Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cut out headlight bucket?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of 1966 front fenders that someone cut the headlight housing (bucket?) out of. The lip is still on the outside of the fender.

Are replacement pieces available? Can I simply install a headlight assembly and not drive through puddles?? Very Happy

Just curious about what options are available.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

The buckets were probably cut for an extremely lowered bug ; which means they were probably driven that way for a long time in and out of puddles ; spray some paint/sealer on all the wires .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Two more options:

1: Shop The Samba, CL, or swap meets, for some otherwise beat up fenders, then cut the buckets off and weld them to those sweet German fenders you bought;

2: At a crazy $200 bucks each, buy some new fenders (crappy Italian, I believe) and cut those buckets off.

For sure, if your '66 fenders are clean, they're worth saving (needless to say), whether you return them to original is your choice. I think you could tack weld them in 10 or 12 places, then just seal the joints with body sealer/caulk.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Shop The Samba, CL, or swap meets, for some otherwise beat up fenders, then cut the buckets off and weld them to those sweet German fenders you bought;

Thanks for the replies. I had thought of this and will keep an eye out. I also figured I could fab up some sort of crude bucket/deflector and weld it over the back of the lights.

Possibly a molded fiberglass "tub" would suffice, assuming I can get it to stick to the steel.

Mostly I was concerned about water and protection for the wires. I'm somewhat surprised that reproduction pieces aren't readily available.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Headlight buckets are available at Stoddard Porsche, part # NLA-631-151-10. But cheaper to salvage some from swap meet fenders.
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

I removed one of my buckets a while back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

was a 50's fender which was held in with four small welds and was a tight fit.
I ground the welds down with a dremmel and knocked the bucket out, as yours have already been butchered, it should be pretty easy remove.
I'd replace with proper buckets as suggested above or new fenders.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

So I sourced a couple of buckets and welded them in. One of them moved a bit, so I just want to see if it's a problem. I'm not sure how critical the exact fit is because I don't have headlights yet. Will this small gap matter?

I'm pretty sure it's fine, but it'd be much easier to fix now if needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

The small gap should preferably be the right height and even all around if you plan to fit a headlight-to-fender seal. The position of the tab at the top of the bucket will determine how much the headlight assembly will slightly compress the seal nearby. If omitting the seal, the fit may be slightly loose but acceptable.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Huh? Omitting the seal is acceptable? No sir.
If you intend to paint that fender a color and not have the headlight shake and rub a halo all around that hole- all the while causing the headlight to lose aim and shake it's internals loose- then indeed that seal is necessary.
It's metal to metal contact between two independently shaking pieces. Every part of a VW's body has similar isolation from wear and vibration damage.

I partially agree in this regard- the unevenness of the rim to fender gap. The most important part is that the rim is a perfectly flat plane. You must be able to place a flat plate of something on the rim and see no gapping- no potato chip wave to it. Otherwise the chrome ring (and the rest of the assembly) will fight you when tightening to the fender.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to take the time to make it as uniform as possible now to avoid troubles later.

What's a little more grinding and welding in the grand scheme of things right? Very Happy
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Unless someone has the gap spec, I would suggest trying to scrounge up a headlight bucket and seal to make sure you have the gap right. Too many times I have guessed at something, done a lot of finish work only to have to take it all back apart, finish the mistake and redo all the work. Patience isn't a virtue for me, so I can relate.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Here's the thing though. I don't recall seeing any gap at all when i cut the remnants of the old buckets out. Not only that, i have a hard time believing that some guy was measuring gaps when these fenders were made. I feel that if a gap was necessary, the Germans would have devised a way to quickly stuff the buckets in while maintaining it, such as little nubs to keep them from bottoming out.

It's my opinion (and just an opinion) that the lips ARE the placement set point. They just pushed the buckets in till they bottomed out and tacked them.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

I don't have any fenders laying around with empty buckets, but looking at all the classifieds the gap looks pretty uniform. You could be right about the bump out being the guide. Looks like it would be about right.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
If you intend to paint that fender a color and not have the headlight shake and rub a halo all around that hole- all the while causing the headlight to lose aim and shake it's internals loose- then indeed that seal is necessary.
It's metal to metal contact between two independently shaking pieces. Every part of a VW's body has similar isolation from wear and vibration damage.

The choice is Jimdub's whether or not a seal will be used. I've run headlights without the seals and they were snug. No vibration, no problems. The tab at the top, the mounting screw at the bottom, and the raised rim all around can provide an acceptable fit......just as they did before VW introduced the seal in Jan 1950.

There may have been a jig which ensured that the seal-type buckets were installed to the right depth. Who knows, there may have been variations on the design, (especially on aftermarket fenders) but the seals that I've used have a flange which fits perfectly into that little gap.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut out headlight bucket? Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
hitest wrote:

The choice is Jimdub's whether or not a seal will be used. I've run headlights without the seals and they were snug. No vibration, no problems. The tab at the top, the mounting screw at the bottom, and the raised rim all around can provide an acceptable fit......just as they did before VW introduced the seal in Jan 1950.

You hinted at the reason for the seal in your response: Progressive Refinements.
VW added the seal for a reason. Metal to metal contact thusly eliminated in Jan 1950. Cool

I do agree- they can be snug without, but only with perfect fender openings and straight, good quality chrome rings. I'm not sure the OP has these.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: