Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 1989 Cabriolet
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

PLease help

1.My sons vw has trouble starting...when cold..... once started in runs great...

can some offer some advice... stock engine...1989 Cabriolet

2. vibration near the transmission, dives and shifts fine, seems like a transmission mount is bad, does anyone know if its hard to change? Where can i get a new mount?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

When was the last time it was tuned up? What quality parts were used ? It may have vacuum leaks, check there. Could be a bad coolant temp sensor, disconnect it & see if f it starts easier.

Which transmission mount? The one under the battery (requires supporting the transmission & removing 3 17mm bolts & pressing in new mount), the one under the radiator (requires removing the two starter bolts (typically 8mm Allen or 17mm wrench & two 17mm bolts holds my mount cup to rad support), or the one behind & under the transmission (two 13mm nuts, two 17mm nuts & one 19mm nut)?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

the one that is closer to the shifter I think is bad...

Where can I order them from...???

Thanks for the tips on the cold start... I will try tomorrow....
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

where is the coolant Temp sensor located, what does it look like...

bad coolant temp sensor???
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Try
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/products/search-results.aspx?c=4

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

The coolant temp sensor is one of the two in the coolant flange on the front of the cylinder head between cylinders #3 &#4, should be the blue one if I remember right. The other one is for the A/C.

Try cleaning the ground points at the cylinder head, on one of the studs on the other cooling flange on the end of the head.

Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

thank you so much... i will try it tomorrow...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The coolant temp sensor is one of the two in the coolant flange on the front of the cylinder head between cylinders #3 &#4, should be the blue one if I remember right. The other one is for the A/C.

No.

This is an '89 Cabriolet, ergo CIS-lambda. Coolant temp sensors in CIS are component-specific and are not generally referred to as simply "coolant temp sensors": http://www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm#Sensors .

(If you're thinking of Digifant, a 1990-1993 Cabriolet has two coolant temp sensors in the flange: one for the fuel system, one for the gauge.)

As for the OP's problem:
1) If one engine/trans mount is bad, they're most likely all shot. Thus, you should plan on replacing all 4. And if you replace all 4, you should replace the timing belt at the same time unless you know it was recently replaced. Parts sources: http://www.cabby-info.com/parts.htm .

2) http://www.cabby-info.com/fuel.htm#CIS

3) I highly recommend that you invest in a repair manual for this car. Either the Bentley Service Manual, the Bosch Fuel Injection manual, or both: http://www.cabby-info.com/manuals.htm .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Ordering the repair manual..... Thanks....

So my Original Post... 1989 Cabriolet takes about 6/7 turns of the key, spits and sputters, once it starts and gets warm, its fine.....

I noticed there is a cold start enrichment relay on the fuse box...

Could this be the problem....???

Thanks for the link to Cabby info...... I am new to the VW world... I saved this Cabby.. it was totaled from the insurance co.... I want to learn as much as possible.....

after I get this idle problem solved I want to eliminate the AC unit and everything that goes along with the AC .. to clean up the engine Bay...

thank you for all the help...
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Cabby Info- what an awesome site.... How do I purchase the parts on this site.... I have a long list of things I need to replace... the part numbers are included on the site but I don't know where I can order these parts...

Need the manual, and a lot of other parts....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Oh yeah Embarassed , it's been a while since one's come through. That being the case, coupled with trans mount issues, before you start buying stuff, check for a split in the intake boot on the fuel distributor at the bottom where it clamps to the plastic tube & the boot between the plastic tube & the throttle body (they'll usually split at the bottom too.).

Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back... I will try everything tonight....
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

The fuel system you have is CIS, it's a simple system and reliable. The problem is that the parts are getting older and many people that attempt to work on it do not have a clue how it works.

I suggest you understand how it works. I also suggest you get a fuel pressure gauge and the fittings so you can see what's going on. The fuel system does not like vacuum leaks. A smoke tester is a valuable tool that is expensive for your do it yourselfer.

The cold start valve only sprays fuel for a few seconds then shuts off. Kinda like pressing on the throttle a couple times with a carbureted engine. The warm up regulator is used like a choke.

Either way, make certain there are no vacuum leaks, adjust the fuel mixture and idle correctly, and know how CIS works.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Dean Korber wrote:
Cabby Info- what an awesome site.... How do I purchase the parts on this site....

You can't, except for a boot storage bag. Cabby Info is strictly an information site. Wink

The page linked earlier, http://www.cabby-info.com/parts.htm , has a full page of parts suppliers you can shop from.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean Korber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 1989 Cabriolet Reply with quote

WOW !!! Thanks....the cold valve switch was the Little Devil... The wires rotted off.. I stuck the wire up in, and she fired right up....

Thank you so much.....

Now I need to find a new switch... the blue plastic looks like it was glued and taped so the wire would stay in...

Does the blue clip plug come with two wires in them? where can I find IT...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: