Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

max hp stock forged counterweighted crank?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikaelh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

Hi
i got an original german made crankshaft wich is forged and welded counterweight on and wonder how much it it can handle?
69 mm stroke its made by bug pack 23 years ago.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

I have used a stock non counterweighted crank in a 250 hp turbocharged engine with no problems.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

2-4 hundred? Doesen't really matter, as long as it's more than all the other parts
At some level of HP and rpm the flywheel will come of, does that count?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

mikaelh wrote:
Hi
i got an original german made crankshaft wich is forged and welded counterweight on and wonder how much it it can handle?
69 mm stroke its made by bug pack 23 years ago.

From Sweden? Ahhhhh Home of JPM Motorsports, they just had their Dyno day not to long ago.

Dust of that crank and run it! If your worried that our internet X-Ray Magnaflux vision is not trustworthy, you can always have JPM or some machine shop check it.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikaelh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

seems i be on safe side=) i plan to rebuild a low hp street engine for my 1303s.
i will use my as21 case build a 1915 cc and use this crank and rebuilt original connecting rods and cb 44 heads.
winter and darkness come here now so now its more time to spend in my workshop.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

Winter & Darkness Rolling Eyes We must be "Neighbors"? Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Winter & Darkness Rolling Eyes We must be "Neighbors"? Laughing Laughing

LOL.. It wont be long now, Mike! Mad Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

Hej mikaelh (Hello mikaelh)
Another swede here.
I think you are safe with the welded counterweights on the forged crank.
Make sure to get the crank + flywheel + pulley balanced at a local engine shop.

I did that with my 2007 I finished late this summer, and there is almost no vibrations.
I also weighted the pistons and conrods to differ 0,7gr lightest/heaviest.

Going from a tired abused 1600 to a fresh 2007 is quite the experience..... Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: max hp stock forged counterweighted crank? Reply with quote

IMHO if you want to know then you want hp. so sell it and get a 82-86 stroke crank that will make the power.unless your going to force feed it then it will also make power. but then I would still go with a new crank. but thets me... Im kinda stupid that way..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: