Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

9 scariest cars to drive
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Kinda funny.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/9-scariest-cars-to-drive/ss-AAjufJm?li=BBnb7Kz#image=6

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

They missed this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An engine that displaced 28.5 liters, or almost 2 gallons per cylinder, chain drive, and skinny tires. Let's not even think about the steering or braking effort required...

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

the Robin... one of my favourite Top Gear episode...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
They missed this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An engine that displaced 28.5 liters, or almost 2 gallons per cylinder, chain drive, and skinny tires. Let's not even think about the steering or braking effort required...

I don't know if it would be scarier to drive or to hand crank start. Shocked
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

I love those "filler" articles that they throw in there on occasion. Usually written by someone who probably only rides in a taxi... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Pontiac Fiero's arent scary to drive...just embarassing.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

I loved the line about putting a fire suit on before leaving in the Pinto. My neighborhood buddies Mom drove one in the mid-70's.. I rode in it all the time yet, I still can't win the damn lotto! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I loved the line about putting a fire suit on before leaving in the Pinto. My neighborhood buddies Mom drove one in the mid-70's.. I rode in it all the time yet, I still can't win the damn lotto! Laughing

After all these years this busted myth persists, and it pisses me off to no end. The media never lets the facts get in the way of a good story, and a gullible public never holds them accountable.

Quote:
Pintos represented 1.9% of all cars on the road in the 1975–76 period. During that time the car represented 1.9% of all “fatal accidents accompanied by some fire.” Implying the car was average for all cars and slightly above average for its class.[127] When all types of fatalities are considered the Pinto was approximately even with the AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Datsun 510. It was significantly better than the Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla and VW Beetle

http://www.perishablepundit.com/docs/The_Myth_of_the_Ford_Pinto_Case.pdf
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Kinda funny.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/9-scariest-cars-to-drive/ss-AAjufJm?li=BBnb7Kz#image=6

Quote:
VOLKSWAGEN MICROBUS
If you have an old VW Microbus kickin’ around and wanted to go for a little drive to celebrate Halloween, please don’t. You probably already know that Volkswagen’s hippie bus is quite scary to drive. All it takes is a good gust of wind on its flat side and the bus will practically catch air. Even worse, if a VW Microbus gets in a front-end accident, the driver and front passenger’s legs are basically the first line of defense against impact. It’s not a very safe vehicle at all, no matter how many good times were had in the back.

The wind comment makes no sense.

I've driven in fairly heavy side winds before, I never felt I was anywhere close to tipping. Almost swerving into another lane when a huge gust hits? A couple times.

If you want to tip, go around a corner too fast.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

After all these years this busted myth persists, and it pisses me off to no end. The media never lets the facts get in the way of a good story, and a gullible public never holds them accountable.

Quote:
Pintos represented 1.9% of all cars on the road in the 1975–76 period. During that time the car represented 1.9% of all “fatal accidents accompanied by some fire.” Implying the car was average for all cars and slightly above average for its class.[127] When all types of fatalities are considered the Pinto was approximately even with the AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Datsun 510. It was significantly better than the Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla and VW Beetle

My friend, while those statistics may be true, the hard facts are that the Ford leadership new it's ORIGINAL design Pinto could result in fires if rear ended. They didn't do a recall nor warn the Americans who bought their product.

Those facts will always doom the Pinto, whether or not it's was the worst offender of car fires or fatalities post accident during that time frame.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

The little convertible Mercury Capris & Geo metros were discontinued as rentals because of the unusually high mortality rate whenever they were involved in an accident.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Vw bus can and will blow over from wind, hell I've seen it blow over 18 wheelers. I was a bus driver (63 camper) from 1983 to 1987 every day and can attest to quirky handling characteristics but you'll either adapt or die. Very Happy
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Zeen wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:

My friend, while those statistics may be true, the hard facts are that the Ford leadership new it's ORIGINAL design Pinto could result in fires if rear ended. They didn't do a recall nor warn the Americans who bought their product.

Those facts will always doom the Pinto, whether or not it's was the worst offender of car fires or fatalities post accident during that time frame.

Like every car maker then and now, Ford did risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis, using guidelines provided by the government. Putting the gas tank behind the axle was more dangerous than other placements, but it was common practice and met the standards of the time. You may disagree with decisions Ford made, but the hard fact is the Pinto was statistically not more dangerous than its peer vehicles, and better than some. To imply it is scarier to drive is simply a lie, and millions continue to fall for it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Zeen wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:

Like every car maker then and now, Ford did risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis, using guidelines provided by the government. Putting the gas tank behind the axle was more dangerous than other placements, but it was common practice and met the standards of the time. You may disagree with decisions Ford made, but the hard fact is the Pinto was statistically not more dangerous than its peer vehicles, and better than some. To imply it is scarier to drive is simply a lie, and millions continue to fall for it.

How come nobody ever questioned the safety of trucks basically all the trucks made before the 70s when they put the gas tank behind the seat inside the cab. Doesn't even get a harummmpf or a WTF.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
How come nobody ever questioned the safety of trucks basically all the trucks made before the 70s when they put the gas tank behind the seat inside the cab. Doesn't even get a harummmpf or a WTF.

Not them but how about the 73 ^ GM trucks with the dual saddle tanks years later?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Proofs in the pudding.
Even though the vw bus by logic and intuition does appear to be a death trap.......actual statistics show it's fairly safe.
Why that is.....I think is a fascinating question. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Proofs in the pudding.
Even though the vw bus by logic and intuition does appear to be a death trap.......actual statistics show it's fairly safe.

Sounds nice but for a wreck I'll choose Volvo.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
modok wrote:
Proofs in the pudding.

Sounds nice but for a wreck I'll choose Volvo.

I choose my 2000 suburban.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

Quote:
Pontiac Fiero's arent scary to drive...just embarassing.

I was actually working in a Pontiac dealer when the Fiero came out. People were lining up to put a deposit down on them.

It kinda of fizzled a bit when the engines started cracking. I remember having to replace two in one woman's car.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 scariest cars to drive Reply with quote

I parked nose to nose with a Ford pick up in a welding shop driveway last week--I felt like a bug, a 6 legged bug---any small car is a deathtrap near any of those trucks!

My Dad loved the driving and driving position of the bus, he was a VW dealer mechanic/ salesman--he did often complain of being blown around and buffetted in a strong wind. I hope to have an opportunity to drive one someday--own one even better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: