Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand new custom Syncro transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you pay for a new Syncro transaxle?
A) under $5000
32%
 32%  [ 42 ]
B) $5000 - $8000
32%
 32%  [ 42 ]
C) $8000- $10,000
17%
 17%  [ 23 ]
D) $10,000 - $15,000
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
E) Whatever it takes!
9%
 9%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 130

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

With a granny and full locker, I'd be all over it.

Edit: Proven reliability is of course equally important.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com

Last edited by gears on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

gears wrote:

Who knows if it actually needs a granny and full locker though.
Need to drive it first. Subarus are very capable because they have a true center differential unlike the Syncro.

Anyway, hopefully we see the actual results in a few weeks and see how capable it is.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Well, if you creep off-road the ENGINE requires a granny gear. No getting around that ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
gears wrote:

Need to drive it first. Subarus are very capable because they have a true center differential unlike the Syncro.

I NEED a granny and locker on mine. If I didn't, I'd be stuffing an Audi or Porsche trans in there.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

I'd like to add a vote for granny gear. For what I like to do, the granny makes it possible to slow down on loose gravel and bumps on steepish climbs. The low gear makes it possible to get up without beating the van to death, you know what I mean.

Sometimes I even think that in those situations a 2wd with locker of some sort and granny would be almost as good.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

Sometimes I even think that in those situations a 2wd with locker of some sort and granny would be almost as good.

Alistair

Sir,

Please turn in your Syncro to a local VW club and hang your head in shame. Blasphemy I say. Laughing j/k

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

Alistair

Sir,

Please turn in your Syncro to a local VW club and hang your head in shame. Blasphemy I say. Laughing j/k

Yeah, what was I thinking?

I've slapped my face a few times and splashed same with cold water. I'm all better now, thanks.

Smile

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
gears wrote:

Anyway, hopefully we see the actual results in a few weeks and see how capable it is.

Very interested in new options for 2WD conversion. This is a great thread!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with my gearbox designer, and can say with confidence that the best team in the business will be addressing our needs. Their new Swiss-made 5-axis will be producing NLA Syncro mainshafts next year, and they'll also be looking at designing an entire transaxle replacement for HD applications. This is in addition to the HD 3rd & 4th gears that are nearing completion. Exciting times for me ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

gears wrote:
I just got off the phone with my gearbox designer, and can say with confidence that the best team in the business will be addressing our needs. Their new Swiss-made 5-axis will be producing NLA Syncro mainshafts next year, and they'll also be looking at designing an entire transaxle replacement for HD applications. This is in addition to the HD 3rd & 4th gears that are nearing completion. Exciting times for me ..
Very Happy Dancing Popcorn Popcorn Yellow Vanagon
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
gears wrote:
Very Happy Dancing Popcorn Popcorn Yellow Vanagon

Awesome news! I think most of us here would agree you are the best guy to be on this job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Applause Applause VW Logo :2gunfire:
You the man gears!!
If this really happens the last puzzle for our vans is solved!!!!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

My interest is of course maintaining G gear, which I must have for the places I take my camper. Otherwise, I think Andrew's mod is the way to go for reliability.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

gears wrote:

Oooo...exciting! Thank you for all of the help, info and insight that you have offered over the years. I have learned a lot from you and others who are willing to take the time to share.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

OOOOuuuuHHHH!! Shocked

That's super duper awesome Razz

I didn't hear back from you last email, but here comes the news, all fresh and mouth watering!

I cannot wait for those exciting parts to be available.

I bet more people are gonna have lead soles starting tomorrow Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Gears for LordKing of Syncrolandia!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Gears, that is great news. I will start saving for the new HD transaxle. I see my Syncro with a large torquey Diesel engine idleing up rocky off-road grades and staying with traffic in mountain passes without the worry of transaxle failures.

A dream come true is in the making.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

All hail gears for king of syncrolandia!!!!
Will you need us to crowd fund it to get it off the ground? Preorders? Our first born child?

Can we have it on 5 speeds plus G?
We should gear it with a 4.86 so we don't have to all change our front diffs but have other R and P available.
Also we should set it up for larger tires - perhaps 29"?
The possibilities are endless- I'm so excited! I could chip my 1.8t and not be scared!!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Lol .. Keep in mind that I don't KNOW that everything we want is even possible, given the space we have to work with, but yes .. 4.86 and 5-spd + G are two of the required features.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brand new custom Syncro transaxle Reply with quote

Exciting news!
Now I guess I'll have to sell something to afford it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: