Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
Day 2: Cabinets are out
<SNIP>

Very nice work!
Appoximately how many hours did it take you to completely strip it like this?
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Quote:
Very nice work!

It took approximately 32 hours over 2 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
Quote:
Very nice work!

It took approximately 32 hours over 2 days.

Shocked HARDCORE!

What was your paint estimate? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. I am asking because I need to do the same thing, and I've been putting it off ...
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Got the rear......muffler protection vent thingy, straightened and rust free
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the exhaust plate weld

Slider sanded, little bit more block left

Door almost done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Great thread! Van looks solid and straight, enjoying the post, and thank you for documenting it.

Curious - what tires are you running? Brand and size?

Thanks!

Jason
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

jasonpap2002 wrote:
Curious - what tires are you running? Brand and size?
Jason

Thanks Jason! 16" General AT2 Wheel / Tire Package from Rocky Mountain Westy. Very satisfied.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Entirely disassembled the sliding windows today for 3 reasons. I want to paint the frames, easier to tint the glass, and I take everything apart Razz

Came apart easy, getting back together my be a different story.

I'll accept suggestions for the appropriate sealant for the frame edges, please!

I may create detailed images/description in a separate thread as I could not find a complete disassembly description.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
If anyone has a small cabinet door grey, please let me know.

I was able to find a brown one, which I can refinish with grey handle and laminate but I have been unable to find the surrounding seals. Anyone know?

That rear-facing door on that cabinet is an excellent idea! When my van is full for camping, I can't open the side door on that cabinet without unloading all the things blocking the side door.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Getting ready for my speaker upgrade all around. I believe I've made the decision to go with four 5.25 speakers front and rear.

I've narrowed down to the JL Audio C2-525x. This speaker has a 2.5inch depth, I can't find anywhere what the max speaker depth is allowed in the van doors. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!

InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Finished the work on the ABS door cards. Sanded down to match the originals and double checked the drill spaces by mating the two. Found the 25/64 bit to be perfect for the clips. At this size you can still get them out if needed, but a firm fit.

InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while. Started lining all cabinets with trunkliner. Few reasons why this is awesome.

Looks great, soft feel, covers old stains, maybe will cut down on some rattling.

Used 3M spray adhesive for the first batch, looking for a cheaper alternative in the long run. Soon all cabinets will be covered in charcoal trunkliner.

InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Kept the trunkliner going and lined all cabinets.

Finished up by building a box to enclose the propex heater lines.

InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Van got primed and straight through a few rounds of sanding.

Next up is the interior prep for lizard skin.
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Subscribed! Looks great so far.

Curious where you find room for all this work! Garages/shops aren't plentiful in the city (I also live in SF)!
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Floor is cleared of the carpet glue and all sides have been lightly sanded for the lizard skin to adhere.

gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

InitialWesty wrote:
Floor is cleared of the carpet glue and all sides have been lightly sanded for the lizard skin to adhere.

No idea what lizard skin is, but following.
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Lizard Skin is spray on insulation and sound dampening. Dampens road and other exterior noises. Its like a hard rubber.

Link
InitialWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Lizard Skin is spray on insulation and sound dampening. Dampens road and other exterior noises. Its like a hard rubber.

Link

I went with 6 gallons of Sound Control and Ceramic Insulation. Here it is after the sound control.

Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

Any update? How's she looking?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent's Makeover Restoration/Re-Paint Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the problem with paint used in Oakland and other nearby areas is that the laws have banned the good paints. Now you get water color paints with a clear coat, expect the clear coat to peel off shortly. Id drive the van to a place that uses the good stuff. probably better in the long run environmentally to have the good paint as it will last longer, negating the need for a future repaint.

good luck

PS I had to drive to Santa Cruz County to purchase good paint for a door repaint, they could not sell the good stuff in San Mateo, Santa Clara nor Alameda counties , Didn't even bother to check with San Francisco county.
^^ Very Important Post ^^

Well Done, couldn't agree more!

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: