Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I posted a fair while ago about my daughters bug "Hugo" and you were all very helpful ****THANK YOU*****

So an update.....I got the car through our MOT test (roadworthy test) and we have been using him over summer with ongoing work, problems and adjustments. I finally got the car running well and new brakes and tires. My daughter has been gaining confidence in driving him after not driving much since passing her test.
Unfortunately my business has gone pop and I'm close to filing for bankruptcy and very stressed at the moment and trying to find a new job. Now the Beetle won't run properly from cold (UK cold), he fires ok first time but you have to catch the fire on the throttle and it immediately starts to misfire. The idle is too slow and lumpy to trust not to stall so when i drive him i cover the throttle and break with the handbrake. If he stalls he won't restart for 30 minutes. If you hold the revs quite high for 2 mins the misfire smooths out and within a mile he runs ok. Once warmed up the car runs great. It's not so great at restarting after filling up but if you catch the revs its ok. I have replaced the needle valve with a brand new one but it still weeps fuel from the spindle after switching off from hot.
I have checked the auto choke and the flap appears to be opening and warming up ok. It's like the carb is over fuelling when cold, sort of flooding it's self. I don't have time to start removing the carb and rebuilding it again and really have greater things to worry about than the bug but I feel guilty that Ellie can't confidently take the car to work in the morning. She might have to sell him and get a modern car but after all the work its a real shame. Can anyone give any simple checks or advice?

Thanks again
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Is the choke heater wired up to coil positive terminal #15 ?

When cold, take off air cleaner and look at choke butterfly; should be essentially horizontal. Replace air cleaner.

When warmed up, take off air cleaner and look at choke butterfly; should be essentially vertical.

Post your findings.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Before I say yes, I will double check the wire for sure but I know the principal operation of the flap from years of other solex/zenith carburettor vehicles. With everything that's going on I could have overlooked something so I will check when I get home this evening. Thank you
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Hugo can you give us a bit of a recap on what's been done to alleviate this problem so far? I remember you changing the carb float out because the first one was damaged. With weeping fuel out of the carb spindle (I assume you mean the throttle shaft) it sounds like the carb needs a rebushing. This would not explain the overfilling of the fuel bowl though- IF that's what's happening there are 3 possible causes- needle valve still bad or wrong gaskets underneath, float inside carb still damaged or leaking causing it to sink into the fuel and not rise up to shut off the needle valve, or fuel pump pumping WAY too much pressure. Since you've already replaced the float (I assume--can't remember) I have a feeling we need to measure the output pressure of your fuel pump, which you would need a pressure gauge for. Anything around 3psi should be pretty much OK. Much higher than that and the needle valve may not restrict the fuel from still coming into the carb.
I looked through your gallery pics and can only find one picture of the engine not very close up- can you possibly take a few closeup photos of the engine bay, maybe we can spot something off. Especially the carb, fuel pump area.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

I will take some more photos tomorrow and post.

So far I've.........
Replaced the fuel pipes front to back,
Rebuilt the carb with the kit
Replaced the float (incidentally the float is exactly the same as is fitted to the solex carbed Opel Manta! I had lots in the garage).
Replaced the needle valve with a new one.
Points, condenser replaced.
Plugs checked and re-gapped
Timing set statically and fine tuned with a gun.
Valve clearances done and rechecked.
Lots of swearing, banged my head.
Changed the oil.

Car runs great when warmed up, idle is spot on, doesn't stall at lights anymore. Runs like *hit for first 3-4 minutes!

Oh and when it starts in a morning it blows a big puff of white/light grey smoke out, doesn't smoke when warmed up.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Choke pull off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Choke pull off?

I agree it definitely sound like something with the choke. But Hugo you said you've checked the choke already and confirmed it is almost completely shut when engine is cold and completely vertical when engine is warmed up, can you verify that the fast idle screw is on the uppermost step of the stepped cam on the side of the carb when the engine is cold and the choke butterfly is almost if not completely closing off the carb opening?

HugoBug wrote:

Oh and when it starts in a morning it blows a big puff of white/light grey smoke out, doesn't smoke when warmed up.

Mine does this exact same thing. I've been told it's normal and not to worry about it.

1600 SP engine
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

What is Choke pull off?

I just got home from work and rescued her abandoned bug from half way down the road where Ellie left him ((incidentally Hugo is the car, after his licence plate, I'm James)).
He started for me but ran shocking, sounds like three cylinders. Drove him 300 feet and he was putting like a kitten! I took a video, don't know if I can upload it direct to here?
Anyway, the fast idle screw is on the upper most position and the flap in the upper body is completely closed. The wire to the auto choke is running to the same point the idle solenoid is connected on the coil. I will take more photos in the light.
My gut instinct says the float is overflowing or the carb fuel bowl thing is leaking its fuel down into the manifold over night and flooding one cylinder with excess fuel. That means the car can only initially run on 3 cylinders until the wet plug dries after a minute or 2. Once the 4th cylinder kicks in then the car runs fine? Is that possible?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Have you attempted to adjust your automatic choke? Have you used a test lamp to see if juice is flowing to the wire on the choke?

When you replaced the float, did you make sure the convex part of the bow was toward the cabin?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you attempted to adjust your automatic choke? Have you used a test lamp to see if juice is flowing to the wire on the choke?

When you replaced the float, did you make sure the convex part of the bow was toward the cabin?

Tim

Hi Tim, no I haven't put a test lamp on so I will try it tomorrow, I assumed that as the solenoid works properly and the wire is on the same spade connector point that the current is there. I will make sure. I did set the choke up within the markers and adjusted it so the spring isn't over tight and likewise not allowing the butterfly to flutter loose.
Yes absolutely got the float curved plastic right, this was advised and checked when I posted a few months ago on here.
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Two pics from tonight. Will take more in the light
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of your entire engine? I'm curious as to what's hooked up for the engine's preheat. Does this engine have the thermostat and flaps in the fan shroud? How about the stove pipe and warm air hose to the oil bath?

Which distributor and how's it timed? Last question. What's the float level set to inside the carb?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you post a picture of your entire engine? I'm curious as to what's hooked up for the engine's preheat. Does this engine have the thermostat and flaps in the fan shroud? How about the stove pipe and warm air hose to the oil bath?

Which distributor and how's it timed? Last question. What's the float level set to inside the carb?

Erm sorry Bill but I have no idea about any of your questions apart from it is a 009 distributor and it was timed by following various online guides. I read loads and I used the guide specific to the 009 distributor using a strobe light (i will find the article and link it later). Both the timing at idle and at a certain thousand RPM (forget now) were as they recommended.
I will post more pics and daylight video tomorrow.
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

This was taken tonight, sorry the light is poor but this is after revving the car for 2 minutes to clear the initial misfire. The problem is in that first few minutes.
https://youtu.be/7fp_kblF6CU
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is an obstruction somewhere in the fuel lines or filter.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

where is your air cleaner? I don't see it in any pics

Never mind I see it now in the video Very Happy

1600 SP engine
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

HugoBug wrote:
Quote:

Erm sorry Bill but I have no idea about any of your questions apart from it is a 009 distributor and it was timed by following various online guides. I read loads and I used the guide specific to the 009 distributor using a strobe light (i will find the article and link it later). Both the timing at idle and at a certain thousand RPM (forget now) were as they recommended.
I will post more pics and daylight video tomorrow.

Ok, I saw in your video that you appear to have the air filter preheat hose hooked up to the air filter. It provides warm air to the carb while the engine warms up. It sounds like your choke isn't working or isn't adjusted right. The only thing I don't get is why it would take 30 minutes to restart if it stumbles and dies initially? Are you accidently flooding the motor? Can you expand on that?

When the bug was new, the engine had a thermostat and flaps in the engine. The cooling flaps are inside the fan shroud and are hooked up to the thermostat. The flaps block a majority of the fan's cooling air that blows over the cylinder heads and piston cylinders. This helps the engine warm up faster which heats up the carb intake manifold. The warm carb intake manifold helps keep the fuel atomized while going down those long manifold pipes to the heads. Once the engine starts to reach operating temperature, the thermostat expands and pushes a rod up that open the flaps that then allow the cooling air through the flaps to cool the heads and piston cylinders.

Now, the electric choke starts to open after the engine starts. It takes say a minute or two for it to reach the full open position. For the choke to work correctly, the flaps and thermostat need to be hooked up as they help the engine reach the correct temperature the fastest. So, the thermostat and choke work together in "kind of" a timed sequence.

There's a LOT OF posts about poor running engines with single carbs when the engine is cold at the beginning of winter each year. This always leads to the argument of reinstalling thermostats and flaps. It important to make sure your carb preheat riser tubes are clear of carbon so the hot exhaust gases can warm the carb manifold up. You need to check this on your engine.

These engines were designed to turn the key, start the engine and immediately drive off w/out warming them up sitting in the driveway. I've experienced VW's with clogged intake manifold heat risers and missing thermostat and flaps. These engines run like crap while they are cold for the first couple of minutes. Once I reinstalled all these parts I've described, the engines start right up, idle perfectly while doing so and they have great cold weather drivability.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, I saw in your video that you appear to have the air filter preheat hose hooked up to the air filter. It provides warm air to the carb while the engine warms up. It sounds like your choke isn't working or isn't adjusted right. The only thing I don't get is why it would take 30 minutes to restart if it stumbles and dies initially? Are you accidently flooding the motor? Can you expand on that?

Thanks for the info Bill but just to answer this part. I questioned earlier, it seems like the engine IS flooded by the overnight percolation of the float chambers fuel into the manifold and engine. Therefore if the car doesn't fire, or Ellie doesn't catch the start up and hold the revs to burn the fuel off then the engine swamps and dies. Then yes, the engine is flooded and constant attempts to start it make it worse. left for 30 mins I can usually get him going but with big grey smoke for 10 seconds. It wont idle and we cant drive straight off because its only running on 3 cylinders and we live on a hill. A 19 year old girl trying to set off down hill keeping the revs up whilst controlling her speed with the handbrake is not good.
I will take a video this morning and show the engine at cold start.
Thanks for the other information, I will have to investigate when I can but I have no time to start dismantling things with my current life disaster going on Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Your symptoms point to a bad float level.

Did you do this like suggested last August 06? You seem to have ignored the recommendations to set float level, which will give you nothing but problems - like flooding or starving u for fuel at sustained higher revs.

You should try a 1.5mm washer under the needle valve to set the appropriate fuel level for your carb. Then to make sure all is ok and nothing is bent or so, run the motor and then shut it off, check to see how far the fuel is down from the top of the open float bowl rim in mm and post back. This will finally put an end to the float issue.

Incidentally, when I was 19, I had the EXACT same problem as this, also lived on a hill and had to use the handbreak and throttle as described so I know it is no fun. Could be just one little 1.5mm washer and Ellie is off safely.

Volks Wagen wrote:
You may have fixed the leak with the washers OR the valve cleaning. Depending on the carb base flange number, u need 1mm washer or 1.5mm. 1 mm leaked, 1.8mm didn't leak. 1.5mm is probably what you need. Try 1.5mm then you have the right fuel level - only then should you try to tune the carb.

The level of fuel in the bowl is important because it sets the level of fuel in the tubes going into the carb throat. When the air rushes down the throat it pulls the fuel out of the tube. If the fuel level is too low it will be harder to pull the right amount out (Venturi effect). 1.8mm washer makes the fuel level low.

HugoBug wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
HugoBug wrote:
. . . the carb seems to certainly be rare and not very popular.

Your carburetor is probably about as rare as your 1300cc dual-port engine! Both are quite uncommon on this side of the pond!

Check the needle/seat for debris or defects.
Reinstall it with two washers.
With the top off of the carburetor, apply a small amount of air pressure (just a few p.s.i.) via the fuel line inlet in order to test the needle/seat . . . it should flow until you press on the needle.
If good, reassemble, start the engine, and check again for fuel leaking after you stop the engine. Free . . . no money!

THE LEAK HAS GONE!!! I removed the top again, removed the needle valve, cleaned it, kissed it and had a heart to heart with it. Replaced the washer with two washers that measure 1.8mm together and reinstalled.
I changed the oil and took it for a drive. Sadly it's still stalling at junctions but it no longer leaked and fires up immediately even after 10 minutes.
The carb doesn't want to adjust much so I think there may be an air leak or my settings are not 100% and there is a little backfire after idling for 5 mins and then revving. It does idle but its just a little low on RPM.
There's a local man who charges £80 ($100) to come to the house and do a tune up. So I am contemplating letting him look at it. Just neeeeeed to get her (daughter) mobile and to have confidence in the Bug.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
HugoBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Running rough when cold... any simple help appreciated. Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you do this like suggested last August 06? You seem to have ignored the recommendations to set float level, which will give you nothing but problems - like flooding or starving u for fuel at sustained higher revs.

You should try a 1.5mm washer under the needle valve to set the appropriate fuel level for your carb. Then to make sure all is ok and nothing is bent or so, run the motor and then shut it off, check to see how far the fuel is down from the top of the open float bowl rim in mm and post back. This will finally put an end to the float issue.

Sorry, yes I did add a 1.5mm washer and it stopped the weep of fuel from the spindle for a short while but it came back during the hotter weather so I bought a new needle valve but have to admit I only used the new washer as it looked (didn't measure) thicker. No you are right, I didn't measure the float level so I WILL do that and report back. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: