Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with engine questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
You cant really do much with the tank in the car. And this is a good time to go over the wiring anyway.

You're right, I knew it in my heart but, sometimes the truth hurts. I'll look for a link on the subject. Thanks
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Aluk, you are asking some good questions and getting good feedback. You are on your way.

Here is some more procedural advice:

Right now your car doesn't run. Its a better time to dive in on a few maintenance check/repair/refurb issues than once you get it rolling. Why? At this point, you don't have any expectations on how reliable the car is. That changes once you turn the key, and the repairs you do past that point may be more directed at "getting it back on the road" than doing it right.

Good clean fuel tank and lines and clean wiring is a good "upstream" task.. So are brakes, wheel cylinders and lines, both rubber and steel, esoicially if the car has sat even as little as a year
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Aluk, you are asking some good questions and getting good feedback. You are on your way.

Right now your car doesn't run. Its a better time to dive in on a few maintenance check/repair/refurb issues than once you get it rolling. Why? At this point, you don't have any expectations on how reliable the car is. That changes once you turn the key, and the repairs you do past that point may be more directed at "getting it back on the road" than doing it right.
Thank you, good advice and well taken. The fact is I can't do anything about the motor until I sell my road bike anyway. Brakes seem good and wiring is super clean. It has original '63 ceramic fuse set up. How much of a priority is that to upgrade? Part of me (a big part) says, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I I should take a look under the hood and make sure the gas tank is in good shape. Once I get that far into though I feel like I should commit to the idea that the 1200 engine(and everything 6 volt) is going away and replace necessary behind the dash items with 12 volt upgrades. Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Good clean fuel tank and lines and clean wiring is a good "upstream" task.. So are brakes, wheel cylinders and lines, both rubber and steel, esoicially if the car has sat even as little as a year
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

A lot of people will claim that you need modern fuses, but honestly, the original fuses have never been an issue for me in the about 40 years I have been around these cars. I use the original fuses in my buggy and it sits under a shed in humid and wet Louisiana all year.

Clean up and use dielecteic grease on the connections and spend your money and time on something that needs attention.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

[quote="wythac"]Aluk, you are asking some good questions and getting good feedback. You are on your wa

Good clean fuel tank and lines and clean wiring is a good "upstream" task.. So are brakes, wheel cylinders and lines, both rubber and steel, esoicially if the car has sat even as little as a year[/quote

Looks like a recent tank install.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Sure does. I'll I'd do is drain it and check the screen on the fuel tap fixture for FOD, and look around the tank thru the filler with a flashlight. Blow the line to the rear clean and I think you can check that box. Since buggies sometimes get left out in the elements the tend to gather more rust than a stock application.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

aluk wrote:
Thank you, good advice and well taken. The fact is I can't do anything about the motor until I sell my road bike anyway. Brakes seem good and wiring is super clean. It has original '63 ceramic fuse set up. How much of a priority is that to upgrade? Part of me (a big part) says, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I I should take a look under the hood and make sure the gas tank is in good shape. Once I get that far into though I feel like I should commit to the idea that the 1200 engine(and everything 6 volt) is going away and replace necessary behind the dash items with 12 volt upgrades. Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

I drive a Bug with a 36 horse engine, but for a buggy I wouldn't do it unless it was some sort of period piece (since your frame is later this isn't such a case.) They are expensive to convert to 12 volts because they can only run the small generator and 36 horsepower is a lot less than the 48 of the later stock engine. To get 48 horsepower out of it would cost a lot more than a later engine. Rebuilding is more expensive and time consuming. With an oval window block number the existing engine may well be sellable to recoup some of your costs. Vintage stock is big right now (about the only reason I haven't yanked the 36 horse out of my oval window.)

I would consider any later engine, even a 40 horse with a big bore kit, and conversion to 12 volts as being the way to go.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Finally scoured down to the transaxle serial number. 727607
EVfun wrote:
You will have some year of tunnel type transaxle, the older and weaker split case transaxle was no longer used on Bugs sold in the USA after 1960. That is a good start. With the later gear box the questions now are axle length (for wheel selection purposes) and gear ratios (these influence tire and motor selection.)

My Buggy is built on a '64 frame, with a 40 horse gear box that has '67 long axles. You often find a lot of part swapping in Buggies.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Am I correct that the first number (1 in this case) designates a type 1 engine and the next numbers are the actual serial number?
EVfun wrote:
Seeing that you have a May 1957 engine it might well be time to upgrade. They are hard to convert to 12 volts because you cannot remove the generator stand. Parts cost more for those motors and someone restoring an oval might be willing to pay you for a running 36 horse, even for an intact and freely turning 36 horse. You motor looks pretty complete. Almost nothing on that motor will have a place on a later engine.

I would figure out what year your frame is and what transaxle you have. If you have the early split case transaxle that may influence your decisions. They will take a stock late model engine, but they are not as strong as the later full syncro box.

A basic buggy is very light so you have to decide what will make you happy. It will perform well even with later 1200 40 horse engine. A stock 1600cc duel port engine is common and will perform nicely in a car that may weigh as little as 1200 lb. What cars do you like driving now? It will give you some idea of what power to weight ratio you enjoy.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Engine and transaxle numbers are sequential for the older stuff. You have a late '64 transaxle and a May '57 engine. You can look up end of month VIN, engine, and transaxle numbers under the "Technical" tab near the top of the page. Notice that it defaults to Bus, you have to click the type 1 tag.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

A dune buggy is so light and you aren't really interested in driving one over 70 mph I suspect. Take the engine apart - rebuild heads (clean, new exhaust valves) and valve grind job), hone cylinders and re-ring pistons, rebuild carb, replace old fuel lines and your into motor for maybe $100. Can split case and redo bearing but that adds $100. Run it till it blows.

Old VW parts are very well made and dependable compared to new CHINA junk.
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Ok, decision has been made. I'm going to ditch this 1200 36 hp and save my pennies for a 1600. In the meantime, let the 12 volt conversion begin...
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Sooooooo... the 36 hp. found a home with a guy putting a "57 oval back together. I've spent a few evenings this week carving out the inside of my 6 volt bell housing to get this rebuilt 1600 dual port fitted.In the process I mastered the art of engine removal and reinstallation (4 times).

Last edited by aluk on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

You will like the increase in power and torque. Makes the buggy even more fun.

Nice work.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Dang it... I should have put that guide tube in the fan shroud before final engine install... Oh well, live and learn. Next decision for me is exhaust. I am leaning toward some shiny dual cannons. I'm not to worried about any power loss, I like the looks. But I also like Tri mil's bob tail with a quiet pack or a glass pack. I'm not sure how far they will hang off the back. I saw a forum on here somewhere that had the measurements.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

If you are keeping the center mount carb, you should REALLY look for an exhaust that will work with your preheat tubes....Just sayin...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If you are keeping the center mount carb, you should REALLY look for an exhaust that will work with your preheat tubes....Just sayin...

That is the plan.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:

Are there center mount carbs that are better or worse choices without heat (or partial heat from being connected at each exhaust port)? I ask because my 36 horse seems pretty happy with a pretty weak heat riser, even in cool damp weather when I wouldn't consider driving the buggy. It doesn't even have warm air for the air filter. On the other extreme, I've driven stock 40 horse Bugs where a working heat riser wasn't enough -- carb icing was an issue until I had both filter preheat AND a working heat riser. So... what are better and worse carbs and manifolds when preheat is less than perfect? Most stock German intakes are less than perfect and most buggies lack carb intake air preheat!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

That I dont know - when we first got our buggy quite a few years ago it had an H30/31 and later a 34 PICT before switching to dual Kads. Since it was our first I didnt know about the heat risers (did have any) and the car seemed to run OK, but also didnt know any better back then... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with engine questions Reply with quote

Is it wrong for me to want these seats with this upholstry for my yellow buggy, don’t laugh.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: