Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

1641cc dual port engine, rebuilt by me last year about 8k miles ago.
Arrow aftermarket stock heater boxes
Arrow header and bugpack muffler, about 1-3/8"?
Arrow H30/31 carb, 'rebuilt' with carb kit same time as engine build
Arrow Bosch/VW 205T vac-only distributor, rebuilt but not spec'd on a machine

The problem is I can't seem to lean the idle mixture out enough, and the idle speed (volume) doesn't have much of a range either. Sorry, I don't have a mixture meter so I don't know what it's actually doing, but as I tighten the mixture screw I hear the idle increase slightly and then the screw bottoms out. I am expecting RPM to increase as I lean the mixture, find where it leans to a miss, and then back the screw off to just rich of peak.. but I can't lean it that much.

Can anyone help me figure it out?

I put on a new aftermarket stock type bus muffler this spring and actually was able to get a little better adjustability, but now that I put my header/muffler back on, I'm having the same problem again with idle speed and mixture. If I remember correctly it's a 55 and a 60 idle jets.

It seems to run well at speed, I think I have a 120 main.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

how open is the throttle plate at idle?
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

The fast idle screw is set to spec but I haven't measured the gap at the plate.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

Found it, my fuel level was set too high and the needle was intermittently sticking open or closed. Amazing what a difference a few mm of fuel makes!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

That yellow sticker on the coil is installed upside down, won't help how engine runs but.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: H30/31 carb on 1641cc hard to adjust Reply with quote

Lol, you're far from the first person to tell me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: