Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Install/Dash Install
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

OK, I know I read it here somewhere, and I've been searching before I started a a new thread, but I just can't keep clicking and clicking, so I'm hoping who ever actually did it, will see this.

I'm going to get the dash installed today on the SB, and my buddy is coming over next weekend to do all the windows for me.

I know I've read that the ISP rubbers may leak or have a little trouble seating in the corners.

Someone had a tip on here for putting some kind of silicone or Urethane in the window rubber when they installed it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about can you post a link or any expert advice on this windshield install?

How about the dash install? I have the flimsy rubber repop. My thought was to first install something behind the speaker grill rubber so that it stayed nice and flat and the ribs didn't get wavy, which looks like poop to me. Then lay it out on the dash, install the grab handle to help hold it in place, install the little screws into the front of the dash, and or install the gauges to make sure the pad is sitting where it needs to be, and then move onto getting it held down at the windshield, whatever that may take.

Thanks again.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

You might want to talk to Tram (send him a P-mail) about adding something to help the ISP seal, seal.
If you're using the repop dash pad with the molded in speaker grill, you'll need to warm it up before installing it. It needs some sort of "J" channel to hold the front in place. If you just try to screw it in place, it'll just pull the material over/out of the screws. That's what I used on my 65 Notch (OE strip from a 71). On my wife's 70 Fastback, I used the OE strips, but tweeked them to hold the pad edge in place. You'd have to install it, to try and get it to fit good. The more you adjust it, the better it can fit. Take your time with it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

So far my thoughts in this Repop dash are P.O.S., the fit is just OK at best, but if you try and pull and adjust, it rips the fricken screw holes out in the front of the dash under the trim! Its gonna work out but definitely won't fit and look perfect that's for sure.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

Here is good thread covering windshield install. I used a ISP seal and it has to be re-done. Corners are tough to keep seated, and I've read some posts where flowable silicone is suggested to seal the glass to the seal. It's available at Autozone.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=80
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

Thank you, that's the one I was looking for.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install/Dash Install Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Here is good thread covering windshield install. I used a ISP seal and it has to be re-done. Corners are tough to keep seated, and I've read some posts where flowable silicone is suggested to seal the glass to the seal. It's available at Autozone.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=80

Yes, I followed Tram's suggestion of using Permatex Flowable Silicone at the lower corners, applied from the outside, between the glass and the seal. The ISP seal has a groove which is a little too wide for the thickness of the glass, and water gets in that way if you don't use something. At least that's the way it was a couple of years ago; I don't know if they've changed the seal since then.

The seal fit the car just fine. I've had no trouble with it staying seated, and the trim was no problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: