Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

1977 convertible beetle.
The door gaps are fine at bottom, but get progressively wider as you get higher up.
The top closes, but doesn't cover the windscreen lip as it should.

The pans were replaced at one point or another.

My question is this:

Could removing the rails allow the body to return to its original shape?
I would obviously put them back on.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

seen this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664908
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Convertible progressive door gap. . Top issue seems short? Reply with quote

So, I'm finally getting back to my convertible.

My doors fit have a gap that gets wider the higher it goes. To the gap at the top is just shy of an inch.

The front lip of the top also does not go over the front of the windshield frame, it sits just behind it.

The previous owner restored the body and I think he didn't support it correctly when he replaced the pans and extra support rails that a convertible has.

I'm wondering if removing the rails weighting down the center of the car and replacing them will help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

You can adjust the gaps by shimming the rear body mounts (under the rear fenders) and/or the front body mounts (on top of the front suspension).

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
You can adjust the gaps by shimming the rear body mounts (under the rear fenders) and/or the front body mounts (on top of the front suspension).

Thank you.

How hard is that?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

OK, I need to correct myself. You have a Super Beetle (I keep forgetting those exist) so the front is different from what I am familiar with, but the rear is the same.

The body mounts in the rear are under the fenders. Shim the mount to raise the rear and close the gap at the top. Oh, there are also some bolts under the rear seat that may need to be loosened.

Check your service manual to see if the procedure is shown there.
This link may help. Somewhere in there is a section about adjusting door gaps.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklisten_9/looklisten9_body_leaks_vwsedan.pdf

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
OK, I need to correct myself. You have a Super Beetle (I keep forgetting those exist) so the front is different from what I am familiar with, but the rear is the same.

The body mounts in the rear are under the fenders. Shim the mount to raise the rear and close the gap at the top. Oh, there are also some bolts under the rear seat that may need to be loosened.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklisten_9/looklisten9_body_leaks_vwsedan.pdf

Do you think I need to remove or loosen the rails that run under the car under the heater channels?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Do you think I need to remove or loosen the rails that run under the car under the heater channels?

Not yet. Do the adjustments first.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

You cannot loosen the support rails, they are welded to the bottom of the heater channels, they are not part of the floorpan
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Streetsweeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

I had horrible gaps on my ghia and I welded tabs on either side of the door jamb on the inside and pulled them together with a threaded rod... once I got the desired gap I welded 14 guage reinforcement plates around the bottom from the front corner to the rear... of course to do this, you will have to unbolt any body mounts... and yes you will have to shim it once it is locked in...

This is the best thing I could have done for this car HANDS DOWN

It holds its shape and the door will never ever sag again... since I have done this, I have fixed other volkswagens by doing this and I am a believer... this is a permanent fix period.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of your permanent fix? I have replaced a lot of sheet metal on mine. If there is something I can do to make this car last another 40 years I will try it.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

Deja vu all over again. Fixed this a few years ago. FYI the big blue Bently talks about shimming rear mounts to correct this problem. Did not look to see if the car I was working on was referenced in the post link. I'll tell you that its scary when you shim and jack the body, but it works. The top was way short and the door gaps were a mess.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Ok. I get it. I have a few questions and concerns.
So, I loosen these 4 bolts and jack the body and shim the rear mounts?

Where to I jack the body from?
How high should I jack it off? Just high enough to add shims?

How much should I expect to shim the body? 1/8", 1/4" 1/2"? Will I need to buy larger bolts?

I'm concerned that I will jack the body and the holes won't line up when I go to put it back? Can I use washer that I cut 1/4 off of and just slip on?

Should I expect the gap to immediately close? Or will it slowly bend over a few days?
I ask this because If it is a slow process I might over shim without realizing it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

I unbolted the ones across the rear floor pan and the ones by the shocks. I am pretty sure I used a long block to allow me to lift the body below where the bumper brackets attach with added blocks to clear the muffler. I made square shims with a hole drilled through for the rear shock mount areas. You may end up almost lifting the rear of the car and you will just take it a bit at a time and see what you have - install the shims and repeat.

If you are worried about the bolts not lining back up , take a couple long bolts and cut the heads of or use threaded rod to keep things lined up.

I had seen an article where Buddy Hale eliminated the rubber shock mounts and just used solid shims. Very curious if your top seems short at the windshield currently. This one was. and the pins were not even close to lining up.

And yeah, gonna be scary. Happy Halloween.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible with excessive and progressive door gap. Top issue. Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I unbolted the ones across the rear floor pan and the ones by the shocks. I am pretty sure I used a long block to allow me to lift the body below where the bumper brackets attach with added blocks to clear the muffler. I made square shims with a hole drilled through for the rear shock mount areas. You may end up almost lifting the rear of the car and you will just take it a bit at a time and see what you have - install the shims and repeat.

If you are worried about the bolts not lining back up , take a couple long bolts and cut the heads of or use threaded rod to keep things lined up.

I had seen an article where Buddy Hale eliminated the rubber shock mounts and just used solid shims. Very curious if your top seems short at the windshield currently. This one was. and the pins were not even close to lining up.

And yeah, gonna be scary. Happy Halloween.....

Thanks for the tip on the long bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: