Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat alternative?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Someone ever tried any safer alternative way to heat you bus on "driving mode" beside the stock?
I hope no look my post!
The fall is here on the northeast and the temperatures starting to change!
I tried to used the stock system but smell so bad like burn oil and as if they were welding metal next to me.

Thanks
Balt
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Google heater buddy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

in stock form, and in good working order with GERMAN stuff, the original heating is decent.

search here...topic comes up every year at this time. gas heater, propex, etc etc...

it won't be cheap to do no matter what.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Google heater buddy

Thanks aeromech
Years ago I have one of those and works really well, but this maybe unsafe with all this vinyl around, and my driving.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Ha ha! Try to drive a little less swervy!

I've got a couple different heater buddys. They turn off with very little "tipping" necessary, so if you did swerve and it tipped over, it would turn off almost immediately.

You could certainly get creative and come up with a way to make it less likely to tip, too! Such as bungee cords, or attaching the bottom to a wider base of some sort.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I have one of these:
My mount might be different from the picture. I screwed the mount into some of the speaker holes in the dashboard and it plugs into the lighter outlet. It works very well for defrosting the inside of the glass. Not too bad for warming your hands a bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-auto-heater-defroster-with-light-60525.html

A Mr Heater Buddy works well, but it puts out a lot of moisture which condenses on the cold glass and windshield.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Sa...ater+buddy

Aloha
tp
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Heat? HEAT?? Think yer drivin' a luxury car or sumpin'? Razz
Just dress for the weather like you were outside, because you are. Get a long- handled ice scraper and practice scraping the outside of the windshield between swipes of the wiper blades.
Kids these days. Rolling Eyes
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Cheapest thing you can do is go look at your current heating system and find out why it smells like burning oil.

How's the seal in your engine bay?
How's the seal for your engine hatch?
Are all the connections tight?
Are the accordion tubes intact?

Those old accordion and paper tubes can get pretty nasty inside and replacing them is pretty easy.

More info
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

72lowslow wrote:

I tried to used the stock system but smell so bad like burn oil and as if they were welding metal next to me.

Why don't you just fix the stock system so it doesn't smell?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Go see the colors and make an appointment to drop your bus off with Skills. Pay him to take the heat exchangers off, clean them and be sure the heater is working to full efficiency.

FWIW VW heater don't have to smell like burning oil but they will ALWAYS smell like an air-cooled VW engine. There is no way to avoid it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Go see the colors and make an appointment to drop your bus off with Skills. Pay him to take the heat exchangers off, along with the rest of the motor, and install a Subaru motor with heater.

FWIW VW heater don't have to smell like burning oil but they will ALWAYS smell like an air-cooled VW engine. There is no way to avoid it.

Fixed that for you.

Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I would not consider a Heater Buddy safer at all. It's a loose propane heater in your cab, just waiting to cause trouble. I tried one for awhile, and while it did put out heat, I was always a bit nervous about the thing. Also, as has been mentioned, it puts out a lot of water vapor (a product of the propane combustion) that will add to any fogging problems you have.

Honestly, the best thing is to fix your heating system and get it back to stock. When operating correctly, they really do offer some heat!

Your bus is probably not too far from having effective stock heat, unlike my single cab. Some PO in Texas ripped out all the heat ducting. ALL of it - including the Y-tube that runs over the rear torsion tube. They even broke off the mounts for the heater cables in the back. WHY, OH WHY, MAN? Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Putting this all back together is going to require some creative welding.

I expect in your case it is just a matter of cleaning up and tightening up.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Quote:
Some PO in Texas ripped out all the heat ducting. ALL of it - including the Y-tube that runs over the rear torsion tube. They even broke off the mounts for the heater cables in the back. WHY, OH WHY, MAN?

That one is easy John. He was pissed off it didn't have dualies, and a diesel V8 to push them.
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Aftermarket heated seat kits are fairly inexpensive on amazon... They install quick and make a huge difference if your stock heat set up is marginal.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Some PO in Texas ripped out all the heat ducting. ALL of it - including the Y-tube that runs over the rear torsion tube. They even broke off the mounts for the heater cables in the back. WHY, OH WHY, MAN?

That one is easy John. He was pissed off it didn't have dualies, and a diesel V8 to push them.

And, to be fair, there is not a lot of demand for heat in San Antonio. But, OMG, why take out the stuff that is more trouble to remove than to leave in place?!
Sorry for the rant.

Tom Powell wrote:
I have one of these:
My mount might be different from the picture. I screwed the mount into some of the speaker holes in the dashboard and it plugs into the lighter outlet. It works very well for defrosting the inside of the glass. Not too bad for warming your hands a bit.

<snip>
Aloha
tp

Yeah, but that thing draws 15 amps! You'd have to make sure that your wiring is up to the task. Still, this might help me out until I can get my ducting fixed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Stop the oil from getting into the heater box and the smell will go away after 5000 miles of highway driving or so. There are several possible sources for the oil so you may actually have more than one that needs fixing.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Yeah, but that thing draws 15 amps! You'd have to make sure that your wiring is up to the task. Still, this might help me out until I can get my ducting fixed.

I have a dedicated circuit, fused at the battery, for my 12VDC outlets. I use the outlets for my windshield defroster and my 12VDC electric blankets.

Aloha
tp
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I put an Espar Airtronic air heater in my bus. It provides more heat than I know what to do with.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

it won't be cheap to do no matter what.

That's the song your money will sing as it leaves your wallet when you try to get good heat going.

A Colorado seller here on the classifieds has whole kits for gas fired Eberspachers, around $600 for the setup. Other sellers have bits and pieces you can schlob a decent system together with.

Hold your breath when you jump in... the water's deep, but only a few choose to drink from it.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replays.
My idea was buy a small inverter enough to run a small electric heater, but I know if can be a problem with my alternator

Balt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: