Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nose clip repair, need some ideas
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

I own a 1978 Westy with sheet metal damage on the nose clip and I would like to know the best way to make repairs, replace or repair is the question? Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=reefkeep&show_results=summary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

welcome to the forum!!!!

it's an open ended question without pics.... no one could give and honest opionin without them...
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

Most of the strength of that area is the channel for the vent grill or whatever it's called.

What has to be done so you can get a hammer on one side and a dolly on the other? Otherwise you have to use a puller or possibly both procedures. Your going to have to do some shrinking after that channel is manipulated.

Edit: Why are people stingy with photos? Laughing
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
welcome to the forum!!!!

it's an open ended question without pics.... no one could give and honest opionin without them...

There is photos of my bus in my galley, take a look pls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Most of the strength of that area is the channel for the vent grill or whatever it's called.

What has to be done so you can get a hammer on one side and a dolly on the other? Otherwise you have to use a puller or possibly both procedures. Your going to have to do some shrinking after that channel is manipulated.

Edit: Why are people stingy with photos? Laughing

Thank you, didn't really want to do any welding if I could help it.
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

There is photos in my first post, follow the link to them pls
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

To get that out correctly, you really need to pull it out with a auto body frame machine. A slide hammer won't do it. You "may" be able to push it out with a porta-power but if you've never done this kind of work, you'd be much better off having a good body shop do it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
reefkeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nose clip repair, need some ideas Reply with quote

I was planning on a body shop do the work, I just wanted to make sure the repairs were done correctly and I wasn't taken to the cleaners or them blowing smoke up my tail end..And thanks for input Bill
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: