Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ice Pick Lock Barrels
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a genuine sg code lock barrel will fit in a pattern or repro ice pic door handle?

I now have a correct 4 screw sg ignition for my oval, i have a sg t-handle i can re tumble to match the ignition, but my handle is a repro,
I can get an sg handle barrel, will it be a straight fit?

Cheers

Luke
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

Interesting... Never heard the door handles referred to that term before...
BlueOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

I looked briefly into it some time ago. I came to a halt when I found the repro cylinder is held in place with a press fit pin. In the org handle it is held in by a M2.5 screw. I didn't want to go beyond the point of no return and try to remove the pin. The problem is that the end of the pin is pressed below or flush with the surrounding surface, so there’s nothing the grab on with e.g. pliers. It has to be drilled or milled out (difficult as the pin probably is much harder than the zinc handle) with a drill bit small enough that you can cut a M2.5 thread in it afterwards (or press in a slightly larger pin if you are certain you'll never need to remove the cylinder again). It might be possible to drill an access hole from the other side of the handle and hammer out the pin from below, but I haven’t tested that yet.
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

Thanks for that, i will have a closer look at my handle and see how it sits...

Maybe cheaper to buy a vv nice or nos sg handle and just re tumble, as a sg code barrel seams to be around $100 or so...

cheers

Luke
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

I thought WW was reproducing the handles with correct profiles now. Maybe you can get your key coded door handle and not have to bother.

$65 for handle and 2 keys part #113837205
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ice Pick Lock Barrels Reply with quote

that is a pre 55 door handle,

looks nice, but not correct for 56-59

cheers anyway

luke
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: