Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New book on VW buses and campers
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Well, it's out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was planning on a release date of November 12 (the 67th anniversary of the debut of the VW Bus), but things have moved a little faster than expected, so here we are.

The link to the Amazon store is at:

http://tinyurl.com/jdffndp

It should be available to your local bookstores in a month or so. It's ISBN-13: 978-0979063510

There are a few people in it that folks might recognize, notably Splitpile, VWHoward, Static, PJalau, and our own beloved Amskeptic. Colin has a page and a half there, buried in the verbiage. And there's a whole chapter on Buses By the Bridge, compiled from three of my seven visits to that event.

For those in the Sacramento area, there'll be a book signing on November 12 at the Avid Reader on Broadway, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Feel free to come down and say hello!

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie
with an Allstate single-wheel trailer
Past buses: '61 17-window
'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

congrats !!!!
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

I'm up for going to this event. Anyone in the Bay Area wanting to attend, perhaps we could get a caravan going to show support?

x2 on the Congrats
PopTopDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Looks great, congrats! Will pick one up soon. Smile
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Congratulations!
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
I'm up for going to this event. Anyone in the Bay Area wanting to attend, perhaps we could get a caravan going to show support?

x2 on the Congrats

Thanks!

At your suggestion, I've put an ad in the Classified Section here on the Samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1983876

in hopes that I might sell enough of these books to get gas money for Buses By the Bridge (which, I might add, has a chapter of its own in the book).

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Just finished.
No wine was spilled during the reading of this epic work of literature.
There might be a movie or two in there.
VW peeps are the best.

Excellent read.

Thank you
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:

Excellent read.

Thanks!

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Looking forward to the signing tomorrow. We should be there between 1-2.
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

And here's an invite for anybody with an Amazon.com account (and, these days, who doesn't?):

If you have read the book, please feel free to review it and post the review there, to let others know what they're getting for their bux. I'd appreciate it!

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Totally enjoyed the signing, purchase, and passage readings.
Now. I'm thinking there has gotta be another book somewherez in there chock full of stories that couldn't be included in the first book? Huh? Huh?
You're a good man, Mr. LaTorre.
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Totally enjoyed the signing, purchase, and passage readings.
Now. I'm thinking there has gotta be another book somewherez in there chock full of stories that couldn't be included in the first book? Huh? Huh?

Maybe. And, as I said on the back cover, the story's not over yet.

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
BeetleBrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

Congratulations! Here's to hoping it sells well. It looks like something we'd all be into around here Smile
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

CurtisJ wrote:
Congratulations! Here's to hoping it sells well. It looks like something we'd all be into around here Smile

Thanks! UK people should know that Amazon UK has it, in both paperback and e-book form (I think).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bus-Buses-Forty-Years-Mil...On+The+Bus

And if you know any automotive-related booksellers in the UK who might want to stock it, please let me know via PM and I'll have my publisher make contact with them.

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

The book is quite good! It's rare that someone who has had that many experiences (and that many buses) writes it down in a book.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JLT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New book on VW buses and campers Reply with quote

static wrote:
The book is quite good!

Aw, he only sounds astonished because he knows me. (But thanks for the compliment!)

Full disclosure: Static saw an early draft of the book and made some astute suggestions, most of which I followed. But it's the finished book he's commenting on, not the early draft.

'70 Frankenwestie
'71 Frankenwestie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: