Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clogged heat riser question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Hi all,

A friend of mine noticed that the oil level is above the top mark of the dipstick.
1200 D motor, fuel pump and pressure are OK.
Carburetor adjustment and fuel level in the float chamber are OK.

Can a clogged heat riser (intake manifold) be the cause of gas in the oil?

Thanks

Last edited by Ovally on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Theoretically, I'd say it's possible. A clogged heat riser can lead to the fuel condensing as it passes down the intake to the cylinders, where the resulting overly rich mixture can wash the cylinder walls down and get past the rings. The effect would be quite similar to the choke sticking on.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Thanks, yes I also thought it was possible.
However, the engine runs well, the spark plugs look good and no freezing of the carburetor so far.
Maybe someone else had the same problem before I take the inlet manifold of the engine to clean it.

Regards.

Last edited by Ovally on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

In case you end up having to unclog your heat riser, here is my technique:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666181&highlight=

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Theoretically, I'd say it's possible. A clogged heat riser can lead to the fuel condensing as it passes down the intake to the cylinders, where the resulting overly rich mixture can wash the cylinder walls down and get past the rings. The effect would be quite similar to the choke sticking on.

if you got fuel in the oil, it should smell of gas.

sources of fuel could be a leaky fuel pump, or rich running. check them items if you got fuel in the oil.

my riaser was clogged for years, never had fuel in the oil.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Thanks, Thom for the link.

Meanwhile, we drove 25 km and checked if there was gasoline in the oil.
We took the oil dipstick several times out and with a lighter we don't see anything burn or crackle but I don't know if that's a reliable method to determine whether there is fuel in the oil or not.

Regards, Armand
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Ovally:

You're welcome. I've also heard that a fuel pump leaking from the bottom could dump fuel into the case...

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Thom : " I've also heard that a fuel pump leaking from the bottom could dump fuel into the case... "

Yes, I know but the fuel pump is not leaking.We took in off and all the grease is still there in the bottom of the pump.

Regards, Armand
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Bluebuss86 wrote : "my riaser was clogged for years, never had fuel in the oil."

So it is not possible that a clogged heat riser can be the cause of fuel in the oil.

Regards, Armand
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
Thanks, Thom for the link.

Meanwhile, we drove 25 km and checked if there was gasoline in the oil.
We took the oil dipstick several times out and with a lighter we don't see anything burn or crackle but I don't know if that's a reliable method to determine whether there is fuel in the oil or not.

Regards, Armand

the odor threshold for gasoline is low. do the smell test. the crackle test is a new one to me.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged heat riser question. Reply with quote

i bought a 58 bug that had a leaky float valve, it flooded the crank case with about a gallon of gasoline while the car sat unused. check the carb float valve, float level. also make sure you are not running realy rich.

good luck

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: