Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater booster fan how much cfm?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: heater booster fan how much cfm? Reply with quote

I had to retrofit a bus heater fan on to my 412 and while going over it to get it ready for winter, I noticed there did not seem to be much air flow so I checked it at the heater hose where it is attached to the engine tin and still didn't feel too much air. How much air should be flowing through this? Are the van heater fans reverse airflow from the 412?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: heater booster fan how much cfm? Reply with quote

The 411 and 412 variant have reversed airflow from the sedans....and only one outlet.. from memory....the bus fan has an inlet and two outlets like the sedan,so its possible its rversed from what you need. I have not been able to find a cfm rating either in my books or the "without guesswork" book. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: heater booster fan how much cfm? Reply with quote

I cant find the cfm figure either.
Also cfm at free blowing (no hoses attached) and cfm installed are two different figures due to the pressure drop in the ducting. My experience is that the 411/412 heater fan has a lot of air when free blowing but the airflow in the coupe is rather low when car at idle and heater fan running. Even at cruising the air flow is rather low to my opinion. This might be due to pressure drop and air lekage.

If you suspect the fan to be faulty you could measure the current draw it is rated at 8-9Amps at 13Volts and fan installed and car on idle.
Dont know for sure if the Bus fan is the same.
Edit: a bus heater manual states 6-7 Amps for a double outlet fan at engine running and 6,8-7,2 for a single outlet fan engine not running....there might be more bus fan types than two however...

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: heater booster fan how much cfm? Reply with quote

Well i figured out the bus blower goes the wrong direction. So does anyone know of alternatives? I am reluctant to get another 412 fan since they are ancient so it would be nice to find a newer one to replace it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: heater booster fan how much cfm? Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Well i figured out the bus blower goes the wrong direction. So does anyone know of alternatives? I am reluctant to get another 412 fan since they are ancient so it would be nice to find a newer one to replace it.

At kn5e point in time.....the fan motor could be replaced by a 12 volt unit made by Dayton...with a little worm to the shaft mount point.

Really....the original motors can be rebuilt by any competent electric motor shop. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: