Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Dipstick Problems
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timeschange1961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Type 3 Dipstick Problems Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me.

I am trying to put a type 3 FI VW on my trike frame and I wanted to find out what others have done to solve the dipstick problem. I can find a LOT about converting to an upright engine and using a dipstick adapter but I can't find any information on using a stock dipstick.

The conversion uses a short tube and a small dipstick but can't be used if you keep the pancake engine configuration, which I plan to do.

The stock type 3 dipstick uses 2 different tubes attached together by a rubber boot, one attached to the engine and one attached to the car where the dipstick/oil filler cap clicks into place.

My problem is I do not have the car part of this and even if I did, I would have no where to mount it.

I need a stand alone piece that will fit over the engine tube and hold the dipstick. Has anyone seen this solved and if so where can I get one?

Thanks
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Dipstick Problems Reply with quote

I ran the type 1 dipstick conversion setup on a kit car I was working on for a customer that had a fully dressed type 3 setup installed. It was a little more difficult to reach between the shroud and engine case to reach the dipstick, but not impossible. You could always run a similar setup, and just extend the handle of the dipstick above the fan shroud. That way you could easily reach it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Dipstick Problems Reply with quote

run one of these
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the empi 9075 extra long dipstick?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Dipstick Problems Reply with quote

i tried using the empi adapter on my project with the pancake shroud and there was no way it was going to work. angle was totally wrong. so i made my own that also uses a T1 dipstick but has better angles that allow access.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: