Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions Reply with quote

Might have an issue with my starter. Sometimes only get the "click", but only when the motor is good and hot. Usually it eventually ends up turning over, but this weekend, needed to use the screwdriver across the terminals trick, which turned the starter immediately. Got me home and been happy again since. So, here's my questions:

1) Anyone have any experience with Ultima-brand starters? They are from O'Reilly's autoparts and are significantly less expensive than alternatives I've seen, but I don't know anything about them excepting that they have a lifetime warranty.

2) Does the bushing need to be replaced with the starter? I've heard differing opinions.

By the way, this is a '61, 6V car. Thanks!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions Reply with quote

clean all the grounds and check voltage going to the solenoid while cranking. If it is low you might need a hard start relay.
Differing opinions on them but I have them in both my bugs, 6 and 12 volt.
It's usually a crap shoot with FLAPS rebuilds but they are guaranteed right?
And yes the starter bushing should be changed.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions Reply with quote

If you can jump the starter across the terminals then the problem is not with the starter since if it was this would not work.

The problem is your wiring and connections. As mentioned the Hard Start Relay may fix the problem after you have determined your connections are good and your battery is in shape.

Here is some information on the topic.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_03_01/wired_03_01.htm
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
If you can jump the starter across the terminals then the problem is not with the starter since if it was this would not work.

The problem is your wiring and connections. As mentioned the Hard Start Relay may fix the problem after you have determined your connections are good and your battery is in shape.

Here is some information on the topic.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_03_01/wired_03_01.htm

Battery is in good enough shape. Most of the wiring has been gone through, although not down at the starter itself. Ground straps are good though. I'll check the wiring at the starter and ignition switch and clean connections.
To be clearer, I don't really suspect the starter itself, but the solenoid instead. I wasn't sure the solenoid could be changed independently from the starter and so thought a new starter might be in order. Frustrating since this is definitely heat related and I live in Tucson, where it seems to always be hot!
Thanks much for the suggestions and tips!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starter, bushing, Ultima brand questions Reply with quote

Hi. I highly doubt the starter bushing is at fault here, but there should be a good bushing installed.
One issue with the 6v system is that you need a minimum of 4.8v for anything to properly operate, whereas a 12v system needs 9.6v.
I believe you need to get yourself a decent DVOM and learn the procedure for checking voltage drop/loss with this meter. There are video's about this on youtube.
With the DVOM, I would assure you have a fully charged up battery, at about 6.2v. Also assure your charging voltage is about 7.2, as I recall back to the battery.
Now you can try this voltage drop test in a controlled environment vs when you are stranded somewhere.
With the DVOM on dc volt scale, positive on the battery positive and negative on the terminal 50 at the starter. You can disable the ignition if you want. Now crank the engine over and document the DVOM reading. This is the voltage drop thru the entire positive circuit, that activates the starter solenoid.
Now the second test will be the a voltage drop on the large battery cable. Leave the one DVOM lead on the battery positive terminal and change the position of the negative DVOM lead to the large bolt-on cable at the starter. Crank over and document the reading. This is the voltage drop on the battery positive cable.
Now hook the DVOM lead on the starter housing and the other on the battery negative terminal. Crank the engine over and document the meter reading. This is the voltage drop thru the ground circuit for the starter.
Let us know your readings. Definitely should be less than .5v, and many want to see only .2v on a circuit. This should be achievable on the battery positive cable and the ground circuit. Possibly with the length of the wires, many connections, and thru many components, a low voltage drop may not be achievable. This could be remedied with the relay.
The hard start relay is good but only helps the positive circuit. If you have a messed up ground circuit it wont help.
Heat is a source of resistance within an electrical circuit, so if your engine is overheating this could be a cause at the starter. Also, the starters from the generic parts stores aint known for high quality, as seen by the prices and country of re-manufacture.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: