Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PPG epoxy primer questions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
6t3bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm asking the most common question but all my metalwork on my 15 window deluxe is finally finished and I need to know what type of primer I should be using... Normally I only paint with House of Kolor products but I'm going for a very stock look and it seems that the PPG paint seems to be the way to go from what I read.... So obviously I should use a PPG epoxy primer as well.. Is there a certain type of PPG primer that I should use?? Can't help but notice their seems to be quite a few different types and I'm unfamiliar with them all. Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

6t3bird wrote:
Sorry if I'm asking the most common question but all my metalwork on my 15 window deluxe is finally finished and I need to know what type of primer I should be using... Normally I only paint with House of Kolor products but I'm going for a very stock look and it seems that the PPG paint seems to be the way to go from what I read.... So obviously I should use a PPG epoxy primer as well.. Is there a certain type of PPG primer that I should use?? Can't help but notice their seems to be quite a few different types and I'm unfamiliar with them all. Thanks
`

Personally I'd use PPG's DP series epoxy primer. You lay down the gray color 1st, then wet sand it with 320 grit, followed by a reduced coat in white (use DT870 for a reducer, you can go 10% on te reducer). Then spray your color on. Doing it like this will allow the VW color to match better than if you just shot over gray or black. I only say that, as if you look at how VW painted these cars, they went dark gray, then white, then color. To replicate the dark gray you can add some black epoxy primer to it. Use DP 50 for gray (add some DP90(black) to create dark gray), then DP48 (white) followed by your color choice. I"ve done this on many VW's that got stock paint colors applied to them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

To add to what Bob said,

Speak to the PPG dealer as well. Tell them what your goals are with the colors you're shooting. They can recommend which ones that will fit your goals and budget.

Also, be careful with those epoxy primers. If they dry too long like days/weeks/months, you have to sand them again before spraying colors on over them to give the paint a "tooth" to adhere too. Those epoxy primers really harder up. Again, get the info from the guys you buy the paint from on this important aspect.

I sprayed a door one time over epoxy primer that was final sanded and had dried for weeks. I DIDN'T re sand the primer. The painted did not bite into or adhere well to the primer. A piece of masking tape over the paint pulled it right off the primer to my horror. Shocked

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
To add to what Bob said,

Speak to the PPG dealer as well. Tell them what your goals are with the colors you're shooting. They can recommend which ones that will fit your goals and budget.

Also, be careful with those epoxy primers. If they dry too long like days/weeks/months, you have to sand them again before spraying colors on over them to give the paint a "tooth" to adhere too. Those epoxy primers really harder up. Again, get the info from the guys you buy the paint from on this important aspect.

I sprayed a door one time over epoxy primer that was final sanded and had dried for weeks. I DIDN'T re sand the primer. The painted did not bite into or adhere well to the primer. A piece of masking tape over the paint pulled it right off the primer to my horror. Shocked

And to add to what Bill said, with PPG's DP series epoxy you have a 7 day window to do something with, or you have to "scuff'" the existing primer and re-shoot it with a fresh coat. You could even "re-sand" with some 320 grit, and re-coat with a reduced layer of epoxy primer.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
6t3bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the info I finally have a few days off this week so I'll be going to to dealer today or tomorrow and hopefully spraying the next day. Thanks again.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

Before making a decision to use DP, read the product sheet. Although every PPG dealer sells it, it is not designed to be applied over bare metal. I learned this the hard way. I would recommend PPG etching primer that is designed to adhere to bare metal and use DP or 280 over it. Just completely read the product sheet or you might see a failure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rob R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

PPG DP40LF product sheet says apply over clean and sanded steel.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: PPG epoxy primer questions Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
PPG DP40LF product sheet says apply over clean and sanded steel.

Yup. I've used it over bare steel, bare aluminum, and even fiberglass without any problems.
I've been using it since 1990, back when it still had lead in it. In 1998 PPG came out with their Lead Free (LF) verion of it, and I'm still using it today. It works very well for sealing bare steel against rust.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: