Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch Reply with quote

Is it ok if I put this in my sonic parts washer? Washer is currently filled with simple green. I was thinking to turn the temp to warm. The stalk is so filled with grit/grime, that the turn signal will not self-return after making a turn. It tries to, but it's too gunked up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once I take it out, I was going to spray on some contact cleaner, then WD-40 or the like and finally some Sil-Glyde on the moving parts. Also, want to make sure the symbols on the stalk don't wash off in the cleaner. Advice? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch Reply with quote

Also, this part fell off the turn signal / WS washer assembly:

Any idea where it goes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch Reply with quote

NO!....DO NOT put that in your parts washer....and do not use Simple Green on it.

Not being pointy...... Laughing ....but I have to make this point again and I hope many are reading this.

Do not use Simple Green on plastics of unknown chemistry. Also.....and especially....do not use simple green on old plastics. And I would not use an ultrasonic parts washer on that part.

Why:

Do you notice that the plastic the steering collar mechanism is made of has yellowed over the years? This is one of the primary red flags that it is NYLON 6.
Nylon 6 is notorious for absorption of moisture. This causes it to become a bit disconnected at a molecular level. It loses impact strength and becomes brittle.
If the moisture or water that was on the nylon for long periods.....is from ground water....it actually promotes a fungus which is responsible for the nylon that turns to crunchy mush.....that shatters when you put any load on it at all...like you find in the centerlink and what happens to the spacers under the Palnuts for your fender trim.

The chemistry issue:
Simole green is not simple. Its a very strong surfactant. Its also an environmental pollutant that is cumulative and kills aquatic life......its dirty little secret.

Its only asset in my opinion is that it is a good cleaner with a stable PH...but at 8.5 to 9.5 PH.....its just at the fringe of being alkaline. Its what makes it cut grease well.....without being actively caustic.

Simple green will exploit aged plastic with poor chemistry.....especially when applied with ultrasonic. There are several chemicals In simple green that are borderline.....rate a B or C on nylon 6 compatability list. Add to this the borderline PH......and if you inspect this part....the blinker assembly in a bright light.....you can see hairline cracks from age. The simple green will exploit these. The dstergent/surfactant level of simple green is huge.

I hear people all the time saying I have used this or that chemical,quite a bit. Never had a problem. Yeah.....wait 5-7 years...or less. What might have lasted another 20 years will fail earlier because of the use of incompatible chemistry.

Also...Isopropyl alcohol is terrible for nylon 6. You can use ethyl alcohol with no problems.
MEK...methyl ethyl keytone.....is actually excellent with this and all nylons and so are most straight mineral spirits and xylene. So is toluene and xylene.

DO not use a carb cleaner spray because most contain isopropyl alcohol. Even though most of what is in carb cleaner I listed above.....is fine. I would keep water away from this part altogether. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch Reply with quote

I just now read this, and wish I had learned this sometime back. It explains some problems I had. Simple Green isn't as simple.

BTW also I didn't know that any type 4 had the windshield washer control on the steering column. Mine is a 71 and the windshield washer is center push button on the windshield wiper switch on the dash. Is this all different on the later 412's? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal and Windshield Washer Switch Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I just now read this, and wish I had learned this sometime back. It explains some problems I had. Simple Green isn't as simple.

BTW also I didn't know that any type 4 had the windshield washer control on the steering column. Mine is a 71 and the windshield washer is center push button on the windshield wiper switch on the dash. Is this all different on the later 412's? Bob

Your 1971 is just about the last that had the push button dash washer unit.

Here is the diagram and parts list that includes your dash push button valve.

The interesting thing...is that I believe that the steering column design and plastic shroud is close enough on the 1971 and earlier columns that you should be able to drop in the two lever unit, reroute the hoses and put it all on the column like the late 411 and 412 models if you want or if you run out of dash valve parts.

Here are all three column assemblies in better detail. there are still more that will fit as my parts list stops at August of 1972. The late 412 lever assemblies (and maybe some of these as well) had provision to add in a relay contact to use an electric put and intermittent wiper relay.

Your lever part should be #6 in the parts list part # 411 953 515 A. This is not to say the earlier single lever part # 411 953 515 may not fit yours. I believe the differences can be seen in the parts diagram of how the steering column bearing is made and installed.

These part #'s....
Assembly #4 on the parts list is the upper turn signal switch and is a type 1 part # 111 953 513 E and sub assembly #9 which is 111 953 519 E...also a type 1 part....which lists out on CiP1 as 1974 to 1979 super beetle and 1974 only Ghia and all late type 3....with a part # of 111 953 519 G

This makes sense as over the years I have stolen them from super beetles in the junkyard.

The blinker assembly the 111 953 513 E translates to 111 953 513 F on CiP1's site for the same years of super and ghia and late type 3.

By the way your dash switch part # is 411 955 517...and appears to be nearly identical to the ones for 67 beetle and 69-71 beetle, ghia, type 3 and bus that they sell on CiP1's site with a part of of 141-955-517 AEC

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-141-955-517-AEC

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: