Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp stalling
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealbugthug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

I have a 1955 beetle 36 hp. It is having an issue with the idle. I have cleaned the carb. Set the timing. Has new wires and runs good and idles fine at rest but when driving it will want to stall during deceleration. I will give it a bit of throttle and will idle again. Where to begin?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

Is it only when cold or all the time?

Could be fuel pump/pressure at idle, carb float/valve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

I'd start with checking the mixture screw setting.

From
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/12_54bug.php
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealbugthug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

I tried the idle adjustment several ways and the idle mixture screw just does not seem to have any affect on it. Maybe it is plugged somewhere? seem like only the throttle adjustment is allowing it to idle. I think I will do a better cleaning/rebuild and see if that helps. Also how would I test to see if fuel pump was weak?
I also have a question on the point gap. I have it set to spec and then checked dwell which is supposed to be 50 but it is about 30. If I adjust points to get dwell close to 50 the gap is way off. Which one should I keep?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

Set dwell.

Will have to put (rig) a fuel pressure gauge to line to test it.

My experience (and others disagree or have other experiences), but once a port is clogged in an old carb, it's hard to clean out. I also run (prefer) a 30 pict 1 carb with 6V electric choke
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

Where did you get the 6 volt electric fuel pump? Does it need a pressure regulator?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp stalling Reply with quote

EVfun:

Summit racing: $30

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8011?ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

I installed a regulator and set to 3psi. Unfortunately I do not know the unregulated pressure, but doubt it's much higher. I've been running the pump for 3 years and love it. Cleaner engine compartment and consistent pressure...the price helps too.

Nice Stock rebuilt units are over $250. I used the stock choke pull location to install the switch/cutout as well. Dash looks completely stock...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: