Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver seat problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GmanID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

We are finally putting things back together after six months of work. We installed the drivers seat and we are unable to get it to side back as far as we thought it goes. It appears to stop about 5 inches from the back. It slides then hits like a road block.

Ideas?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

It would be helpful to know the year of your bus, but one thing to look for is a tab or other locking mechanism (they varied from year to year). Just take a real careful look to find out what is hitting what and you will find the cause.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GmanID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

Sorry it's a 1976. The seat slides but due to the carpet I can't quite see what is stopping it.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

I had the problem too. One of the tabs on the seat rail got bent down when I was working on it with the seat out.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

GmanID wrote:
Sorry it's a 1976. The seat slides but due to the carpet I can't quite see what is stopping it.

So, funny thing... the seats are different in early and late 1976 -- VW made a significant change to the mounting mechanism mid-year. A photograph will help us to identify it, or you can go to tcash's front seat ID thread to identify it. Different seat designs have different types of latching/locking mechanisms.

But -- can you remove the carpet so that you can see what is going on? If so, do that.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GmanID
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Now we have it nice and stuck and can't move it either way. LOL Guess we will live with it. Being a not so thin person I was hoping to no be hugging the steering wheel when driving it.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

Take the plastic pieces off the side of the seats, then tap it with a sludge hammer. Make sure the metal rod is out of the channel.
Easiest way I found doing it by myself is to remove the springs, to relieve the tension. If you have two people one could just hold up the lever, why the other taps with sludge.

You might need to pri up the bar with a flat head if its gumed up.

I've had to sludge tap every front seat I've ever removed from a vw bus.
Also helps to shoot a bunch of liquid wrench or equivalent along the rails.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

I believe the track has stopping tabs on it. Bend them up. I did it to my 77. Id go down and take a pic but dont feel good Sad

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat problem Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I believe the track has stopping tabs on it. Bend them up. I did it to my 77. Id go down and take a pic but dont feel good Sad

Get well soon
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: