Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you hate having to buy the most?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

What is the one thing you absolutely hate buying (maintenance wise) for your vehicle that is NEEDED?

I have had cars in the past, that I was thinking of getting a new car to replace it. Never made that final push, UNTIL, it was time to get tires. That was my deciding factor Smile
Needing to buy tires for a vehicle makes me want to sell it and buy a new.
($500-$1,000 for tires vs $30,000 for a new car.) A no-brainer there. Rolling Eyes

Absolutely hate buying tires. Maybe it's the cost. I don't know. Just something about it. I have bought tires but cringe every time.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

I also hate buying tires.

Maybe it's because I NEVER get close to the so-called mileage claimed, even though I do check/adjust tire pressures regularly and correctly. Brand doesn't seem to matter, I've had Michelins, Nexxen, you name it. This goes for ALL our vehicles, including 3 "Japanese" trucks and a 2005 Yukon. Maybe it's the Arizona heat, heat of the black roadways in our 10-month summer (99F predicted here today).

Maybe it's because a certain price is claimed, but in reality with excise tax, sales tax, disposal fee, etc., it's always more.

Just last week I got 4 new 165/80-R15 tires as a step to get my 1970 VW roadworthy. Tires were $50 apiece, Nanking. $283 out the door, think they gave me balancing for free. I dropped off the old wheels which had tires with steel belts hanging out, picked up new next day.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

I hate re-buying tools that I know I have that were stolen or lent out

it is punishment I'm sure for never putting my dad's tools back when I was younger. I'm positive

I also hate buying tires. 285/45-22's to be exact. $300 a freaking tire for OEM
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Batteries. I know auto batteries can be found for reasonable prices, but try finding a motorcycle battery that doesn't cause sticker shock. My last one was $190 out the door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Tires, yes. And fuel hose. $5 per foot now, and I need 25 feet for my FI fastback. If they didn't f*&% up the gas, we wouldn't need that expensive hose. Let's see, my taxes subsidize the ethanol in it, and now I need to pay more for special hoses to handle the ethanol?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Tires, yes. And fuel hose. $5 per foot now, and I need 25 feet for my FI fastback. If they didn't f*&% up the gas, we wouldn't need that expensive hose. Let's see, my taxes subsidize the ethanol in it, and now I need to pay more for special hoses to handle the ethanol?

Your grocery bill went up too, since more corn is being sold to fuel companies instead of being used to feed cattle and people...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

I hate buying any part or piece that I'm not prepared for when I am in the middle of a job. I will waste time rummaging through piles of parts, bolts, etc. before I finally breakdown and travel out to get what I need. Costs me twice as much time based on my own stupidity.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Shit that don't fit! While I love that there's enough demand for parts for 50+ year old cars, why is it that they can't make the reproduction parts close enough to be used without hours of modification, if at all in some instances.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Jeeze, parts that wear out need replacing. I'm happy if I can get bits without paying shipping.

Maintenance costs? The cost of maintaining health insurance really pisses me off, especially when the company I work for gets a rebate because we don't get sick enough....it'll be used to pay forward for next year's vig, after the plan costs are raised....
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Gas! Evil or Very Mad

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Bolts, nuts & fasteners...seems a handful is at least $10 these days. I used to live close to a military surplus joint that sold by the pound, but I'm not near them anymore.

That's just one of the things I hate having to buy...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Fuel stabilizer, it means the season is over.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

What is this "season" thing you refer to?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

With you on that one - getting into that "putting the cars to bed" mode today. Not all off them. but I think the buggy is pretty much done for the year - and my 65 and the woodie are not far behind. Wife will drive her 61 until the first snow, though. And you folks in California can kiss our asses.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Yea, like Glenn said:

It snowed 4" here last night.

And I hate buying Snow tires, but like driving in the Snow... Confused d'oh!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wht do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I hate re-buying tools that I know I have that were stolen or lent out

it is punishment I'm sure for never putting my dad's tools back when I was younger. I'm positive

This^^^^ Confused

Also buying groceries, I guess it's more just going to the grocery store that I hate because of all the people. I guess I just hate people. I feel better now, Off to work and be around people. I also need to stop by the grocery store after work ACCCK!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

I don't like spending money at all. Does that count?

What really irked me most was having to spend money on tires right before a lease was up because the car had to pass inspection before its return. I should have planned ahead and found a set of much cheaper used tires, but I didn't plan ahead. =op

Insurance deductibles bug me, as well. If I'm gonna pay all that money for insurance, why should I have to lay out again for bodywork? (Yes, I know the answer is 'greed,' but it still bugs me.)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

It snowed 4" here last night.

We hit 100F yesterday in Phoenix, new record for latest in calendar year to hit 100F. We had record number of October days in the 90F range.

Snow in winter or 115F in summer - pick your poison.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What do you hate having to buy the most? Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
Bolts, nuts & fasteners..

jwp67 wrote:
I hate buying any part or piece that I'm not prepared for when I am in the middle of a job. I will waste time rummaging through piles of parts, bolts, etc. before I finally breakdown and travel out to get what I need. Costs me twice as much time based on my own stupidity.

Oh yeah, that's me. I've stripped enough cars over the years to have every nut, bolt, washer, clip, grommet & do-dad on an ACVW. I have cans, storage bins, & baggies of 'em.

But just let me need a specific one,,,,, Nowhere to be found! Rolling Eyes
I spent hours, (well, at least 1) searching for a felt strip clip when re-doing my doors. Eventually gave up, and Gorilla glued it in place. (We’ll see how that holds up.) Days later, while looking for something else, I ran across 4 of ‘em. Evil or Very Mad

That, and re-buying something because I can’t find the one I bought months ago. Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: