keep the valve in place while you work on it

Yes. You turn the piston against the rope to keep the valve in place so you can push down on the valve spring cap and relocate the keepers. If no rope the valve will just fall/drift inward.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Anything to look for when buying a used engine? I'm sure the list is long...

If you find something post up and people can help before you buy it.

robin.richard wrote:
Anything to look for when buying a used engine?...Cracked case (where to look for?)

Same reply here; post up what you find. Hopefully the crack area will be visible and the engine stripped down enough to see them as they are all kinda hidden by tin or the flywheel except the oil sender area.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
BarryL,

I think I am going to bite the bullet and pull the engine to take a better look. This will be my first time. Since I have had this bus for approximately five years now its about time and I'll learn something new in the process and I have a few leaking rod tubes to take care of as well.

I have a lead on a good used engine here in VA. Need something to run the bus until I figure out the issues with my current engine. It may also be good to have an extra engine in the garage for occasions like this. It is a used 1600 SP long block. Waiting for photos. Anything to look for when buying a used engine? I'm sure the list is long, but any tips would be welcomed. Cracked case (where to look for?) comes to mind. Good even compression in all cylinders? Etc.

Anyway, I'll post an update once I pull the engine. In the mean time keep the advice coming, it helps.

-Rich
there is a guy in wytheville Virgina that I see at shows......he sells new/rebuilt long blocks, the bug shop 276-228-3655 he stamps the case with number of builds.....I have one numbered in the 3000's I bought it second hand in a bus, runs good.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo,

Thanks for the lead here in VA. If the current deal falls through I'll give him a call. Need to get my bus back on the road!

Too much rain to do anything else today so I pulled the engine. It was my first time and it was a snap, very easy. Hell, it was harder removing the bumper than the engine.

Before I pulled the engine I noticed my manifold was cracked badly, see pic. The wide crack is about 8 inches long. What could have caused this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also noticed oil in the bell housing. I guess it's a main seal issue. Funny thing is I had it replaced a year ago, or so they said they replaced it and charged me for the seal and labor. One more questionable repair a local shop has preformed.

So, I will take all the tin off and examine the engine and heads closer and see if I can determine what is going on with #1's exhaust valve.

I'll post more photos once I remove the tin.

-Rich
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Okay, I started to disassemble my engine, what a mess. You can see where I had a oil cooler leak. The previously unnamed shop replaced the seals for me but the cylinders remained a mess. Number 3 and 2 are a real mess. They are covered in old dirt/oil now in a tar like state. No wonder she was running a little hot this summer.

When I removed the manifold it too was a mess. All caked around the head and the heat risers were clogged.

And here is the cracked manifold.

I'm going to stop here for now. How can I clean the block, cylinders and heads at this point without water damage.

-Rich
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Except for that cracked intake manifold it looks pretty typical. plug all the holes with rags and use engine degreaser wiping off with a damp rag. Avoid using pressurized water or air.

robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

Thanks tasb.

But as they say, a clean engine is a happy, cool engine. I'll get out the degreaser and rags and get to work. It's got to be better, cooler if the cylinders are clean.

I did notice the build up of grime around the head intake was bad and might be an indication of a vacuum leak, correct? There were no gaskets used between the head and manifold. Shouldn't there be the aluminum type?

Also, as I disassembled the engine to clean and inspect I am going to replace some seals and reinstall a thermostat. Looking at my cooling flaps (previously wired open by PO) it looks like I am missing some parts. I know I should have the spring that keeps them closed, but it also looks like the actuation arm is different from what I have seen on other examples. Take a look. What am I missing?

Thanks for all your help!

-Rich
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

That actually doesn't look that bad but definitely needs cleaning and reseal. You heads show sign of being loose. The crack is in the heatsink part not the actual vacuum pipe, I believe. Did you have a large carb on it or did someone use the carb as a handle?
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

BarryL,

With regards to the heads, can I just tighten them as long as it's in specs? Also, I would like to remove the #1 and #2 head to check the troubled exhaust valve, is this possible without f'n something up?

I also found no seals between the manifold and headers. Should there be?

I was using a 30PIC 1 carb so I don't think that was it. The only other time the engine was out was a year ago when a local shop replaced my generator and replaced the main seal and oil cooler seals. Didn't notice the crack until I was taking all the electrical leads off. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was during those repairs.

-Rich
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve gap problem Reply with quote

There should be seals at manifold and head and at exhaust and head. Once the intake is removed the cylinder head can be removed. There's mnot much that can be messed up at that point. Use a rubber mallet if you need to do some tapping to get things loose.

Last edited by tasb on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: