Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

My van was gathering a few heavy rust spots so its time to repaint. Since I planned to pull the interior for sound deadening it seemed like as good as time as ever to also swap the color. I'll keep the color announcement a surprise for future posts.

My van is in pretty sound shape with limited dents and clean interior especially for 250k. While everything is out I'll be adding some new features including hot water shower, remove swivel seat, etc.

Where I need help is around selecting new headliner and vinyl materials. Looking to do something unique but I am certainly more of a mechanic than a interior designer.

Tips and comments welcome, I'll be keeping this updated with new photos.

As he sits before the strip
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bumper rust

Bubbles at the hookups

Empty face

No need for this hole

Fronts out

End of Day One
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Ooh, this is going to be fun!

Headliner? I'm selecting a headliner material for my high-top. One material near the top of my list is Veltex. It's a display fabric made by Velcro and it's designed to receive Velcro hook material. I've attached a 2' strip of Velcro hook and ripped it off many times and the material doesn't show any wear. Seattle Fabrics has used it as a display material and moved signs on it for years and it still looks reasonably good.

I don't have any experience of it in use as an actual headliner but I thought I'd mention it.

Scroll down to Velcro laminates...
http://www.velcro.com/business/products/converted-and-fabricated-products

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

This is a crafty idea mate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Day 2: Cabinets are out

Almost an empty shell. Looks like this thing is going to the junkyard more than a paint job

Cut out the panel with a dremel under passenger seat for storage

Removed driver side swivel base, opening up more room for my aux battery accessories.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Got the Van dropped off at AJ Auto body in Emeryville, CA.

Day 2 the antenna hole is filled and front is sanded.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Anxious to see how this turns out for you! I am in Oakland and will be needing some body/paint work done this winter and have been needing to start looking for a shop. Are you planning to still use your radio? If so, what are you doing for an antennae?
Some people call him Maurice...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

the problem with paint used in Oakland and other nearby areas is that the laws have banned the good paints. Now you get water color paints with a clear coat, expect the clear coat to peel off shortly. Id drive the van to a place that uses the good stuff. probably better in the long run environmentally to have the good paint as it will last longer, negating the need for a future repaint.

good luck

PS I had to drive to Santa Cruz County to purchase good paint for a door repaint, they could not sell the good stuff in San Mateo, Santa Clara nor Alameda counties , Didn't even bother to check with San Francisco county.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

I wish good luck w this shop. I thought I had them interested in repairing some seam rust by the wheel well and repainting a sliding door to replace a bashed one.
"We'll get back to you by email w/ an estimate", I was promised After three unreturned phone calls, I gave up on them. Too bad as they had two We$tys that looked like they were getting thorough re-paint jobs
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Sides are almost done. Filled the exhaust hole for the old fridge. After long debate kept the hookup doors. Almost removed to reduce moisture from getting in but the ability to hookup in the future seemed likely.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

tangojeff wrote:
I wish good luck w this shop. I thought I had them interested in repairing some seam rust by the wheel well and repainting a sliding door to replace a bashed one.
"We'll get back to you by email w/ an estimate", I was promised After three unreturned phone calls, I gave up on them. Too bad as they had two We$tys that looked like they were getting thorough re-paint jobs

Yeah, I have to stay on top of them with multiple followups to get my quotes, but they have been very accommodating and know there stuff about Westys. I would recommend this shop so far.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Sunday I recieved 1/8th ABS plastic from TAPS plastics to redo all door cards/panels. Flattened the old fiberboard cards and traced it out. Will be cutting with jigsaw and wrapping in new vinyl. Spent the night watching videos to do high/low vinyl designs and will be giving it a shot once the fabric is selected.

wynnep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Van looks good for repaint. One stupid remark be careful when you cut your door panels. Make the line disappear. If you leave the line or part of the line the panel will be to big. I have done this when using a piece of metal as a template resulting in the cut piece being larger than the template. Hope you thought of this and I am just wasting words.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

wynnep wrote:
Van looks good for repaint. One stupid remark be careful when you cut your door panels. Make the line disappear. If you leave the line or part of the line the panel will be to big. I have done this when using a piece of metal as a template resulting in the cut piece being larger than the template. Hope you thought of this and I am just wasting words.

Yup, Thanks! Very Happy The goal is to remove any material that is silver marker. I don't have to be too accurate on my cuts as long as I am inside the lines as I will be wrapping the panel. So minor imperfections wont be noticeable like if I was going unwrapped ABS.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
wynnep wrote:

Yup, Thanks! Very Happy The goal is to remove any material that is silver marker. I don't have to be too accurate on my cuts as long as I am inside the lines as I will be wrapping the panel. So minor imperfections wont be noticeable like if I was going unwrapped ABS.

imperfections in the panel can show thru the upolstery, make all edges as nice and straight , (or smooth in the case of curves) as possible. chamfer all the edges well so upolstery does not get cut by the edges that it is folded over.

pay attention to the material thickness also, best to make it as close to factory as possible in thickness for a good look

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Exhaust Vent filled. Hookup areas repaired.

The van only had one spot rusted through, working on cutting it out now

Next is to remove all the seem sealer and replace
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

If anyone has a small cabinet door grey, please let me know.

I was able to find a brown one, which I can refinish with grey handle and laminate but I have been unable to find the surrounding seals. Anyone know?

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
My van was gathering a few heavy rust spots so its...

Tips and comments welcome

Remove the winshield. I bet you'll be shock of what you'll found under that rubber.

my2cents

nice work

English is a second language to me
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

I was wondering how long the "windshield is being left in?" issue was yet to be mentioned, too. I didn't see any specific rust in the pix, but if you are going to the extent you are, and not removing the windshield, there must be some reason you have not yet mentioned. Could be the first place you will see a blemish or bubble after you spend all that effort this time around. If it were me, that would be heartbreak.

pathao wrote:

Remove the winshield. I bet you'll be shock of what you'll found under that rubber.

my2cents

nice work

InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Windshield has been left in to minimize dust inside the cabin. It will be pulled out soon. I also expect to find some rust underneath the seal.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
If anyone has a small cabinet door grey, please let me know.

I was able to find a brown one, which I can refinish with grey handle and laminate but I have been unable to find the surrounding seals. Anyone know?

You're after the holy grail. The best bet so far is to paint the door mounding.

Grey lateches are available for sale, as are hinges...sometimes. I've bought smaller doors off e-bay for silly prices to get parts. Grey fridge doors are as rare as hens teeth. There are threads here where people have had some success ordering from Europe but there's been disappointment in the color. Bulk orders have been placed, etc. I'm ready to pay $10/foot for grey door mounding (I have two doors that need it).

Threads:

Page three of this thread has some info plus paint advice:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626362

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528786

Something tells me if there was an easy way to sell this molding for profit that GW would be doing it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: