Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year of the beetle stands out the most?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

Out of the beetles that were made in the 1960's, which one ranks supreme, and why?

Curious to see what draws you to a specific year
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

No way to vote- your poll involves two completely different generations of a 60s beetle. To many of us here- three.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

well, I was thinking that when people buy beetles, they have to be drawn to a specific year.....In my mind at least.

Maybe with me being new to the scene, I certainly don't think of generation this or generation that....I ponder specific years. That's just me I guess
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
well, I was thinking that when people buy beetles, they have to be drawn to a specific year.....In my mind at least.

Maybe with me being new to the scene, I certainly don't think of generation this or generation that....I ponder specific years. That's just me I guess

I thought the poll odd myself. And figured the highlighted statement was the reason. Check the forum break down and you will see that most commonly, Beetles are broken down into Split Windows, Oval Windows, 58-67, 68+, and Super Beetles. Lumping 60-69 is sort of an odd grouping. Either include every year of Beetle or align your groupings more into the typical groups above. But asking which 60's Beetle is your favorite is odd. Do some more reading and figure out the culture grasshopper.

Regarding favorite year, I cant say I have one. As with most people I really like Ovals, but I know that most will be out of my reach price wise or if I can afford it will be a total lump of crap. Overall, I prefer 67 or older Beetles as I find them more ascetically pleasing. I can also afford them. I probably also gravitate more towards 63 or older as they had the cloth sunroofs which I find cool. I also like how the 61's had different color options for things like the steering columns, grab handles, seat frames, etc. As cool as these are though, I would love to have a nice Oval ragtop and couldn't care less which year.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

I thought the poll odd myself. And figured the highlighted statement was the reason. Check the forum break down and you will see that most commonly, Beetles are broken down into Split Windows, Oval Windows, 58-67, 68+, and Super Beetles. Lumping 60-69 is sort of an odd grouping. Either include every year of Beetle or align your groupings more into the typical groups above. But asking which 60's Beetle is your favorite is odd. Do some more reading and figure out the culture grasshopper.

I see, thank you for the insight. Ya, I was thinking way to simple and straight forward.....I see how it's not. thanks again.

I would edit the poll but I can't do it.......If someone can delete the poll all together, even better
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

being new to the scene... if I were in your shoes I'd look for a 69...Lots of good stuff there not only the year Very Happy IRS suspension, 1600 mtr, 12V, perhaps easier to find a good driver, maybe less rust being fairly newer, easier to obtain body parts etc... good introduction into the air cooled scene....

happy hunting and Welcome to the forum !!!read the stickies here, lots of good buyer info on what to look for during inspection to make sure you get a solid example.....
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

back when I was in high school, (1995), I had a 69 bug for a breif amount of time. It ran, barely and looked really rough. I had zero knowledge of bugs, and no clue where to go for information. I didn't have the internet at that time. Well, being in HS and lacking funds to keep it running, I sold it for $250. Fast forward to NOW.............I regret that decision.

When the time comes to purchasing one, I am hoping for a 1961-1966 beetle. Undecided on exact year. To me, it doesn't matter. I just want the early 60's.

I just purchased the highly recommended book "how to keep your volkswagen alive", about 10 minutes ago. I'm doing it right this time Smile
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

right on... we'll if you like the previous '67 and the years given I'd get a 66, so when you're cruising route 66 the nostalgia kicks in hard !! Laughing

my first beetle was a 68 factory sunroof.. a dime a dozen then in '88 but now not so much....especially in that condition
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

Crankbait what is the favored crankbait?

My favorite bug is the ones I have in the driveway. On the newer models I would group 68~73 and the 74~79.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

qt1953 - ahhh, the favored crankbait of choice would be the Bandit series. 100% of the time I'm using black

you?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

I voted 1969, primarily because of the IRS transmission.

Since I've R&R'd both IRS and swing axles, I prefer IRS.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

'67 look the coolest but for a daily driver I would get the 69 because of the IRS. Then I would put the early fenders on it so it looks as cool as the '67.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

I see the 67 is getting the bulk of the votes.....Can anyone tell me why?
What would draw people to this year? I see racerdave commented on looks the coolest for a daily driver.......is there more to it than that? you really have me curious now
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

1967 was a one year only design. They have a ton of one year only parts that make it stand out. It also was the first year for 12 volt. I have one, you can see my thread in my signature.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814 Here's a huge thread about '67 stuff.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

one year only parts, 12V, old metal dash

Edit: 67ctbug beat me to it

Last edited by 63 vwnotch on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

After looking at that thread, I see why it stands out. Wouldn't that also mean, parts will be harder to find? Almost impossible to restore?

I'll check out your signature
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

They aren't impossible to restore and parts aren't too hard to come by. They may be a little harder then finding parts for other years, but that's why it's unique. The parts are a little bit more expensive, but they are being reproduced like most other parts for any other beetle. Mine is still in restoration at the moment. It was the final year for the "classic" beetle, and in my opinion is the best year.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

Well the 67 does have unique one year only parts. I get it. My 68 type one standard has very similar items in the chassis that are also on the 67. Like the Z-bar. Opps 2 year part. My 73 type one standard has one yr only stuff also and as I have discovered some 72 items on it. Must have been in the parts bin at the time of assembly. Had a 67 many last century. Sold it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

Take the 67 getting more votes with a grain of salt. Understand that 67 was sort of the transition from the older generation to the newer one. 67 is somewhat unique in that matter. Not a lot of differences in 60-66 so they are maybe considered more interchangeable?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What year of the beetle stands out the most? Reply with quote

I own a 67 and a 69. I like them both but I prefer the 67. It still has the towell rail bumpers which I think look great. It has the steel dash. Ball joint front ends started in 66 so the 67 has them as well which I prefer over kingpins. I think the 30-1 Solex carb was the best that came on bugs.

The 67's are just a solidly built bug. It's hard to articulate why they feel different than the 68+ bugs. Parts are not difficult to find for them. They made like 1 million 67 bugs so used parts are still plentiful. I've never not found something I needed in used condition.

I think it comes down to 67's are the last link to the early bugs before VW started to add all the other things to meet smog, safety and other needs of the day.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: