Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ASI Riviera pop-top parts question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
airsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Hi folks

My name is Phil, I live in Switzerland and I'm the lucky owner of a 1971 early bay for about 5 years and now I couldn't resist buying a second one - it's a 1978 ASI Riviera... Smile

I'm doing a resto "light" in order to preserve the original paint and its wonderful patina... ...but the ASI roof needs work, so new canvas, new seals and some new parts for broken bits of the pop-top mecanic... ...and that is this thread about - I searched all threads about ASI pops but couldn't find any infos about where to buy the little white plastic parts, that slide in the rails for the X-shaped brackets/scissors. so the part on which the ends of the scissors are attached to the sliding rails...

does anyone know where I can buy this part or does anyone have some of them in nos or used good working order for me to buy?

btw: does anybody know what kind of material was used between the metal roof of the bus and the sliding rails that are mounted on the metal roof of the bus?

and for now my last question: did anyone buy the ASI roof canvas and roof seals of bus depot? what kind of experiences did you make with these products lately?

thanks a lot for your help!

best,
phil

Last edited by airsam on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

I'm not sure these are the same on Bay ASI tops but
check here
http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/replacement-bearings-for-your-pop-top/

they also offer the canvas
http://countryhomescampers.com/shop/pop-top-canvas/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

hi dan

thanks a lot for your answer and the links, too! sounds good, because they say, that the bearings will work with ASI Riviera tops... ...I think I'll try them...

nevertheless, if there is anybody of you having more infos/answers to my questions about ASI Riviera seals, canvas, bearings (see above) or just tips I should consider regarding my ASI pop-top, I will be very glad to receive some more infos... Smile

enjoy the weekend!

phil
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

ASI (Automotive Services Inc. (Beaverton, Oregon USA)

Go down to ASI
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Go down to Riviera
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_id=2104995572&start=0
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Run or Post a picture of the M-Plate
M-Plate Location

Adding pictures to the Gallery and Posting them to the Forum

Good luck
Tcash
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

I found the rollers at the local ACE hardware store- they had a RV repair section and a row of specialty items. The plastic rollers had a real ball bearing and a bolt hole for attaching.

Mine has an aluminum extrusion sitting on a lot of mastic sealer screwed to the roof. A cordless drill with tip just freed up the whole thing. same with the wood rail round and inside of the extrusion.

There were 2 types of pop tops- one- the monkey motion that raised the roof was out side the tent - the other was inside. - so 2 different size tents- get the right one.[img]

[/img]

The tent is just stapled to the wood top and bottom. (Lots of them) The wood rail semi glassed to the roof pop up is some pretty sad stuff- so you will want a "real" 1x3 pine up there with an eighth inch door skin filler to bring that up to code.

I'm using all stainless bolts with stop nuts to replace the pins in the monkey motion frame. The original rust and stain the frame work pretty bad.

trying to get "Amish canvas " to put out a line of tents- but they need a templet- and have not got back to me yet.

You should think about drilling out the rivets that hold the front baggage storage on the roof over the cab.- Mine was completely rusted thru the roof where that part rubbed the paint and stored the salt water from the coast.

Feel free to go to my gallery and see how that was fixed Embarassed d'oh! Shocked Shocked Applause Applause

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to find new latches to hold down the Poptop? I ordered some Jeep hood latches but they aren't a good replacement because they don't have the 90* bend in the arm. See the side by side of the original and the jeep version.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

I bent the ones I have/use on my baja hood

but you can order 90* bent jeep latches

http://www.trailerworldpartsdept.com/product-p/wj92kit.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hood-Latch-Black-Finish-Je...00?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-MB-GPW-M37-M71...0833683361
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I bent the ones I have/use on my baja hood

but you can order 90* bent jeep latches

http://www.trailerworldpartsdept.com/product-p/wj92kit.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hood-Latch-Black-Finish-Je...00?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-MB-GPW-M37-M71...0833683361

Awesome! Thank you!
airsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your very helpful posts - that's great! Smile And sorry for my late reply; the office keeps me away from my family and hobbies to often... :-/

@ williamM: Thanks for your helpful infos - as far as I understood and saw on your pics, your pop top roof has got the monkey motion on the outside (as mine has). Is it correct, that you ordered the smaller version of the pop top tent canvas - ASI/Riviera Camper - offered by busdepot.com... ...so the one 276''?

Would be great to hear about the "amish canvas" when you have received and mounted/tested it... Smile

@ danfromsyr: Thanks as well for your helpful infos - I'm glad to order at least the replacement bearings from countryhomescampers.com

BTW: Does anyone know where I could find the parts (the little metal hooks), that fix the plywood section that goes across the opening for the top bed extension piece...? Maybe one of you has got some in stock... Smile

Thanks for your answers and cheers,
Phil
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

haven't heard back from them on the canvas yet, but they have advertising for the westies on the classified here yesterday, so can talk to them there. Last I heard, they needed a template, but no body got back to me

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

ok - but did you order as well a canvas of busdepot.com, or did you just send the template to get an amish version?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

airsam wrote:
ok - but did you order as well a canvas of busdepot.com, or did you just send the template to get an amish version?

As the bus isn't roadworthy yet, I'm putting the canvas replacement on hold.
2 other Rivi owners here are also interested in canvas, but are in the same boat I'm in. Will post to samba if the tent becomes available thru them- as they have appeared to be considerably cheaper and special order. for color.

Don't step in any!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

I found this website during some of my Riviera research. It may be helpful to you guys working on your Camper Tops.

http://www.aircoolednut.com/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=103

And this one has some good info:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417602
haydenslides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

IVES676 thanks for posting that gallery link...my riviera was pulled apart when i got it. now i know where everything goes!
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

anybody have info on where to source the hinge in this pic?
i used to have a riviera that had a hinge like this so that the additional bed platform didn't have to be so damn heavy. i like this solution. Any insights?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Looks like regular old Piano hinge from the hardware store to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Mine is a regular ol' piano hinge - 3' long (almost the exact length of the board).

I suggest ponying up the few extra $ to get a stainless steel hinge, or it will look like that one in a couple of years.
chucknox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: ASI Riviera pop-top parts question Reply with quote

Cool. So 3' long and about 1/2" wide? I can't imagine it being much wider since the bed platform isn't even an inch. Is that about right on yours?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: