Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Greetings.

I have acquired a 1967 Ghia and my intention is to finish what the PO started and create a useful daily driver that I can drive to work and back and on weekend excursions.

I have various other Ghia projects on the go but I wanted an actually running project and when this car popped up on the radar, it was too good a deal to pass by.

The car was originally red, was imported from Minnesota at some point and was owned for approximately 10 years by an older gentleman who worked part-time to restore the car. Unfortunately, he suffered several serious heart attacks and was forced to sell the car. I purchased the car from the Peterborough, Ontario area.

I have the intention to finish what the PO started but also to add some mods and updates in my own taste. The important thing for me is simply to have a car that I can drive a few times a week to and from work.

The PO worked to restore the car from the ground up so the chassis, brakes and engine are excellent as you will see from the pictures.

The car came with new pans, new brakes front and back, newly rebuilt engine (with 0 kms/miles) and as you will note, a very clean chassis/heating system etc.

The downside is that as he became less able to enjoy the car, he decided to paint it.... with spray bombs. Not a joyful decision. He cracked the windshield putting it in. Newly painted rims, brand new tires.

I am very fortunate, thankful and happy. I have not owned a Ghia with everything actually working. Feels very nice.

A serious body issue exists but more on that later as I will need advice on how to rectify it.

Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to transfer from my iPhone.

'71 Type 14 Ghia - Slightly less major project

'67 Type 14 Ghia - Drive-able project (sold!)
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Some photos.

As you will see, the car has parts from the wrong years. The bumpers are a good example.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Also notable is the lack of any emblems. This is not a concern. I have purchased almost the entire set.

The gentleman who work to "restore" this car worked from the ground up. The chassis, brakes and engine/tranny are in excellent condition. Here are a few pictures of the pan etc.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

I know you guys enjoy photos. A few more.

The tires are new and the wheels were sanded (not stellarly!) and painted.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

So here is a very quick rundown of the problem with this car.

My understanding is that the PO used mostly metal when fixing the body but something odd happened with the front headlights. I am not sure what happened.

The PO fabricated his own headlight rings. He did a great job. I like chrome however, so I ordered a couple of new ones. I assume the ones I ordered are the correct size etc.

When I removed the blue fabricated ones and attempted to replace with new chrome ones... major issue. Please see the photos. The headlights while looking perfect with the blue rings... are either not from a Ghia or I am missing something.

Any thoughts?

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Hi and welcome. first pull the bumpers. Go without until you get the correct set. It'll be $$ but will completely change the look back to what you want.

The headlight probalem. It looks to me that when he addressed the rust around the buckets he didn't have or didn't care to access the original metal. He cut the rust out and "plated" it, then got some mounts and made it work.

What is your time frame for finishing the body? I.e.: going straight to paint or gonna drive it for a bit. F your going to drive it out the blue rings back on and get these sections ordered from KGPR or house of ghia.

Headlight mounting ring, headlight surround sheet metal, and bucket for each side. Cut all of that out and replace.
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am certainly committed to fixing the front end. Just a question of timing.

Winter is cold here in Ontario. I won't be driving the car for 5 months anyway.

I am so happy to have a Ghia that actually runs, I am hesitant to take it apart. I am not worried about whether I can do it or not, just whether I should do it now or wait.

I would rather do it now. The spray bomb paint looks terrible. He also covered most of the holes associated with the exterior trim. Not worried about that though. I can find them from the inside.

I think the bumpers are for '71 era Ghias. I am not sure though.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Correct. Those are late model bumpers.

If you can do the paint and body yourself I would jump on it. You're no going to be driving until May any way would be my guess. I'm in Texas so we drive our old cars year round Very Happy.

I would at least get the new metal coming and start mocking it up to see what it's going to take. It all depends on how far back into the fender he went to cut out the headlight area.

You best bet may be. Solid front clip. That way you have the metal going back into the fender should you need it.

Here's what I replaced and how the new piece from KGPR looked

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Motorhead...

Thank you so much. I was just searching for pictures exactly as you have posted. I am hoping that I can do this fix to the car. I think I will spend some time this next week removing paint and digging in a little to see how and what he did.

Again thanks for those clear pics.

Do you or does anyone else recognize what headlights buckets etc are currently in my 67?

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new addition to the family!

On the bright side of having that current front bumper arrangement, it looks as if it sticks far enough out in front to actually help prevent any low speed damage from occuring to the nose area of your Ghia. Smile

Regarding those headlights, ...

... they strike me as being fairly reminiscent of the early Ford Thunderbird headlight design.

While they may not be "correct", IMO they're not really so bad looking - I've seen much worse done to Karmann Ghia headlights before.
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

While they may not be "correct", IMO they're not really so bad looking - I've seen much worse done to Karmann Ghia headlights before.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not so concerned about how they look. They look okay. The issue for me is that eventually the bondo will crack or I assume so. It must be pretty thick under there. Additionally, if I am going to take the body off and paint it... well... I ought to do it right and paint it once.

I could just paint as is and chrome the custom rings. It would certainly make for a unique Ghia. I would rather have it done right.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

The engine! Pretty basic. 1500cc. Runs like a dream which makes me happy.

This engine won't be in there more than a year as I have a project on the go to build a 1914 for this car. I will keep this engine in original condition in case I ever want to put it back in this car.

motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Those headlight buckets could be anything really. They ALMOST look like the ghia buckets but then they don't. You'll have to pull em out and look through the Bentley or online and see if they match. I have some from a 66', I'll look tomorrow to see if they match up.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

I think the previous owner used a lot of filler to make those Bug headlight rings fit. Just a guess...but you may find a lot of filler on this one (not out of the norm). Tough to see, are the torsion covers on the sides present? Are ther seams under the doors on the rocker? Looks like the "Karman Ghia" emblem indent has been filled on pass. side. More pics of your progress, thanks and Good Luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Well, I am hoping to find some time to start stripping the paint this weekend (at least around the front headlight. I want to see what lies beneath as they say.

I am prepared to get the front end fixed but still wonder whether I should take the body off or leave it on and wait a year.

Any thoughts?

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I am hoping to find some time to start stripping the paint this weekend (at least around the front headlight. I want to see what lies beneath as they say.

Good news is that a spray bomb paint job sands off fast Smile

Quote:
I am prepared to get the front end fixed but still wonder whether I should take the body off or leave it on and wait a year.

Any thoughts?

Start removing the paint and filler, see how it looks. Then make a decision on what path to take. My guess is there is a lot of filler on your car. Start at the headlights and nose. Get down to metal. A lot depends on your skills, desire, depth of pockets and end result you want. You might want to drive it and work on it. At least for a while. If you separate pan/body it may be year(s) before you can drive it again.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Well I have just finished ordering all the exterior trim I need to spruce up the car. Now I really need to decide whether or not I will strip it down. No point hanging all that beautiful new bling on an old pig. Embarassed

Then again, might be nice to drive it for a while.

I have either ordered or have already received:

Deck lid KG emblem (plus clamps/holders)
Deck lid Volkswagen emblem plus holders
Interior KG emblem plus holders
12 piece side/door trim
front nose VW emblem plus base and gasket

I also bought an engine stand (Empi) and a new driver's side OE mirror.

I am trying to decide whether to buy 4 bolt Spring Stars or 2 Liter replicas. I am not going to move to 5 bolt conversions this year. That is a future project.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Please! I need help.

I know it has been a long time since I posted here in this thread. All is well with my 67 but I am in the process of installing a narrowed beam and need some help!

I have purchased a 2" narrowed Empi beam. I have a few questions.

1. over the years, have the control arms dimensions changed? my control arms seems very tight with respect to their fitment with the new needle bearings in the beam. I know I will grease them when I install but seems really tight.

2. do any of you helpful people have any opinions about removing the needle bearings and using a urethane sleeve instead?

I would appreciate any help! Thank you.

kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia --- Simple Resto-Mod Reply with quote

Don't use the sleeves keep the needle bearings
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: