Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column lock question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
qlxmf123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

2013 Beetle / Auto / 37,100 miles / Push Start

Just today, as I was pushing the start button, my car's MFD displayed "steering column locked service now!" with a beep. I may have missed the indicator light because the message disappeared within 2 seconds, so I really don't know what to look up! I simply pushed start again and saw no messages on the MFD or indicator lights. I read the manual (everything related to steering lock basically) and saw that the power steering column warning light would either stay on or flash yellow or red. So I'm confused what the message was for and what it would mean for me if nothing stayed on or remained flashing.

I'm just out of warranty and really hope this wouldn't be an issue since the message or indicator (if it was on for 2 seconds and I happened to miss it) went away immediately. What could this be? Would this be an expensive fix?

Last edited by qlxmf123 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

Two things.

#1] Take a picture of the message. That way when they tell you CND [Can Not Duplicate] you can show them you are not crazy.
#2] You are crazy if you do not find the cause fairly quick. If there really is an issue, then the steering lock may fail. Normally happens at the worst time and you'll need a tow to get it to someone that can fix it.

One tip, I would keep the steering wheel straight when you shut it off. That way, if the car needs to be towed, it will be easy to move it.
qlxmf123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

Thanks I've been trying to video the MFD every time I start the car since yesterday.

Will the indicator light flash or stay on (solid) if this is actually an issue though? The light that looks like a steering wheel?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

steering wheel icon is for the "electric steering" system... some idiot probably did a alignment an got it outta wack... or bumped curb in snow...

lock is different... a lock would be the thing that locks it from turning... IMO not a good item to fail while driving down the road... some one can die!! and unlike a car with a key lack the saftey of said key making a mechanical way to prevent such a thing...
qlxmf123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get a video of the message to show my local dealership since they claim they've never seen it happen.

Now I'm confused if I didn't hold the push long enough or wait for the steering column to unlock before starting. The back of my steering wheel actually makes an unlocking noise and the steering wheel indicator light turns on orange for 2 seconds every time I get in my car and close the driver's side door. This is all before I start my car of course.

So I'm now thinking since none of the dealerships seem to know what's happening, that it might just be I pushed start too soon before my steering column could unlock. I don't know what to do really..
mk13nb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

I just had a similar message on my 2010 CC. It has a push fob instead of a rotating key, similar to your Beetle. In my case, the motor that retracts the steering wheel lock had began to fail. I would attempt to start the car. It would run for a second, the message would flash and then the car would shut off. When I would re-start it, everything would be fine. Essentially, if the lock would retract, the car would stay running. If the steering wheel was still locked, it would shut down the car. Codes were stored in the computer, so I'm surprised your dealer could not locate the issue. The dealer told me that it would continue to get worse until eventually I would be unable to start the car. I had lock motor replaced. Parts and labor where around $500. Pretty expensive for what use to be a simple mechanical operation. Good luck.
qlxmf123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

Thanks! Did this happen to you repeatedly or pretty often? And did replacing your lock motor completely fix the issue?

I'm going in for my maintenance service soon and wondering if I should still pay the dealership to look at it. I never took the car in because when I called to set up an appointment, they asked if this happened repeatedly and told me to wait until it happens frequently enough for them to actually see it when I take the car in.
mk13nb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column lock question Reply with quote

It started to happen a 3-4 times a week. Wasn't bad yet, but I knew it was failing. With winter coming and the dealership I use 50 miles away, I decided to have it fixed now. For me, I didn't want the tow and potential no start when the weather can get dangerous. I had to have it fixed eventually and, the piece of mine that it's fixed now was worth it. It's only been a week, but so far, no more issues. I had to pay the diagnostic fee, but they took it off the bill when I had the work done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: