Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

So, there's a 52 split window for sale in the area that was in "dry storage" for the past 30 years. It looks very nice.

The classic car dealer it's consigned at hasn't started it yet, but the motor is not seized. I was able to rock it back and forth myself, and end float was almost non-existant (45k miles on the motor it shows). Owner says all you should have to do is add gas and oil and fire it up.. *shudder* Make me wonder if he tried. But I couldn't smell fuel at all anywhere.

Apparently it was drained of oil and gas and put up on blocks 30 years ago. What worries me is if it was going through cold/warm cycles in MN here that the internals on the motor may have some corrosion. Tires were holding air, but very hard and dry rotting. I assume every other piece of rubber is the same way. No sign of rodents getting into it at all.

It looks to maybe have been repainted once. The only flaw I saw was a little tear/crease on the lower rear skirt. Interior looks like new.

For the right money I told them I would be interested running or not. I'd actually prefer it NOT running and as is so I could take my time with it instead and know what is done. What they are asking for it as is now is way to high I feel. (high 50s)

Man, I just can't get over how nice it was for that old of a car. The father of the owner bought it brand new. So cool! Lots of pictures and history go with it as well as the owners and service manuals.

The best thing may be to buy it and put it in storage for another 30 years and let it appreciate in value. Very Happy
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

This one?:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice, very nice.

Link for those interested: http://www.uniquemankato.com/web/used/Volkswagen-Beetle-1952-Mankato-Minnesota/33459735/

No association with the car or the dealer.
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Damn. I'd be all over that...
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one.

It's gorgeous. but I think the asking price is a bit high for what it will take to get it safely running again.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

The car presents well but i question its 45,xxx mile claim. There are incorrect parts on the engine, and the whole interior is new and not correct for an Azur blue car. Split interiors hold up very well, so a car supposedly as well kept as this one would most likely have an amazing original interior.

Maybe the son can answer some questions as to why the engine has been serviced and updated with later parts, and why the interior was redone as well as new paint job?
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Looks like a Nice car, though probably a bit overpriced. the interior seems to have been redone and could use a little fine tuning, also brings the low mileage into doubt without some verification..

It has a cyclone air cleaner and a mph speedo, so it's very likely that it was a Hoffman car.

Looks like a tempting car if it checks out in person
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

You got in before me on the mileage Sled Smile

What do you see wrong on the engine? Coil and Distributor is what jumps out to me
The fan shroud could be correct if the car was made in June of 52 and later.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Nice bondo on the bottom of the rear apron.

- Wrong interior material
- Later model carpet
- technically wrong exhaust (looks like it is from a bus)
- nice welds under the rear deck lid...seriously, for that price, clean up your welds at least!
- engine bits, although hard to tell beyond the coil, distributor

Unless you have money to burn, stay away, even if it hurts
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

I figured some of you experts would get in and look at it... I saw the welds under the decklid and pointed them out as well, no comment. It's a fresh find for the dealer too.

I also thought that if it really WAS 100% original (besides what they claim was a respray only) there would be collectors jumping all over it.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

I think some of the criticism of the car was overly harsh. It's definitely overpriced. But, the car seems very well preserved and I think a lot of people would like to get one in that shape if the price was fair considering overall condition. High $50k range absolutely not.

-very nice original paint under front bonnet and engine compartment
-nice and apparently correct original floors
-mostly correct parts throughout
-redone interior, but incorrect materials and poor installation
-incorrect paint color compared to original
-couple engine details are wrong
-excessive body filler on apron (but better photographed than typical)
-body needs to be carefully inspected for excessive filler/incorrect panels/hidden rust
-Does not run, may need complete engine rebuild
-been parked for 30 years, all systems need rebuild or gone thru
-DEFINITELY NOT 45k miles without documentation

I think this car is much nicer than what typically shows up nowadays, my main gripe is the price.
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

With the MPH speedo and the Cyclone air cleaner, I wonder if this could be a Hoffman immport? Those two things are hallmarks of a USA import.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Yes on the mph and the filter. They don't verify but they do help indicate. Most (all?) Hoffman cars came with dusty conditions m-code, the cyclone cleaner. In 1952 most (all?) US bound cars were still processed thru Hoffman I believe, hope someone more Hoffman knowledgeable will chime in.
AndrewCologne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Not sure if the market in the US is different but here in Europe such cars are offered for about 30.000 - 35.000 Euros and and their sellers are waiiiiting for a buyer though. Smile
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

I agree that the price is very high. Based on what I could see, I'd say something in the $30ks. The amount of filler on that rear apron makes me wonder too, what else is under the paint...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UniqueJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

The car is now listed on eBay and it runs! You may be surprised on where you can buy this car at for a price now!
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

So pluto is letting this car go huh? I know the car and the owner and got the chance to look at it in person a few years back. At the time he told me nothing less than 50k would touch it. What is the price now?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Just talked to the dealership. Owner wants mid-40's, but says they could probably get a deal done in the high 30's.
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Rustfree,

Minus the price situation, and you had a chance to see the car in person...what are your overall impressions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

I thought it was beautiful. I'm not an expert by any means. Just a love for all things VW, especially beetles.

If it was around mid/high 20s I would have ran to the bank and taken it home as is. I doubt they replaced all the fuel, brake lines and all the other rubber that is no doubt perished.

It may have started, but until all the rubber and brake lines are replaced (probably throttle/clutch cables too) I wouldn't feel safe driving a car that old.

Also, I would want a compression check. Sitting that long if the cylinders weren't fogged or protected in some way I can imaging there was some corrosion going on in there.

Now that I have 2 beetles now I'm looking for a bus. Smile But a split window beetle is even more of a white whale these days!
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 Split Locally for Sale.. so tempting! Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, nothing like seeing a car in person. I think if this was truly in the family it has benifted its condition. Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: