Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

It will be 2 years come November that I've been on the Vanagon maintenance ride. Recently I have had to repair the repair that a mechanic had done when I took the vanagon in for an appraisal. It just so happened that as I pulled into the mechanic's parking lot the large diameter steel pipe for the cooling system that runs about the exhaust manifold on the left side of the engine sprung a leak. When the mechanic checked it his finger went through the pipe. Approximately $750 later I got the vanagon back.

You might wonder why this is relevant. But it is. The mechanic claimed that the pipe was no longer available so he used one that was similar and that required the heat shield(?) to be modified so it would fit. This pipe cost $173. After almost 2 years and about 10K miles I removed the pipe after seeing this rust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is the same place that the previous pipe rusted out after 10 years. It wasn't leaking yet but I wasn't taking any chances. The new rusty pipe sat about 0.5 inches above the exhaust manifold. I suspect that contributed to the quick rust formation. I replaced it with a stainless steel pipe, for $135, that sits about 1.5 inches above the manifold. I suspect that I have a different supplier than the mechanic was using.

Now about that soldering iron.

Since I had to drain the system to replace the pipe I decided to tackle a suspected bad thermostat. The vanagon temperature never seemed to get to the mid-range of the dial and it didn't warm up last winter until I blocked the lower radiator opening. To me this seemed to say thermostat. Now on my vanagon, sourced from Wisconsin, land of salt, the heads of the bolts on the top of the thermostat housing looked more like rivets so I decided that I would just replace the entire housing. So there I was merrily taking hoses off thinking "Oh, this should be easy, just two bolts." I even told the spouse, "Yah, it'll be just a couple of hours, tops." Someday I might learn. Slid under the vanagon, put the wrench to the top cap screw, applied a little pressure and there was a little bit of resistance and then no resistance. The cap screw head was stripped. So then I lay there under the vanagon looking up at that little cap screw thinking "Oh, crud. This is gonna take a bit more than 2 hours."

Fortunately the lower cap screw came out easily with an impact wrench. Unfortunate there was not enough room around the top cap screw to apply enough force to the head with a vise grips. So while trying to think of a tool that might help get it out, the crazy mechanic that lives in the dark, oily, part of my head says "It's only plastic, it doesn't have to survive coming out, maybe the side angle grinder will fit?" Nope, not without taking more engine bits off. So CM thinks "Maybe it will melt?" Yup, it does melt. All it takes is a 40 watt soldering pencil with a chisel tip. And a bit of time. Hopefully the fumes weren't too toxic...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turns out that the top cap screw was rusted to the bushing and the head. Once I got the thermostat housing out of the way there was just enough room to get a 8 inch vise grip on the head of the cap screw. Took awhile to get it out since I only had about 30 degrees of rotation every time I placed the vise grips. I cleaned the threads of both holes with a tap and used new cap screws with anti-seize. Completed the hookup with a new housing, new thermostat, new sensors, filled the cooling system, and went for a test drive. The temperature gauge holds steady with the needle over the LED regardless of traffic flow so I'm happy.

The actual time was more like 6 hours spread over 2 days. Some days it just doesn't pay to estimate these things. Smile
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

I didn't even read the whole post but what I can glean from the lines I read was that you have been spooked by the works of volks past.

I can empathize with you. These damn vans have swooped in and consumed years of my life in 3-5 hour increments and I'm not done yet.

I hope u get a ton of joy from that rig. I look forward to hearing more from u
Happy wrenching

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

It may be time to do a preemptive strike, park the Van and update the cooling system completely before a decaying part strands you along the highway.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

the pipes should not rust out if the antifreeze is regularly renewed every year or two. preventative maintanence can pay off big time in the long run.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the pipes should not rust out if the antifreeze is regularly renewed every year or two. preventative maintanence can pay off big time in the long run.

good luck

Not exactly true......... ^^^^

I guess you've little experience with vehicles from the "Rust Belt" States.

Any chip or flaw in the exterior of a painted/finished ferrous steel item and rust mives in immediately and once it, it is encouraged by the Winter De-icers and in short order, there you have it! A hole......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

Not exactly true......... ^^^^

I guess you've little experience with vehicles from the "Rust Belt" States.

Any chip or flaw in the exterior of a painted/finished ferrous steel item and rust mives in immediately and once it, it is encouraged by the Winter De-icers and in short order, there you have it! A hole......

Dave

if the rust was from the outside, then proper rinsing and repair of paint chips or shileding to prevent chips will go a long way towards preventing rust thru. anyone with even a little expereince with salt contamination should know this. That is why the boat trailer gets rinsed after each use when we dip it in salt water.

preventative maintanence is key to long life.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tbd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

As was stated previously, the rusted pipe is less than 2 years old. The van hasn't been driven much in the winter, since we bought it, and was washed after those times. Unless the mechanic put old antifreeze in the system the antifreeze was also less than 2 years old.

I suspect that the pipe rusted out due to the close proximity to the exhaust manifold. It couldn't take the additional heat. The replacement pipe sits about 3 times the distance from the exhaust manifold.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

The position of the pipe from the exhaust has zero to do with the metal fatigue--corrosion.

It's the winter driving you did do & didn't run the van through a car wash that has an underbody wash feature.

There was just a thread not too long ago--" should I drive the van if the winter with the salt on the road?"

Here's your answer--plus other items under the van.

And this isn't the only coolant pipes that have rotted away by driving it in the winter--the early vans all did it.

Nothing new & exciting--
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

tbd wrote:
As was stated previously, the rusted pipe is less than 2 years old. The van hasn't been driven much in the winter, since we bought it, and was washed after those times. Unless the mechanic put old antifreeze in the system the antifreeze was also less than 2 years old.

I suspect that the pipe rusted out due to the close proximity to the exhaust manifold. It couldn't take the additional heat. The replacement pipe sits about 3 times the distance from the exhaust manifold.

if heat from the exhaust manifold did in this pipe, what did it do to the exhaust manifold????

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing the cooling system with a soldering iron Reply with quote

tbd wrote:

The pipe is full of coolant in normal use so the exhaust wouldn't heat it that hot if you had a hole in the exhaust blow straight at it.

Buy some SS pipes or Terry's aluminium pipes and seldom if ever have to worry with the pipes again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: