Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil cooler advice needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

I have a 65 bug and discovered a good amount of oil streaming from the top side left of the engine coming from the area of the oil cooler. I read back threads on wether it's possible to change it out/fix it/put in new seals while engine is still in car or just remove engine. I live in western Pa so my mechanic possibilities don't really exist. At least one I've found

So to my question, I have never removed a VW engine so would you recommend trying to fix while in car or removing engine? It's a stock numbers matching 4/65 engine.

Thx
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Single port or dual port engine?
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Single port
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Its kind of a toss up, the engine does comeout very easy, but ive done it many times, first time will be a learning experience.

to remove the fan house with engine in the car, I removed the deck lid and hinge mounts as I recall, be very careful you dont scratch the paint! then off with carb, loossen generator. You will also need to disconnect the thermostat bellows from the vanes else the shroud wont come off. I cant remember if the intake manifold needs to come off or not but you could leave the generator attached to shroud too, it just is more awkward with it attached
this was a non dog house engine.

If you pull the motor, you can inspect the clutch at the same time.

not knowing if the cooler or seals are bad, it would be wise to have the cooler leak tested before reinstall, hate to have the seals replaced, put it all together and find it was a leaky cooler. yikes, do the job twice!

also disconnect battery before removing the generator wires!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Have a new one here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1893372
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Hi. The job of removing the dog house fan shroud when the engine is still in the car sucks. You kinda fight getting the tin pieces all aligned up with the shroud. the job is compounded if you also have the flaps/thermostat assy.
On the early '70 and prior it is much easier. You will be removing the deck lid and hinges.
One nice thing about doing this job with the motor in the car is you can reassemble everything w/out the shroud, start it up for a brief time to check your work.
Bill.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

creideahm wrote:
I have a 65 bug and discovered a good amount of oil streaming from the top side left of the engine coming from the area of the oil cooler. I read back threads on whether it's possible to change it out/fix it/put in new seals while engine is still in car or just remove engine.

So to my question, I have never removed a VW engine so would you recommend trying to fix while in car or removing engine? It's a stock numbers matching 4/65 engine.

Hmmmm.....I typically recommend that someone who has never replaced oil cooler seals should try first on an engine that has been removed.

I read that you've never pulled a VW engine. I honestly think that ALL VW owners need to be able to pull the engine - mainly because we're all pretty much forced to be our own mechanics, most local shops won't touch them.

That said: if you disconnect battery, mark and then pull the engine lid, remove carb, remove wires, accelerator cable, etc., you will be able to remove generator strap and fan shroud attachments (and thermostat, if you have that) and be able to lift/wiggle the fan shroud off. If I remember correctly - it's been about 20 years or more - you'll need to remove the intake manifold and left cylinder shroud. Then you'll just need 10mm box wrench to remove the oil cooler, but you might want a stubby one, or cut on shorter with a hacksaw. I'd likely remove the intake manifold and cylinder shroud
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

All great advice guys. Although I have Muir's book, I guess I'm just afraid I'll get into it and find out I'm dumber then I already think I am.

I'm going to read everything here and Muirs book and try to figure out if I can do either option.

Thanks guys
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Western PA or Los Alamitos? If western PA, contact local VW club; bribe someone for help with Primanti Bros. Next weekend is Bye Week for the Steelers, so best timing then.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Lol. Moved to Pa from Los Alamitos. If I was back in Ca lots of help. But here, I'm lost. Good advice on the bye week Dancing Dancing
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Muir's book will get you through. As he implies early in the volume, "Don't think about what you are doing, just follow the instructions." I've owned and have been working on these cars for nearly forty years and I still use Muir's book to refresh my memory. I do my own work because I'm too cheap to pay someone 50 bucks an hour to learn how my car works and with no guarantee that they will do it right.
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm over 50 and I guess it's time to put on my big boy pants and give it a go
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

creideahm wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm over 50 and I guess it's time to put on my big boy pants and give it a go

Y'aint the only one here over 50......
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

And obviously not the only Steeler fan Laughing
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Me, I am older than most of my VWs.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

creideahm wrote:
And obviously not the only Steeler fan Laughing

I was born in the city, got a Pirate hat the day I was born (Terrible Towels had not yet been invented). I did get to one World series game, game 7 in 1960, maybe you've heard of that game.....still have my ticket, signed by Mazeroski and Haddix.
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Good story. I was able to get a private tour of the Clemente museum in Lawrenceville. Lots of really cool items there including A bat used by Honus Wagner. If you or anyone gets the chance the museum was an old firehouse turned into a museum. It's a must see including the basement where Derek Jeter keeps a private barrel of his own wine.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Where in western PA are you? I am in Erie and would be willing to help if youre an upper. (Yinz jagoffs from Pixburgh know what I mean by an upper) Seriously though if you're local I could give you a hand. If youre around Pittsburgh check out the Fresh Air club lots of those guys around. If youre from Uniontown I am sorry to hear that.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

creideahm wrote:
Good story. I was able to get a private tour of the Clemente museum in Lawrenceville. Lots of really cool items there.

I was back in 2013, stayed at hotel right off the point. We walked across Ft. Pitt Bridge, took Duquesne Incline up to to of Mt. Washington, ate on the patio overlooking the city (million dollar experience); also walked across the Clemente bridge to PNC, saw 5-game series where Pirates overtook Cardinals to go into 1st place. we also rented bicycles and road up and down the bikepaths on all 3 rivers. Heinz museum downtown of western PA history and sports is a must-see. Also went to Kennywood as hadn't been there in over 40 years, same with Carnegie Museum. And saw my 3 old homes too.
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler advice needed Reply with quote

Upper? Can't wait to hear what that is! A whole new language here in Western Pa Very Happy

We live in Pleasant Hills. It's iff route 51 south of the city. In advice from this board I reached out to Cory from Air Cooled VWs and he's giving me some great leads. Thanks Cory! And looks like I'll be joining that group for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: